Bachmann class 08 sound project

Posted
Rating:
#192797 (In Topic #10744)
Guest user

What's the script

After hearing PeterMacs 08 I am considering fitting out at least one of mine with the same. What's the process if you want one of you own loco's fitted out with it ?

I may also be looking to fit out a Bachmann class 37 as well. Where can I hear it .

Any info would be handy.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Paul Chetter is a member on here.

Maybe send him a PM, Tom.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
He beat me to it.  :lol:

Posted
Rating:
The decoder and speaker/s are a bit of a squeeze but they do all fit with a bit of care.

As far as sounds go it has to be either Zimo Digidrive or Protodrive both by Paul Chetter in my opinion.

Michael

Last edit: by Michael Patterson

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the product endorsement. I am slowly making progress on checking these out. I intend to have a couple done. The 08 being the first and then possibly a class 25 as well to begin with.

I don't think I would have too many purely from a financial point of view. There again you never know. I could become an addict if they are that good:lol:

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Have a listen to Paul Chetter's 'Protodrive' Class 08 at the link below and see what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr1w0Nz0pZE

Michael

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi,

The 08 sounds really good. I am no expert on how it should sound but  in general I think it sounds realistic.
I like the way some of the DCC sound offerings go through the start up sequences. Amazing really.

I'll have a couple that's for sure.

Cheers

Toto

Thanks for posting the demo.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sorry but when I posted the link I meant to post a link for the Zimo 'Digidrive' Class 08 again by Paul Chetter.

Another one for you to compare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pptgwUpXR2s

Michael

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Cheers Michael, that was good. Paul's coverage of the 08 is out in three weeks time in the Hornby magazine. He e-mailed me and explained various options which will be discussed in more detail in the article so I'll wait and read that first.

It all looks good though and I'm gonna have one. Probably closely followed by a class 25 or 33. To be decided yet.

Thanks for the link. It's good to be able to play it over a few times.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Don't forget to let us know how you get on.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

Will do, no problem.

cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi All    Is that the Bachmann 32-106z Class 08 Diesel Shunter "Terri" No 08 691?? Kernow supplied me with one and fitted a Lenz Silver Direct Decoder for me. But they said that the Shunter was too small for a sound decoder, which was the only reason for me to buy one. Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I have one of those with one of Paul's projects in it.

It's fine.

Posted
Rating:
The Bachmann or Hornby Class 08 will take a Zimo MX646 (I think) sound decoder with a QSI small oval speaker or sugar cube speakers placed behind the front grille.

Michael 

Last edit: by Michael Patterson

Posted
Rating:
[user=1801]Passed Driver[/user] wrote:
Hi All Is that the Bachmann 32-106z Class 08 Diesel Shunter "Terri" No 08 691?? Kernow supplied me with one and fitted a Lenz Silver Direct Decoder for me. But they said that the Shunter was too small for a sound decoder, which was the only reason for me to buy one. Kevin

What do they know? Lol.

The Horby Class 08 will accept either a ZIMO MX644D (21 pin) or a ZIMO MX645 (Wired). Both are full sized 00 sound decoders. Plus either one or a pair of ZIMO Cube speakers. PLUS a Supercap stay-alive capacitor. And stillplenty of room for the driver and second man/shunter as the wonderfully detailed cab interior remains untouched.

There is a bit less room in the Bachmann 08 (and it's not such a good model as the Hornby in my opinion) so I was only able to get one speaker, an MX648 sound decoder and a normal electrolytic capacitor in the engine room. Space in the cab (cause there's nowt of interest modelled in there) for a second speaker if needs be, or another capacitor instead.

If you want sound in your 08, contact: soundsloco@btinternet.com

Or read next issue (95) of Hornby Magazine for a step by step installation guide for both versions. The brand new sound project in Peter's model is only available from me direct at the moment. (And only going to good homes, ha ha).

Kind regards,

Paul

Last edit: by Paul Chetter

Posted
Rating:
[user=900]Paul Chetter[/user] wrote:
…………………………………………………………………………………… The brand new sound project in Peter's model is only available from me direct at the moment. (And only going to good homes, ha ha).

Kind regards,

Paul

:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers

And great it is too - the project I mean, not the "good home" …………..;-)

Compared with some, I don't have many sound locos - yet - but, of those I do have, Paul's projects are head and shoulders above the others.  Ususal disclaimer - no "personal" connection other than as an extremely happy customer. :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Here's a quick clip of a Bachmann Class 08 fitted with a 'too difficult for some' sound decoder and stay alive capacitor.

It uses a ZIMO decoder which is plyable and can be bent to fit into all sorts of impossible places. (Not really, I'm just kidding).

Hope you enjoy it despite my nearly falling over in the middle of the shoot.Lol.

It's a bit shaky inparts, but the sound has turned out OK which is the main point I suppose.

https://youtu.be/jxPIFHyb5hQ

Kind regards,

Paul

Last edit: by Paul Chetter

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for posting the video Paul.

Michael

Posted
Rating:
Mine's the Hornby version which I'm still learning to "drive".  It has, as Paul said, many more extremely impressive sounds - I didn't include that "dab of power" to get her moving before the motor coasts in my video, nor the brake sounds to bring her to a halt ………….. :oops:

Very impressive in the hands of a "master" Paul. :thumbs:thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Very impressive indeed. It gurgles away there quite the thing. I could imagine my shed coming alive to the sound of one of them and maybe a 25 oh and a 37 ……….. Jesus there goes £500.00.

As Tommy Cooper would say ………just like that.

Good stuff

Cheers

Toto.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.