Check your printer .............

Posted
Rating:

Make sure your printer is correctly calibrated

Hi Peter

I am so sorry to hear about your printing problem. I know just how long it takes to cut those arches out.  It was indeed me that suggested printing everything  in one go but this advice was based on the colour variation I experienced on the roof panels……..there was only a few weeks (and not much other printing) between the two printings but the difference in shade was quite marked.

I havent come accross the sizing problem before …..one to remember thank you:cry:……….. however in North America as John said we have an issue in that A4 is not available and we use 8.5 x 11 which is marginally smaller resulting in small portions of some designs not being printed……..the roof Arches being one such case. :roll:

One other point…..have you given any thought to the visibiilty of the platforms under the roof………I am not referring to physical lift off access, I believe you have addressed that ……..I was thinking more of the day to day operational aspect. I omitted the glazing and cut back the roofing on two of the panels on the viewing side……

There is probably a more elegant way of doing it but in my case its proved very worthwhile.

You can see the shade variation above…….which is going to be much worse when I do the final panel…..I have a nasty feeling I inadvertently got rid of the roof sheet:oops:

Kind Regards

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
It's good to have my mind refreshed by that photo John - many thanks.  I'd forgotten just how gigantic the thing is.

I think I mentioned elsewhere that I thought your printing problem was more to do with colour shift than sizing.  I admit, I've never hit this size problem before - but then maybe this is the first time I've changed the printer mid job …………:roll::roll::roll:  I'll know in future to learn from those who've been there before me and remember what they say………..:???:

Regarding operational viewing, as you've hinted at, my idea was to make several of the roof sections (on the viewing side) "plug in".  This will involve fitting some cross beams between the main trusses.  I still have to work that one out and it may be that it won't come to fruition at all.  Your idea of an open roof looks very good - it also lets the smoke and steam out thus keeping the brickwork clean …………….:cheers.

Building this roof is quite an undertaking - hence it's taking me so long ………:oops::oops::cry:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Peter

As your new prints are smaller, check to see if you have borders turned off, then try scaling up your current prints to match the old ones. You can worry about the correct size for the next roof :roll:.

Paul

Posted
Rating:
Not sure if this helps or not, but here are some tips, taken from the version(s) of the PDF and printer options on my computer.

Firstly, the PDF viewer will open large enough to fill your screen, and will then zoom in on the file so it fits as best it can. This will be where your 174% or whatever it is, is coming from. This is just the size you're looking at on the screen and will have no bearing on the printing.

When you press Print and the dialogue screen comes up, there are two places you need to go to check sizing etc.

The first screen is the PDF software. Make sure:

1. "Size" is selected in the "Page Size & Handling" section.

2. "Size Options" is set to "Actual Size" and not "Fit" or "Shrink oversize pages"

3. "Orientation" is "Portrait", not "Landscape" or "Auto portrait/landscape"

4. Click "Page Setup" and check that the size is right for your printer. A4 in your case, which you've checked.

Next, you need to check your printer driver itself, which is probably where your problem comes from. You get to that by pressing the "Properties" button next to the box that shows your printer's name.

In here, I'd suggest:

1. If there is a "borderless" option, tick it. (Or untick it - try experimenting)

2. If there is a "Scale" option, make sure it is 100% and NOT "To fit A4" or similar

3. "Layout" should be "normal" and not "booklet" or anything else

4. Page size should be A4 here too

You've probably tried all of that, but just in case not, I hope this might help someone, somewhere!

It's been mentioned already, but I think most Scalescenes kits have a scale rule on them. If not, you can download one here:

http://www.scalescenes.com/tools/Scale_Ruler.pdf

Mike
Pig Hill Yard - a small Inglenook shunting layout for my boys, in 00.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for all the information, hints and tips guys - and I thought I only had to switch on and press "Go" !!! ……………:shock::shock::shock::shock:

I'll have a play and obviously learn more about my printer than I knew was possible but, as far as the scaling is concerned, within reason, I don't think it actually matters if it's not accurate, as long as everything is printed to the same (inaccurate) scale.  My problem only occurred because I changed printers mid-job.  Something to watch out for in future and certainly something to watch out for if one has two printers in use at the same time……………..:roll::roll:

I might do some exprerimenting.  I have 2 printers in fact, including those "stored in boxes because the ink cartridges were dearer than the new printer was", probably around 4 or 5.  On the other hand, bringing any of them back into use would mean buying new ink cartridges and, as the cost of those was the reason they were returned to their boxes, it's unlikely.  It really is a crazy situation when, for around the price of 2 ink cartridges, one can buy a new printer complete with ink !!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote: 
  It really is a crazy situation when, for around the price of 2 ink cartridges, one can buy a new printer complete with ink !!!
Peter, experience here in Aust tends to indicate the supplied cartridges with some printers are not full of ink.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
It's the same here Sol - the cartridges are only part filled.  Just enough to "get you going" and it's normal to buy the printer plus the refills all at once.

When they run out, it can cost around 25 to 30 euros per cartridge (my HP takes 2) but the printer itself only cost me 89 euros !!!

For some reason, I've always had problems with cartridges drying out or otherwise clogging after using the printer for around 12 months, not, I hasten to add, still with the original cartridges  - both "own brand" and "generics" - so, after having changed them a few times, I tend to look at a new printer because the models change so quickly.  My current one - an HP "Envy" - is certainly better than my previous Epson model.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
One answer to drying up ink cartridges and the expense of new ink cartridges -

Use a colour Laser. Initial outlay may be a little higher, a set of toner cartridges may cost more but do thousands of pages so cost per page is much much lower than ink jets, especially using refilled toners. Also not essential to varnish, toner is more durable than ink. I've been using one for more than 8 years now.

(I used to repair printers, we had far more Epsons with clogged jets than any other make, HP included jets as part of the cartridge so less of a problem, don't know if that's still the case)

Last edit: by Dorsetmike

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I have a Brother printer with four cartridges and i buy two sets of refilled cartridges for £16.00 approx.I have no problems with print quality or with the cartridges drying out. Cheap Printer Cartridges | Cartridge Discount

Not sure if they post abroad.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
The drying out is also related to use, I have an HP Office Jet 8500, it has high capacity cartridges, my friend, was impressed with mine - worked with both Windows and linux, so bought one as well, he has replaced his after 14 months and a coup[le of hudred prints, as all the jets were blocked, and the price to replace them was as much as the printer, however mine has printed over 2000 sheets and prints are still good.
I have to thank Mr Wiffen for helping keep my printer jets clean:Happy

Paul

Posted
Rating:
Peter, I always buy generic cartridges from here:

http://www.cartridgepeople.com/

My current printer is an Epson.  I have had no problem with the quality of the generic cartridges which you can buy either individually or even cheaper as a set.  This supplier has a 'no quibble' exchange policy.  I have been very impressed with their service in the past when, on the odd occasion, I have had a problem.  I believe they are based in Jersey so I would have thought they might send them to France.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Peter, haven't read all the replies, am on my way out the door, so this may have been mentioned. Early on yoy stated the window opens at 174%, and you change it t0 100%, then I got the idea you then print. The printer has to be set to print at 100%, for it to print the file, not the screen image, correctly.

Also, for you US/Canada folks, if you print out on Legal size paper, nothing gets compressed or lost.

Jim F

SECR and LBSCR
1900 - 1910
OO

Posted
Rating:
Further to all the above, I recently corresponded with John Wiffen on this subject, and apart from the 1" and 1cm check on the Test Print sheet, he adds the following….

"For your own reference, the standard title box at the base of each of the  kit pages should be pretty close to 72.5mm wide"

E fonte et origine…

Doug [Scribe to the Tribe of Wiffen]

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
That size of said Title box, is that the same for all scales, or does it change?

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
I don't know, I didn't ask. As I have no N gauge to try it on, I'm afraid I can't help you…sorry,

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I had an HP Office Jet Pro 8610 that was printing properly - until it failed to feed… It was replaced under warranty with new set-up cartridges and my older ones returned too.
Same computer; same driver; same paper stock; same settings as before BUT colours now printing a previously printed T026_TX02.pdf, are quite different. Don't appear to be able to change the colour management settings to adjust this.
Any ideas would be useful! please…
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I've got the HP Office Pro 8720.  I was a bit leery about ink jet but was assured that this printer uses oil based ink and won't dry out as my previous ink jets had done.  This has proved to be the case and I am VERY happy with the quality of prints.  Haven't had a feed failure touch wood.   :chicken

John

John

Posted
Rating:
I have an HP Envy and, unlike ALL my previous inkjet printers, I haven't had any problems.  The cost of cartridges on the other hand, is not something I enjoy.  I had used "generics" on some of my previous printers but didn't like them.  I now only use genuine HP.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Mine is what they call "smart" I think Peter.  It knows what cartridge is installed so would probably vomit if I tried generic.

You are right, I could buy a printer for what a set of cartridges cost.  Still, they seem to last a good while.

John

John

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.