A mix of fortunes

Posted
Rating:
Greetings Toto and all the chaps,

First of all Toto, remember that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing. Once you have all the facts and have also had a thorough discussion with your doctor and/or consultant, your immediate care path and regime change will be worked out. Until then, you're allowed just a little wee worry, but afterwards, such nonsense no longer becomes an option, as you'll know where you're going and more importantly, how to get there. Positive thinking really is a great aid to wellbeing and when you need to make changes, it wont be too difficult.

We're all rooting for you. Take care old chap,

Bill :)

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
:hmm so I wont go fully automated just quite yet.:mutley

cheers
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Not the news you want to hear, but as Bill said, wait for the full facts from your GP. Be positive about it all and you'll be fine. :)

Look at it this way, Matt eats celery, so there's the incentive to cut out the bacon sarnies when he is over wiring the layout !! Better off reaching for a carrot stick rather than a fag, although easier said than done…:roll:

Just remember, less bacon sarnies and fags = more trains and a healthier life style. :thumbs 

Cheers, Gary.

ps. don't pick Matt up and throw him across the shed, reach for the carrots and celery instead… ;-)

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
G`day Toto,

Good advice coming in later here which I agree with. Get the facts first and then you can deal with it.

You can beat the fags if you are determined to do it. I quit many times, but not until the last time was I absolutely determined to do it. I`ve likened it to getting into a fist fight, where your at that point beyond logic and talk, you`re going in no matter what………probably a silly way to explain it but that`s how it was for me……nothing was going to stop me. I just don`t know how to motivate people to get to that point but I wish I could and non smokers will never understand it.!!

In my case it was a matter of saving face. My then 4 year old son asked me why I smoke. I told him I liked it. He said but it can make you sick. I said I know. He said Mum said you can`t stop. That was it….Mum said you can`t……key word…CAN`T…..stop. That cut me to the core……that was it….fighting words………Gormo`s last fag…….15th November 1984 ( that same day ) and not one ever since.

So Toto…..I feel your pain and understand and wish you well……good luck old mate!!!!

:cheers  Gormo

Last edit: by gormo

"Anyone who claims to have never made a mistake, never made anything!!"

https://sites.google.com/site/greatchesterfordmodelrailway/home

Posted
Rating:
Toto, sorry to hear about your health problems.  Re the sweeteners. I try to avoid the stuff like the plague, mainly because of the potential risks to health as previously stated by yourself.  Ironic that we pour these poisons down our kid's throats (usually in fruit squash, etc.) without giving it a second's thought.  I usually also avoid sugar as much as possible for no other reason than I think it's probably not good for me.  However, there is a fairly new (to me) sweetener on the block which is derived from the leaf of the stevia plant.  You might want to Google it and do a bit of research before deciding whether to use it.  Avoid the square tub marketed by Tate & Lyle as it also contains 50% sugar.  Look for the brand called 'truvia'. You can get a bag or a pack of small sachets where each small sachet equals one teaspoon of sugar. I have had the stuff on Shredded Wheat and it is very sweet without the chemical taste of the other sweeteners. 

As regards exercise.  Forget the gym.  They are an expensive fad and after an initial burst of enthusiasm, you'll probably go the way of most other people and stop going and do no exercise at all because, in your mind, exercise=gym.  Do as you already suggest and start by getting out of your armchair for a gentle walk down the road.  Gradually increase the frequency and lengths of the walks.  Take note of things around you and you might start to enjoy the walking.  Set yourself a goal i.e. 'I am going to walk as far as the railway station and back', NOT 'I am going to walk to the pub' or 'I am going to walk to the corner shop for a packet of fags!' Consider joining a walking group and enjoy the countryside and the company of other like-minded people.

Speaking personally, I appear to enjoy good health apart from my anal warts, alopecia, scurvy, halitosis, diarrhoea, and athlete's foot (both feet). Have I mentioned the carbuncle on my backside?

Hope all goes well at the doctor's.

Terry 

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Chaps,

once again, many thanks for your comments and advice.

I'm confident that with the backing of my doctor and of course my own determination ( which can only come from me ) there will be a work around. There are many things that I can drop instantly without any real effort for example chocolate bars which …. yes … I do like but would not really crave in their absence. The rest of the diet …….. proper day to day food may be a bit harder due to my previous habit s with regards to salt intake and blatant disregard towards fatty foods. I know you don't have to do without, its a matter of creating a sensible balance and sticking to it. The fags…… well there will be the main challenge for me but it really is not much of an option now and more a necessity.

Exercise……. I like a walk so its no hardship. Its all about insisting on making the time and not letting anyone else rob you of it. I'm confident it will all come together for me but right now its all pie in the sky until I've seen the Doc and find out whats what. All I know right now is that I have type 2 diabetes and not the extent of its progression.

cheers

toto

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Toto,

Blame it on diet, lifestyle and genetics. The first 2 can be addressed, the last is wot you got. I gave up sugar (tea, cereal, soft fruit), no deserts (well, every now and again), exercise at least 20-30 minutes a day (laying track or ballasting doesn't count). Walk the dog or take up swimming - I do 3-5 times a week, 1000 meters, and walk to the pool in the summer. A Canadian winter with -30°C is not conducive to walking anywhere, so a walk around the local shopping mall on both levels twice gives around 3 km.

Good luck with the docs (ask questions).

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Tom watch out for healthy juices! .... I tried one once and broke out into a jog ... nearly killed me!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I was diagnosed with an enlarged prostate a couple of months ago at 68, already been on statins for nearly 4 years, so now 2 lots of daily tablets for the rest of my life,-better than the alternative I guess! I lost a stone and a half last year, and take a bit more care with diet nowadays, but it's still not easy keeping the weight off. I've never been one for exercise, but play bowls twice a week and am a walk leader with the local walking group so it all helps to keep me relatively fit for my age, though I've never smoked, so one less problem to overcome. It might take a little effort to make a lifestyle change, but hopefully it'll be worth it in the long run.
                          Keith.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I like to get out and about as much as the weather allows me, probably doing about three or four miles a trip. This has increased a lot more since I took up the photography. It's an excuse to go out. I smoke (about 25 a day), eat what I like and have a fondness for crisps and chocolate but no alcohol at all, (I can get into enough trouble without adding that to the mix). I am now almost 73 and I suppose I'm relatively fit for my age (don't ask me to run for a bus though). I see my doctor about once a year for a mini MOT but that's about it. There is nothing you can do when him upstairs (or downstairs) say they want you so enjoy it while you can.

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Perhaps have a treat once a week,say Sunday morning and have a bacon sandwich,grilled not fried.Something to look forward to.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
You can have most things but in moderation. If you want say …….. Sugar, you just have to decide where you are going to consume it. Do you allow yourself a sugar in your coffee, or do you allow it in your food or maybe a biscuit.

I'll listen to the Doc and give it my best. It is not a bad thing in a way as my diet was terrible. Time for a change. I'll let you all know what the Doc says on Monday.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
No Alan the bacon sandwich will only be a treat for when I visit to check on progress ,  good progress he gets the sarny , bad progress he get to watch ME eat the sarny.   Finger out now Tom !

Cheers

Matt
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Sounds like a plan.:thumbs

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
:mutley

I like it Matt. My progress can be measured on the mattometer.:mutley

Better get my finger out.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Although Alan you are quite right, giving yourself a treat is a good way to reward yourself for the sacrifices you are making. I started smoking at 14 was up to 40 a day and / or cigars until the age of 24 when I went cold turkey. I put a glass jar on the shelf in the bedroom and each night put the money saved in the jar. I did this for 1 year and during that time bought my first IBM computer , a word processor for SWMBO and also paid for a holiday , our first abroad. At 55 me and SWMBO have decided to drop some weight. When we go shopping now I don't buy beer to keep in the house so If I want one I have to go out and buy it. I buy one decent bottle of wine instead of 3 or 4 cheaper ones , instead of buying 24 packs of crisps we buy 2 good packs each , ( or in my case a bag of pork scratchings wicvh is my vice ) so any time during that week I can have a treat, but once it's gone that's it till the next week and no fizzy drinks or biscuits in the house ,( not that we drink fizzy anyway ) next week is our 12th week and both of us are on target to lose 2 stone each .  yes it can be hard sometimes ,but by having as limited treat available it seams to work

Cheers

Matt
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I'd go along with the treats. :thumbs

I only allow myself something "naughty" on a Monday and it's strictly rationed.  On Mondays, I usually buy 7 bags of crisps, 7 chocolate bars and 7 bottles of decent wine.

I ration myself to one of each per day until the following Monday (unfortunately, you can't get bacon sarnies here in France …………..).

That's what I call willpower !!!!  :thumbs:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Peter you is bad !!    :mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi all,
      Well last week Friday told that i to have got diabetes 2, and, tomorrow at 12 noon!!, this Dr is going to tell me what i need to do and other wonderful stuff:???:, if you like Toto, i`ll fill you and the others in when i get back and digested it all; taking the wife to take note as such, seem to forget thing now a days, as i get older, i seem to be accruing to many ailment:cry: , and i was just about to start to sort out the garage for my 009 layout, ( 14ft x 16ft ), i will see how my depression is after the consultation!!!!!!!!…………..
                                                      All the very best and regards…………….Tom…:);-):cool:

in 60s with a PSA of 2.9           told, that`s good:roll:, funny how the young Doctor tell you how fortunate you are, seeing as they are not feeling the same as you or your age:mrgreen::twisted:……mmmmmmmmm!!!

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Come back and let us know how you get on. Looks like we could have the same shopping list going forward. :mutley

Hope all goes well

Chin up and start planning that layout

Toto
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.