St Michael (nee San Miguel)

Posted
Rating:
#195444 (In Topic #10843)
Guest user

Revised Revised Layout

Having gathered all I that require (that phrase will come back to haunt me) for St Michael mk1, I got a rush of steam and decided to alter the track plan to one based on SP26 from CJ Freezer's book on 60 plans for small layouts. With the house sale now dragging and reading the feeds on this forum I couldnt resist the urge to build something even though its only in my mind (I'm sure Brunel went through something similar).

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
That urge sounds very familiar!

What's in your head seems pretty well developed, but don't worry, you can always change your mind :) There again, house moves can seriously get in the way, so I hope you can  build it before too long.

Good luck with the move,

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thanks Bill imagination must be at least 50% of the build, that's what makes our hobby unique.

Ian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

I have now decided that due to space constraints in our new appartment  (when I get there) to break my baseboards down into individual projects that will hopefully link together when completed to make St Michael (nee San Miguel). The image above is of the factory setting and will join up with a country scenic section and finally a small terminus station. A hidden 2 track fiddle yard will be incorperated at each end. The factories (possibly textile related) will be Lcut structures overlaid with scalescenes sheet. A small Pug will shunt the site.

Thats the latest plan and I think it achievable (Ive said that a few times)

Right now where's my vino tinto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Update on St Michael (nee San Miguel) the boxes containing the baseboards, locos etc are going to Spain on the 13th June and should arrive on the 16th.. myself and the other 5/8ths will follow on the 15th until the 3rd July so……Hopefully I'll get the first baseboard assembled ready for track laying the first week, then ..gulp …. the excitement could be too much so might need mucho vino tinto!
Can't wait!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Good luck with it Ian, I hope it all goes to plan and here's to plenty of vino to help! :Happy

Cheers
Ron

Proper Preparation makes for Perfect Performance!!

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=13331&forum_id=21

Posted
Rating:
Hola Ian,

Your vino tinto sounds much like my own local medicinal tincture, 'van rough', which makes pretty much everything seem rosier!

Good luck with the careful packaging of baseboards and rolling stock with just 6 days until steam up and southward bound.

All the best,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thanks Bill the boards are the lite weight versions from T Horn so out with the pva and ole' track Peco 100 with underlay and vino by el llidl bottom shelf.

Ian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

At last the layout is on its way to Spain (arrives Tuesday) I'll crack open a bottle of Vino Tinto when it arrives …? … maybe 2 as the other 5/8ths might want a gil
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
 Good luck with the moving Ian and enjoy the sun and Vino ! Not sure if its just me , or a glitch but your photos above are showing up as no longer in gallery to me ?                Cheers     Matt
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Matt

Thanks for the best wishes, I've had a look at my photos and it must be something I've done, I did update a few but possibly deleted them in error.

I'll have a look when I'm over there next week.

Cheers Ian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Layout arrived in Nerja along with 18 other miscellaneous cartons, suspect other 5/8ths probably had a hand(bag) in their contents.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi all

I've been looking at my layout (again) and am wondering  if instead of a factory I could insert some form of segment turntable.  This would mean I could move the engine shed and clear up the middle section of the plan. Does anyne know who makes such a thing? I cant seem to upload a picture of the layout but my most recent plan (streamlined version) in in my photo gallery.

Ian 

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ian,

Are you looking for something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Midg5jLUsM

It looks rather on the small side, but seems to work well enough on DC and DCC.

Hope all is well and proving fun in the sun for you and the bride,

Bill :)

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
[user=1761]Ianvolvo46[/user] wrote:
Hi all

Further to my previous post, having only 25cm width on the layout I thought about it some more (isn't it dangerous how ideas escalate) and I could probably modify a full turntable (2nd hand of course as having worked on military tanks my bodging and bashing is rather heavy) The longest loco I will be using is an  Airfix Prairie or 3F and only want 3 runoffs either end ,,,, your valued opinions please.

I've been looking at my layout (again) and am wondering  if instead of a factory I could insert some form of segment turntable.  This would mean I could move the engine shed and clear up the middle section of the plan. Does anyne know who makes such a thing? I cant seem to upload a picture of the layout but my most recent plan (streamlined version) in in my photo gallery.

Ian 

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
That's exactly the sort of thing Bill but £270 less, I could initially control it using wire in tube with kitchen door magnets to do the final line up …. or something
Ian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Yes, as soon as I saw it, I just knew it would be a lot of pocket money! I'd also rather make one and am interested if they were ever widely used in the UK.

Take a look at this for a second hand item, yours for £32:

http://www.ehattons.com/133785/Peco_Products_LK_55_LN_01_76ft_Well_type_turntable_Pre_owned_Like_new/StockDetail.aspx

If the detailed link above doesn't work, try this one and scroll down until you see the turntable. Their EU postage charges are inexpensive.

http://www.ehattons.com/stocklist/preowned.aspx

Cheers,

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thanks Bill definitely worth consideration. Just got back from Spain still no house sale yet but moving permanently 30th August (layout 98% there already). There's a bar owner in Nerja who's fascinated by the thought of a model railway in town so already got the first member of the 'track gang'
Ian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hmm, never thought of that, a model railway as a tourist attraction, I could post something in our tourist office. 

Work on the railway room here is getting closer, as the sunset viewing facility is nearing completion. Too hot still to be insulating a metal roof, so a clear out and some carpentry will start the ball rolling :)

Good luck with your gangers and all possible best wishes for the 30th August.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Good luck with your railway room  Bill. As its going to be hot where I am are there any pointers regarding the heat affecting the rails (expansion etc) and typically what sort of gap should I leave …? … Maybe if I lay the track whilst it is hot would contraction be a problem in winter …? … maybe if I drink another bottle of Rioja it wont matter!

Ian

Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.