Over my house today!

Posted
Rating:
#198619 (In Topic #11023)

Typhoon and Spitfire display!

Arrived home today to find a Spitfire and a Typhoon (both from Coningsby) displaying and flying together! I think it's a practice for the Queens birthday celebrations soon!

Great flying and good weather!!

Cheers
Ron

Proper Preparation makes for Perfect Performance!!

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=13331&forum_id=21
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
You jammy person you.I thought you meant the WW2 Typhoon.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Good pictures. Ron.  They actually get paid for doing that!

The  best I could do this afternoon was a couple of hours at the flying field with my little radio control aircraft. Good weather but not such great flying.

Regards,

Brian

ECoS, Laptop, TrainController Gold v8

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
We get a WW11 Typhoon flying about around here sometimes. Sounds great but not as good as a Spitfire.

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
We see plenty of Typhoons (Eurofighters) here as we are just off the flight path to RAF Coningsby which is about 10 miles East of us. That's also where the BBMF is also stationed.

Cheers
Ron

Proper Preparation makes for Perfect Performance!!

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=13331&forum_id=21

Posted
Rating:
A Spitfire flew over my garden again the other day.  It's a regular thing here as I live close to Biggin Hill Airport.  To be honest, this Spitfire can be a ****** nuisance.  The noise is really irritating as the pilot goes through his routine of climbing and diving.  I telephoned the airport once to ask them to inform the pilot that the war was over and he could now go home!  The woman at the airport rather sneeringly said, "Well, he has to practise somewhere".  I replied, "Well tell him to bu**er off and practise somewhere else!"

Terry

PS Make the most of the picture of the Typhoon.  With another round of spending cuts to the armed forces looming, we might only be left with the Spitfire! 

Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=711]col.stephens[/user] wrote:
A Spitfire flew over my garden again the other day.  It's a regular thing here as I live close to Biggin Hill Airport.  To be honest, this Spitfire can be a ****** nuisance.  The noise is really irritating as the pilot goes through his routine of climbing and diving.  I telephoned the airport once to ask them to inform the pilot that the war was over and he could now go home!  The woman at the airport rather sneeringly said, "Well, he has to practise somewhere".  I replied, "Well tell him to bu**er off and practise somewhere else!"

Terry

PS Make the most of the picture of the Typhoon.  With another round of spending cuts to the armed forces looming, we might only be left with the Spitfire! 

Terry
actually I enjoy having planes of any type fly over, it is not that they are doing it 24/7.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
We had an air-show here at Biggin Hill yesterday.  Those noisy, irritating sods, the Red Arrows frightened the life out of my old cat.  Fortunately I missed it all as I was at the Chatham show.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
They were busy, they were over London at Lunchtime for the Trooping of the Colour.

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
Ron said, "actually I enjoy having planes of any type fly over, it is not that they are doing it 24/7."

Just as well Ron.  Having seen one of these 'hobby pilots' plough his fighter plane into the runway at Biggin Hill a few years ago, I am less than pleased to have one of them practising his dives over my house.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Bah humbug Terry ………………:Red Card

It's a good job that irritating, noisy "hobby" aircraft was around for "Britain's Finest Hour" in 1940 otherwise you'd be speaking a different language now - or worse ……………………..:It's a no no:It's a no no:It's a no no

Seeing the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and the Red Arrows makes you grow 6 inches and your blood run red, white and blue. :doublethumb:doublethumb:doublethumb

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Well said Peter, you have expressed my feelings better than I could.

In September 1940 I was one and a half years old. To me a Spitfire is not merely a beautiful and sweet sounding old aeroplane.  It is a vivid and forceful reminder that I owe my life to the men who flew them and died in them over Biggin Hill and the South coast. Long may they continue to grace the skies over Biggin Hill and elsewhere.

Regards,

Brian

ECoS, Laptop, TrainController Gold v8

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
( lifts head above parapet ) If you don't like the annoying sounds of flying aircraft don't buy a house near an airfield ( ducks back down to avoid incoming flak )         :mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=1708]mattc6911[/user] wrote:
( lifts head above parapet ) If you don't like the annoying sounds of flying aircraft don't buy a house near an airfield ( ducks back down to avoid incoming flak )         :mutley
:mutley:mutley:mutley:mutley:thumbs:thumbs:thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
For aircraft pic fans, herewith albums of Bournemouth airshows of 2008 & 2009

https://plus.google.com/photos/107343264059948197611/albums/5726788685679072193

https://plus.google.com/photos/107343264059948197611/albums/5726783394826921297

click on thumbnails for larger pix.

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
Bah humbug Terry ………………:Red Card

It's a good job that irritating, noisy "hobby" aircraft was around for "Britain's Finest Hour" in 1940 otherwise you'd be speaking a different language now - or worse ……………………..:It's a no no:It's a no no:It's a no no

Seeing the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and the Red Arrows makes you grow 6 inches and your blood run red, white and blue. :doublethumb:doublethumb:doublethumb

Great sentiment Peter,other than model railways my other main interest is the second world war,european theatre mainly and the Battle of Britain in particular.They make you proud to be British.Thank God for that German pilot who got lost and bombed London or it might have been a different story.

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
Well chaps, as I wasn't born until 1951 it wouldn't really have made much difference to me what language I was taught.  As regards buying a house near an airport, I can accept the normal comings and goings of the light aircraft that use Biggin Hill, but the mock battles of the 'hobby Spitfire pilot' cannot be regarded as normal activity at any airport and strike me as being downright unnecessary and dangerous.

Whilst not wishing to belittle the sacrifice made by those brave men and women who fought in the Second World War, it was SEVENTY years ago chaps.  Isn't it about time that we in the UK began to look forward instead of constantly harping back to a six-year period in our history which, frankly, has little relevance to life in the UK in the twenty-first century?

Terry

Posted
Rating:
The problem is, notwithstanding any issues concerning respect or otherwise for our history and those engaged in keeping Great Britain a free nation, aircraft still need to use airports and the airspace around them, which includes even hobby and other pilots.

An interesting discussion, but sadly not one which is ever likely to achieve consensus within even this small community.

Bill 

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Terry, I don't often react to a post but on this occasion, I've seldom read such tosh !!!

Without wishing to take your post apart phrase by phrase, it's just such an attitude to history that sickens those who have either experienced it or at least, read about it.  They died so that you could sit back in comfort knowing that you are free to do as you please - even complain because our current "guardians" have the audacity to disturb your slumbers.  I wonder if they'd do the same again if they knew what they'd died for ………………….

To write of the slaughter of the last century as "having little relevance to life in the UK today" is not only a crass statement but it dishonours those who laid down their lives so that people like you could say it "has no relevance".  "I'm all right Jack" is your attitude and frankly, it disgusts me.

I'll stop there ……………………………………

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
[user=711]col.stephens[/user] wrote:
Well chaps, as I wasn't born until 1951 it wouldn't really have made much difference to me what language I was taught.  As regards buying a house near an airport, I can accept the normal comings and goings of the light aircraft that use Biggin Hill, but the mock battles of the 'hobby Spitfire pilot' cannot be regarded as normal activity at any airport and strike me as being downright unnecessary and dangerous.

Whilst not wishing to belittle the sacrifice made by those brave men and women who fought in the Second World War, it was SEVENTY years ago chaps.  Isn't it about time that we in the UK began to look forward instead of constantly harping back to a six-year period in our history which, frankly, has little relevance to life in the UK in the twenty-first century?

Terry

In a word.No.

Regards

Alan

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.