Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Can o' worms, Gents.

Ed

Last edit: by Ed

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Not really, Ed.  We've talked about this before.

It's very easy.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Must have missed it Max, or before my time.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
It's just a part of the forum you can't see Ed.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Maybe, Ed.  There was a small crisis a while ago over bandwidth and disc space on the server.  It was at that time that the mechanics were set up in case we needed to go down that path.

From time to time, members indicate that they would like to donate a few sheckels towards the running cost, to show their appreciation to Alan; as it all comes out of his own pocket.

I reckon that if we put it in place, they will be able to avail themselves if the mood takes them.

Posted
Rating:
Hhm…

I think I am guilty here of a costly idleness. ….

When someone asks "How did you do such and such…" or "Any suggestions as to do sumfin'…" I have often re-uploded a photograph from my 'pooter after failing to find it in the search facility, that surely can't  help, can it? Does anyone else plead guilty to the same heinous profligacy?

Sorry!

Perhaps the search system needs improving? There was a means of searching via a Yahoo account (?) but I don't  do Yahoo.

Personally I'd  be happy to pay, say, £10/p.a. for the excellent  facility provided by Spurno and his team of 'bon-ouefs'.

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I'm guilty also, Doug - of not tagging any of my photos as I upload them .

I've got close to 1200 of them on here, so if I want to find one, I have to go via one of my threads.

Or scroll through the lot.  :roll:

Peeps complain if the Gallery takes a few extra seconds to operate.  Imagine if we asked them to tag their photos as well.  :lol:

The money isn't an issue for Alan at present - I just thought that to quietly add the Donate button, might be a nice touch.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
I suppose we should ask members thoughts on the subject.

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Max , that was my original thought , If Alan put the button out those who can and wish to could make a small anonymous donation as and when they want to ,to help out . Not compulsory ,non returnable if they deside to leave and gives no extra "rights or privileges " . Must say I agree with Alan about the non commercial road though ,  this just drives forums to get more and more members , to bring in revenue to cover costs and they lose that unique friendly club feel that YMR has .they just become bloated anonymous unfriendly advertising hoardings .

Cheers

Matt
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Matt

This creates a two tier forum, those who do donate and those who don't, albeit anonymously.

Alan

If you did ask the membership, that again should really be some sort of anonymous vote.

Doug's subscription idea is fairer, but may put people off staying or joining.

Just my view, but as I said "can o' worms".

Ed

Last edit: by Ed

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

I'm all for the donate button as I feel its a bit unfair to expect Alan to take the hit. I certainly get a huge enjoyment out of being part of the club and I'm willing to contribute.
I appreciate that it should be on an individual voluntary basis as things can be tight at times for people as circumstances are different and its not the idea to exclude…..quite the opposite.

cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I wouldn't bother creating a firestorm by asking, Alan.  Just pop a little button on the Home Page.

If anyone wants to show their appreciation, it will between them and you.

I'm on www.protomodeler.com  Some of us donate and some don't.

The owner puts a little note under their Avatar, "Forum Supporter."

Not what I would do on my forum (if I ever get a round Tuit), :lol:  but it doesn't create any hysteria.

It's not about the money - it's the opportunity for people to say, "Thank you."

Anonymously.

Posted
Rating:
As I suffer from serious BW problems I always compress my pictures before I post them. This means a 2 MB picture is reduced to about 200KB. If I didn't they would never upload onto the forum from my PC. I use the normal Microsoft 2010 picture manager.

Bob

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
[user=1338]Ed[/user] wrote:
Matt

This creates a two tier forum, those who do donate and those who don't, albeit anonymously.

Alan

If you did ask the membership, that again should really be some sort of anonymous vote.

Doug's subscription idea is fairer, but may put people off staying or joining.

Just my view, but as I said "can o' worms".

Ed

Ed ,this discussion has come out of the blue really and at this time that's all it is,a discussion but to answer your point re a two tier forum, it won't happen.Donors would be anonymous to the general membership so no one would know who donated.If donors were listed that would create a two tier forum.In life there are takers and givers and always will be.I myself have used shareware programs without donating.At the end of the day Ed if members don't want to donate they don't have to,they won't be chucked off the forum.

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
At the end of the day, it's your forum, Alan.

BTW, I just went into the Mods' section where it's been set up as a trial and donated £1.00 so I know that it works.
Don't spend it all in the one place.  :mutley

Posted
Rating:
The N gauge forum have an anonymous donate button, with a monthly "target" which is usually exceeded, a small panel on the home page shows the target, total receipts and amount under or over target.

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Max you I'll devil you, splashing out like that , bet you know how to treat a girl right ? Heh ??:mutley:mutley:mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
I'm a member as well Mike and i did ask Tank about this awhile back.

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Max,Paypal take 25% as a fee.

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
The last time I sent money, as a gift so I paid the Paypal fee, not the recipient.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.