Early Steam Locos

Posted
Rating:
#189591 (In Topic #10612)

RTR locos of 1830 to1850

Hi all
For those who expressed an interest Here are some pics of the RTR models of early steam locos.
These are difficult to find but they are out there if you widen your search outside of the UK.
They are generally cheaper than here even including the shipping costs. All the models represent locos that were either built in England or built under licence to British designs (the originals not the models)

Norris 4-2-0 1839 used on the Birmingham&Gloucester Railway (made by Bachman)

Saxonia Loco 1838 Built to Stephensons Design The Comet (Made by Piko Models)

De Witt Clinton 1831 built in America to Stephensons 1829 design of Witch (model made by Bachman) The crazy looking carriage actually did exist both here and in America and was a very early attempt at first class carriage literally putting a stagecoach carriage on railway wheels. The American coachbuilder Ismay actually produced a double decker version of this with open air seats on top which was abandoned due to instability.

Der Adler 1835 Built by Stephenson for German Raiways to Planet design used in England, (model produced by Trix)

I have managed to procure two of each of these locos which gives a good start to the stable of locos. All but one were obtained from overseas sellers to whom I am very grateful. Ther are one or two other types which i am still trying to get hold of none of which are available in England.
They all run very well considering their small size in relationship to later model steam locos but similar to their real life counterparts suffer from traction problems which is why the early railway builders went to such great lengths to level out the course of the line.
Hope you all find these interesting
Mike

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
One of those running up and down on it's own dedicated track would look really good to those modelling a heritage line.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not sure.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Look on Ebay MikeC. There are sometimes some early K's kits of Lion and a few others up for grabs. Ok you have to assemble them but you might be lucky and get one that has already been built.

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
Hi Bittern
I looked for weeks on e bay but no luck I was after a kit of The Lion but no luck if you see one please let me know Most of the locos I have got have come from E Bay Germany,France and USA and were not listed on E Bay UK
Mike

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
They look great Mike :thumbs

Didn't know it was possible to get rtr models of locos and stock of this era.

Nice to see something a bit different.

I've always fancied a pre-gouping layout, but as far as I know, there isn't a lot of rtr models out there and my modelling skills wouldn't be up to creating anything good enough from kits or scratch building.

Thanks for posting.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Some lovely locos there Mike and interesting that you mainly find them abroad !  Are they Ho rather then OO ?

Cheers

Matt
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Yes they are all HO scale which actually dues make a difference with such small engines. This becomes more marked when modelling goods rolling stock OO scale wagons look too largein relation to the locos. So I will have to adapt and possibly scratch build onto wagon chassis. Part of the problem is the lack of visual info on wagons of the time, many of which were one offs built for a specific purpose or route, so some educated guesswork is in order.
Mike

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That is one of the best things about this hobby. The ability to modify or things to suit. I think it's called Modeller's Licence. There is one thing for sure, I doubt there is anyone around to say it's wrong.

Posted
Rating:
Wow Mike you have some wonderful models and a joy to look at.

Digitrax DCS51, PR3, DS64, BDL168, BD4.
RR&Co Bronze
Sprog 3 for Programming my Loco Decoders.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Geoff
I've always liked the early steam loco's they have a real style to them, Mind you since I've started this project I've had to radically re-think all aspects of modelling this period. Things I never even thought about have become apparent in the research which alters the modelling perspective and therefore layout, even down to the way the early track was ballasted and the gradients that were possible, so the layout is gonna be very different to first planned. we live and learn
Mike

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Lovely model locos and different Mike.
As they are HO scale the track gauge also works well with them.
Regards,
Derek.

Posted
Rating:

This is an old photo of the "stagecoach" carriages which appeared on Railways both here and abroad around 1830
These look particularly unsafe it is little wonder that they were withdrawn due to instability.
Similar coaches were an early attempt by wealthy individuals in England to have a private coach on a train, as engines improved and speeds increased these had to be withdrawn from service.

Posted
Rating:
That's a fine display of models you have there Mike. Interesting too!

Always try to look on the bright side of life!

Barney

Posted
Rating:
"Part of the problem is the lack of visual info on wagons of the time, many of which were one offs built for a specific purpose or route, so some educated guesswork is in order.
Mike"

Not if you have this book…

Published in 1983 by David & Charles.
Terry

Posted
Rating:
That is just what I need, thank you for that info I will try to get hold of a copy, does it cover the period from 1830 to 1850?
Gerald Massey published some info but it was quite limited
Though there were some great diagrams of Pickford's pioneering container transport wagons of the mid 1830's
Many thanks for the heads up
Mike

Posted
Rating:
Mike, I have sent you a PM.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Mike. You might be interested in Issue 27 of the Great British Locomotives Collection, now available in W H Smiths. This issues loco is the Rocket plus tender and a coach (Times) in 1:76th Scale/OO Gauge. It might not be too hard a job to change the wheels on the coach and add some couplings. The tender might just need a wheel change as well but the loco would need a new chassis. Interesting Project. The issue costs £8.99. Not bad for the coach anyway. The magazine has some interesting tit bits of the early railways so might be worth a read. The one I bought had a mis-alinded buffer on the coach but I'll line it up sometime. Herewith a pic.

Also added is a pic of the NRM replica Rocket & coach at the Bodmin & Wenford Railway in October last year

Last edit: by 60019Bittern

Posted
Rating:
That looks interesting I'll pop down to Smiths tomorrow and see if they've got a copy, wonder if there any other early Victorian locos planned.
Thanks for alerting me to this issue
Mike

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for spotting that Its worth a punt for a nice loco
I'll let you know if I win the auction
Mike
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.