St Michael (nee San Miguel)

Posted
Rating:

Revised Revised Layout

Hola Ian,

I'm certainly planning for temperature movement and while rioja helps with most things at our age, I'll also be cutting the rails at scale lengths to get that authentic 'clickety-clack' and using insulated rail joiners and soldered droppers to feed all sections, which should help keep the track work in good shape.

The room will also be well ventilated and there's window shutters to control solar gain and a dehumidifier for the thankfully short winter. If it gets chilly, there's even an open fire!

Heat is obviously a prime concern, hence the need for insulation. Condensation is another thing to be wary of, so a vapour barrier will be incorporated with the insulation. The other environmental concern is dust, so the majority of walls will be plaster-boarded, sealed and decorated prior to any above baseboard activity!

Good luck with the heat!

Bill :cool:

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

It begins … the first build (Airfix Guardsvan) only been sprayed so detailing and weathering to do.. but its a start ….from little acorns etc……
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Ian,

It looks like a very clean build. Mind and get a picture of the weathered version up when it's done.:thumbs

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Will do Toto Ive already shipped my paints across to Nerja but am waiting for some acrylics. Still got the roof to fix after Ive fitted glazing and a guard … just got another 35 Airfix kits to go then …

Ian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

Yet another version of St Michael (nee San Miguel), this one is 180cm x 25cm and will allow me to have an 80cm fiddle yard at either end. I've obviously got too much time on my hands …. ? …. what dear? .. no I said grime on my hands …. roll on Nerja
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Well we've accepted an offer on the house and if all goes well our move to Spain will be permanent at the end of August, this will mean the first baseboard (80cm x 25cm) will appear in September. I will of course submit the requisite photos. I wish to include a disclaimer; any bottles of vino tinto that appear in the images are as a  result of my other 5/8ths getting ecstatic at my enthusiasm.

Ian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hola Ian,

Good news on he accepted offer and fingers crossed for a happy conclusion and random outbursts of infectious enthusiasm :thumbs

All the best,

Bill :)

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Good news Ian.
Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Great news Ian, hope it all goes well and off to Spain next month!! :)

Cheers
Ron

Proper Preparation makes for Perfect Performance!!

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=13331&forum_id=21

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Y Viva España, Ian :thumbs

Best of luck with the move.

Look forward to seeing the baseboards in September.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

Now that the impending move is getting closer  I have been made aware of the limited space available to me in our Spanish apartment. For that reason and the fact that ambition has overcome ability I have drawn up the above plans for a 3 part layout. Whilst it isnt exactly prototypical it is achievable and can be assembled on our small living room table (the alternative is the 30plus degrees roof terrace) it will also have a 4 track 50cm long sector plate at either end. I know its yet another plan but I am inflicted with indecision, hop or grape, screw or cork etc
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Ian, you may find once you get out there that you find a place to hang your layout , maybe a folding shelf along one wall or something similar so keep your plans fluid until you see what's available

Cheers

Matt
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thanks Matt we've already got the apartment so once it's assembled downstairs it's going on to the roof terrace (v large) on trestles but under a tarpaulin … an interesting challenge eh? Hence the vino tinto backup.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Ola' amigos

Well we arrived in Nerja (Spain) yesterday for the next phase of our lives so hopefully I can finally get started on the layout, however…. I've e put mi back out! As soon as I recover it will be baseboards (6mm mdf by Tim Horm) are go! I'll Assemble and varnish one to see  how they react to the heat and humidity first. My space is very limited in the apartment so main construction will be in a shaded part of the roof terrace

Happy days Ian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Fair weather modelling on the roof terrace hey Ian ? Sounds Idyllic !! Glad you are all out safe and sound, take care of the back and I look forward to seeing the start of your new layout :thumbs
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Back feeling better so collected vital addition to the layout… a wine cooler… don't want panic attacks! So hopefully tomorrow will start the assembly of 3 80cm x 25cm baseboards.

Should have a loco running this time next…..?

Ian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hiya Ian,

Good to hear that you've arrived safely with the kit and ready, back permitting, to get stuck into the railway. All possible good luck to getting where you need to be, according to the timetable of course! Signals are 'GO' :Happy

Bill :)

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thanks Bill I'm really looking forward to it … forgot another vital element… shopping with the other 5/8ths (the slim controller)
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Another landmark reached! the first baseboard assembled 80cm x 25cm just got to varnish it all over tomorrow then I can start on the track layout ... at last
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.