Over my house today!

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

Typhoon and Spitfire display!

Hear hear Peter couldn't agree more, in sure those who flew and died defending our FREE country would have loved to be around to be " annoyed" by planes flying over   Matt
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
y[user=711]col.stephens[/user] wrote:
Isn't it about time that we in the UK began to look forward instead of constantly harping back to a six-year period in our history which, frankly, has little relevance to life in the UK in the twenty-first century?

Terry

It's the bi-centenary of the Battle of Waterloo in three days time, an event that caused major changes throughout Europe, not just this country. (Note: The war was a war against Napoleon, not France). I believe there are a number of celebrations planned here and in Belgium.

It also happens to be the 800th anniversary of the signing of Magna Carta today, and event that would lead to changes in the way this country is governed. Good enough for the HM the Queen to attend a celebration at Runnymede, along with a number of foreign dignitaries.

Relevance to life in the twenty-first century?

If people looked back at history more frequently, they might stop keep making the same bl@@dy mistakes over and over again.

Ed

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
A good point well made Ed. Thank you.

I actually thought Terry was joking at first. Okay, rather poor taste, but I hope he was.  

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Terry, I don't often react to a post but on this occasion, I've seldom read such tosh !!!

Without wishing to take your post apart phrase by phrase, it's just such an attitude to history that sickens those who have either experienced it or at least, read about it.  They died so that you could sit back in comfort knowing that you are free to do as you please - even complain because our current "guardians" have the audacity to disturb your slumbers.  I wonder if they'd do the same again if they knew what they'd died for ………………….

To write of the slaughter of the last century as "having little relevance to life in the UK today" is not only a crass statement but it dishonours those who laid down their lives so that people like you could say it "has no relevance".  "I'm all right Jack" is your attitude and frankly, it disgusts me.

I'll stop there ……………………………………

Actually Peter, I don't have an "I'm alright Jack" attitude.  As it happens, I have spent most of my life in public service. However, you have hit the nail right on the head.  "I'm alright Jack" is precisely the prevalent attitude here in the UK today and the Second World War has no relevance to many people living in the UK today.  Many people with whom I come in contact know nothing of our history and care even less.  They are only interested in the future and in making a living. Mohammed is now the most popular boy's name in the UK.  Germany now exercises control over the UK which would have been unimaginable seventy years ago.  Observe how Angela Merkel dictates to David Cameron exactly what concessions will or will not be given to the UK from the EU.

My mother and father both sheltered in fear, night after night, from the bombs which Alan was glad fell on London. 

Ed, 1215 wasn't actually the point being discussed, but you fail to mention that within weeks King John reneged on Magna Carta and tore it up (literally, not physically). It wasn't as highly thought of at the time as it appears to be now.
Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I'm a bit surprised at your comments Terry. I think I would have kept that to myself if that's the way I felt. I stay directly under a flight path for Edinburgh airport and not only get the everyday traffic but all sorts of historical military stuff overhead for the Tattoo.

If these planes are irrelevant to today's aviation what would you call these preservation steam trains that run past so many peoples back gardens.

That deals with the machines but your disrespect for the people who flew or fly them………….. I'm a bit lost for words. Whether it was seventy years ago or not. I think you should crawl back from under the stone from where you've just came………… Bad, bad, bad.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Just to get one thing straight Terry,i wasn't glad that bombs fell on London,i'm a Londoner myself.The point was made that by bombing London by mistake the pressure was taken off of Dowding's airfields thus allowing us to recover from the losses of the Battle of Britain where we were at a disadvantage in aircraft of 3 to 1.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Steady on Toto.  I think you should all lighten-up a bit.  No need to make this personal.  Nowhere in my posts have I shown disrespect to those who fought to defend our country.

Noted and understood Alan. 

Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
This thread is now closed.Apologies to Ron.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.