Free Downloads

Posted
Rating:

Low Relief Houses

I've used Firefox for many years now, I use a blank page, - "about:blank " as my home page and have all my favourites stored as bookmarks. I do not like cluttered screens; all the software programmes I use frequently appear as icons on the task bar not all over the screen. As an example, if I want to find an image or other file to include in a post I don't have to minimise Firefox to find the Picasa or Windoze explorer icon, it's there on the task bar, & only one click   (can you remember the file name of every image you have?)

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi There                      Well I have taken your advice and have sent a P M to John, by the way about the downloads, the Signal Box printed okay but The Low Relief Houses are still among the missing so to speak and I have searched my downloads.   Kevin                   

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
I feel your pain, Kevin.

I'm using Windows 7, which I reckon is great.

Those who have Win 8 are happy with it.  It's just a new paradigm.

John Dew has just gone to Win 8.1  I'm sure that if you PM him, he'll help you.

As always Max you flatter me…………I can drive a car but know little about how it works…..I am afraid it is the same, to some extent, with computors.:oops:

Thanks for the PM Kevin ……I will try and answer it here and then those wiser than I can prevent me misleading you:lol:

My Railway computor gave up the ghost and when I bought a replacement last year I had no choice but to accept Windows 8 …..I reluctantly accepted the improved upgrade to 8.1……so I am not exactly an enthusiast

I prefer Google as a search engine but use Firefox as a browser……getting there with the new computor was hazardous and I got some malware that took a while to clean out .

I only use the railway computor for RR&Co and to do the occasional search……….I dont use the Windows 8 "boxes"  I just have the classic desktop with a few icons……just like Windows 7 or XP

I will go down to the railway room now and try and post some screen shots which may help you Kevin

Regards

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Sorry it took so long and I am not sure how helpful this is

On the right is the Win 8 start screen with all the app boxes…….fine for a touch screen or ipad but useless for a keyboard…….in the first column below the blue Skype box is a photograph which is actually labelled desktop………click on that and you get the conventional Windows desktop that you can see on the left 

So Kevin……..look around the boxes for one labelled Desktop

It would help if you could post a screen shot of your start window.

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Like John, I also use IE and Windows 8.1, or possibly later and it's my principle device, so is used every day. As John says, once you hit the desktop, everything operates like Windows 7 or XP, so please don't worry.

Once you get used to hitting the desktop pane on start-up, you'll get used to it pretty quickly.

Bon courage,

Bill :)

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
There are a few sites that sell PCs with  Win 7, which is what I did about a year ago when I started doing video, the 7 year old dual core pentium I had was struggling, so a quad core AMD with more ram and 2TB disk space sorted that. I upgraded the older machine with a 1TB drive and more RAM for less demanding tasks.

AMD Vision Desktop PCs | Ebuyer.com

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.