Proposed 'new plank'...

Posted
Rating:
I love the photos of Linden, what a great layout with wonderful scenery, I do like your produce store. I have had a look at the link on the timesaver layout which is quite in depth. The first time I ever saw anything like this was when I was exhibiting Greetham in Sydney and the late Adrian Hoad turned up with a layout called Ladysmith Sidings. It was such a small and rather unasuming layout and I was amazed by the fact that show visitors were grabbing chairs and crowding around the layout completely enthralled by it. Adrian explained to me that it was a shunting layout where you shuffled photo cards of the wagons and laid them out on a board and then you had to shunt the wagons into order. It was the star of the show and Adrian never got to run it!!! I guess the plank thing may not work for my idea which was to produce a part of a preserved railway with a station, turntable and storage yards for rolling stock. I was thinking of more than 5 points. Oh well back to the drawing board.

Robyn
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Banned
When you think about it Robyn, even a BLT is really a shunting plank ! ;-)

Cheers, Gary.

Last edit: by Gary

Posted
Rating:
I'm so sorry Gary but I don't know what a BLT is??? Bacon Lettuce Tomato springs to mind but I doubt that is what you mean it wouldn't hold the Peco track pins!!!. Oh dear I have so much to learn. One good thing though, I now know that SWMBO is not a brand it's a She who must be obeyed. My education is gradually improving.

Robyn

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Don't forget RLW, Robyn.  :lol:

Red Laughing Water (not Robyn Loves Wine) - although that could be true.  ;-)

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Robyn –   BLT = Branch Line Train/Terminus  is one meaning

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
Don't forget RLW, Robyn.  :lol:

Red Laughing Water (not Robyn Loves Wine) - although that could be true.  ;-)
Only white and sweet, Max…. wine that is. In my case that should be WGW…  White giggle water.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=1680]RobynT[/user] wrote:

Only white and sweet, Max…. wine that is. In my case that should be WGW…  White giggle water.
I like it.  :mutley

Posted
Rating:
[user=606]Sol[/user] wrote:
Robyn –   BLT = Branch Line Train/Terminus  is one meaning
Thank you Ron, I will have to remember that.

All this abbreviation reminds me of my first venture into this hobby. I joined a club in Sydney and was told that there was to be a lecture on railway modelling at the next meeting so I eagerly booked in hoping that I would learn lots of interesting things about trains. The man doing the talk was apparently very knowledgeable so I took along a note book and eagerly awaited the presentation. Now you need to understand that I had no real experience in railways or railway modelling so I sat and listened to the presenter quite intently and I never understood a damn word he said. Statements like: if you are going to run pass then you will need 44's or 421's and some RUB or HUBS to include in the rake and of course a PHS is needed on any long distance trains….MMMM, OK, got it ! Branch lines would need 48's with some WHX's and K's and some S wagons for freight, the odd GLX would not be out of place. Clear as mud! Then he got onto trackwork…facing points, trailing points, insulfrog points, electrofrog points…this went on for so long I almost shouted "Will you get to the point!" Then he dropped the bombshell and said the last thing you need is an 0-5-0 shunter, now this had me seriously confused as I had a little understanding of this terminology about wheels on steam trains. OK, so where is the extra wheel? Maybe three on one side and two on the other, perhaps it's underneath…well I just had to ask the question didn't I? What is an 0-5-0?…there was an eruption of laughter in the room as the presenter held up his hand… I still didn't get it, and then the guy next to me said it is when you use your hand to move things around on your layout!!!! And there endeth the lesson, the notes I wrote in my book "what ever made me think I wanted to get involved in this hobby?" I stuck with it and I now really enjoy railway modelling.

Robyn

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Looking forward to the new plank build Gary. If it's half as good as Linden Ford then it's a winner………more exhibitions spring to mind. You'll need to ask for a bigger stand plot.

You better book jack in advance,

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Woke up this morning from a knock on the front door… Woo-hoo, the postie has arrived with my goodies from Hattons…! :mrgreen:

OK, not everything is from Hattons. The flex track wire cable and switches were bought locally, but what did arrive from Hattons are : 1 x Single slip, 4 x small wyes, Hornby tankers, Ratio Security Fences/Gates, Rail joiners - insulated and metal.

I have my baseboard timber at the ready, well ready to put together anyway. Now the track is here, measuring the baseboards out can commence. I have also purchased the low relief warehouse and arched bridge kits from Scalescenes.

Just got to head upto the doctors this morning and then its all go ! :thumbs

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Gary,

great to see that it all arrived in time to take advantage of your holiday period. We'll be expecting some progress now …….. no pressure mind.

cheers

Toto

PS get the camera at the ready.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Thanks Toto.

I'll be starting a new thread when the layout commences.

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

Well if you are going to start a new thread ……. the quest should begin for the naming ceremony…….its only but right.

toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Oh…. goody… bring it on.

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Max, you forgot the important one…SLW?

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
[user=312]dooferdog[/user] wrote:
Max, you forgot the important one…SLW?

Doug

I will probably regret this but my curiosity demands that I ask the question (it's a girl thing) What is SLW?

Robyn

Posted
Rating:
[user=878]Gary[/user] wrote:
Woke up this morning from a knock on the front door… Woo-hoo, the postie has arrived with my goodies from Hattons…! :mrgreen:

Really???? That's not enough stuff for a layout surely!

Posted
Rating:
Banned
It sure is Robyn. ;-)

There are 7 x pieces of Peco flex track in that bundle, probably will need one more piece, although I do have a few lengths of Code 100 siting around, which I could also use in the fiddle yard or the end of the fuel siding.

This is the track plan :

Each square is equivilant to 12" square. To give you an idea of length of track in the sidings, the headshunt is about 18" long, warehouse and cement sidings are about 24". The sector plate is about 24" as well, although I may get a few extra inches out of it.

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
[user=878]Gary[/user] wrote:
This is the track plan :

I guess the sector plate moves somehow is the engineering for this complicated? Where you mention a scenic break is that to hide the sector plate? It's quite hard to imagine you can get so many sidings from just 5 points. This is sooooo cool!

Robyn

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I dunno either, Robyn.  :roll:
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.