Rating:
Guest user
They look the biz wiz !

Cheers

Matt
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Very nice. I'm Sure Doug will test them for you!

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I think 3D printing might run to too many SLW vouchers than he is prepared to part with :mutley

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Ok its bugging me…I know I'm going to look stupid ( shush Tom :) )

What does that SLW stand for :roll:

Cheers

MattDummy
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
"Scottish Laughing Water" - Scotch whisky ………………………

"RLW" = "Red Laughing Water" - usually French red wine - both Doug and I live close to the Bordeaux vinyards ……….:thumbs:thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Many similar liquids can be described as "vino collapso"

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
"Scottish Laughing Water" - Scotch whisky ………………………

"RLW" = "Red Laughing Water" - usually French red wine - both Doug and I live close to the Bordeaux vinyards ……….:thumbs:thumbs
Didn't know they grew Whisky in France Peter :mutley

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Beggar!! Knew I should have known it. Especially living where I do …but zee leettle grey cells used to store that nugget have gone "ping" ( like most of the other lgc's )

Thanks Peter
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Any ways…back to the modelling, I don't want to be accused of encouraging the use of strong liquor by you innocent youngsters…[Stand-fast McIvor!]

Below is a tool I have filed up from a three inch nail to indent the triangular stone detailing that runs around part of the building. Pressed into the underlying card [but not too neatly] it helps to give relief to the surfaces, although the super effect of the texture paper doesn't demand it. See the second picture below where the patterned tile course is excellent. Remember, this is after I failed to re-align my print heads after changing two cartridges, and as ever, this is on the 'words and pictures', Adobe RGB plain paper setting.

Finally for now, the back wall 'indented' with the same tool and photographed to accentuate the relief. This back wall is a papered over area which would have been the flat roofed extension that I have chosen to omit. [TX01 red brick and a strip from TX49 for the stone frieze], the bottom edge scored and 2H pencilled  carefully to give a little trompe d'oiel effect.

I now have to find all those little rough bits that pop up when they sense a camera pointed at them, a couple of 'as-is' piccies and then some 'wevvering', lichen etc.

Poop-poop! Hope you're finding this interesting.

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Doug, it's inspiring reading and great photo's, many thanks :)

Cheers
Ron

Proper Preparation makes for Perfect Performance!!

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=13331&forum_id=21

Posted
Rating:
Doug

For hexagonal chimneys you could use bits of allen keys.

Or

Poke the allen key into plasticene, then pour plaster or pva into the holes and let them dry.

Paul

Posted
Rating:
Good lateral thinking, Paul, there is mileage in that, I'm sure.

I'd hesitate to try cutting A'keys as the last time I had to do so for a limited access job nothing but a disc cutter would do the job ( without de-tempering )

Doug

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

Posted
Rating:
Looks the bizzo Doug. :thumbs

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Bootiful… so sharp and tidy, not a gap or exposed card surface to be seen.

Lovely job on the window frames too… simply stunning.

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
I am finding this extremely interesting. Love the extra pop you get from those indents. That's one detail I would never even think about. Looking great. Bring on the wevvering.

Mike
Pig Hill Yard - a small Inglenook shunting layout for my boys, in 00.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Once again i am impressed with your attention to detail Doug ! I think my ' cut it out and stick it together '  approach needs modifying. An excellent model !
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Finally at the end of the build, i.e. no more bits left to stick on.

I'm posting these pictures to show the pre-weathering, tweaking state as I think I'd like to try and make it into a rural maternity home with an ambulance access at the back etc.

It has been an enjoyable model to build, seems to have taken ages, but it proves that you do not need to stick rigidly to the 2mm and 1mm card thickness recommended by John at Scalescenes if you are prepared to examine the instructions carefully, calculate the thickness of components that need to be 'wrapped' with a pre-printed texture and can make up the dimension to within 0.5mm.

If you refer back to post 17, showing the wall layout you will seethe green room and the yellow room are kept apart by two longitudenal walls and the length of the walls is unaffected by the thickness. The squareness of the yellow room can be adjusted by trimming a fraction off of wall A to make it match the combined length of wall B and so on.

Other than two test pieces in 2mm, all construction here has been done with 1.3mm amd 0.6mm card, simply to save myself a 90km round trip to the nearest outlet stocking card of any sort.

I'll put it aside now as the weather seems to be improving and we are anxious to take the caravan to
Guédelon Castle  Guédelon - Nous bâtissons un château fort  which featured in a recent TV programme, and the wheels need putting back on, loo etc set up and some local restaurants to research…Yum.

Poop-poop!

Doug

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Absolutely brilliant Doug and good tips along the way :doublethumb

I haven't the skills or patience to build something anywhere near the same mark. I'll stick to drilling holes in bits of wood and playing with a bit of wiring.

I caught some of "Secrets of the Castle" a while back. Take it your only going to 'view'.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Stunning, Doug.

You've made an Old Man very happy (in the nicest possible way).  :lol:

Posted
Rating:
Excellent Doug. :thumbs  Looking forward to your next build.

Terry
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.