Micromodels.

Posted
Rating:

Your Workshop all in a Cigar Box.

Woodbines in the South, Park Drive oop North. and do you remember Dominos? they were in a paper packet as well. Only four to a pack tho'.
I remember Gloy well. Had a slit in the top, IIRC. Serious ones like Doug used Secotine…
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
I certainly do remember Domino's different packs had different number of dots. Are kids allowed to purchase dope' nowadays? The sort you put on the aircraft tissue paper, it certainly cleared the sinuses!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Yep - I remember both Gloy and Secotine - the latter came in a lead type tube and stank !!!  I also remember an animal glue pot which was kept warm on a small gas ring.  You kept adding little beads of hard glue to top it up.  Very strong glue it was too.

Couldn't stand Park Drive ot Woodbines.  Fortunately, my parents alternated between Players Navy Cut and Senior Service.  They bought them in boxes of 100 which they decanted into a cigarette box.  They had no idea how many they were smoking between them……………….. :roll::roll::roll:;-)

Keil Kraft and Veron were two model makers I remember.  The dope was bought in small jars about the size of current "weathering washes".  Pear drops were quite good (and you could buy them in sweet shops) but nothing came close to the effect of the dope …………:thumbs:thumbs

Domino have kept going but I think they make pizzas nowadays ………………:roll::roll::roll::mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Yes now I remember the Kiel Kraft models and for the really ambitious there were engines (they put your plane into the deck at a much higher velocity. Also I recall Jetex' motors. The concoction on the stove was called stew but might have been a poltice!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I also remember Kiel Kraft models,i have a nice scar at the top of my leg caused by a scalpel to remind me.Jetex as well,my dad had a model of an Avro Vulcan which we flew at Sandhurst Rec.Boy did it go.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Unfortunately my early skill levels were quite poor, so much so I even snapped the wings of those basic planes where you ( non too gently in mt case) slotted the balsa wings through the thin balsa fuselage and adjusted the lead plug in the nose! Still it was all part or the apprenticeship of model making.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
My brother (older) had a Jetex motor fitted to a Keil Kraft Gloster Javelin.  That was a super model too. :thumbs  If I remember rightly, didn't the Jetex work from a tablet of "rocket fuel" you put into the motor and lit …………:roll::roll::roll:

You see what you've started Terry - a real old trip down Memory Lane - the older we are, the longer the lane ………………:cheers:cheers:cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
A peer of mine fitted 2 jetex engines to a helicopter…
 If found I think there's still a reward on it, can't remember exactly how much but there was a ha'penny involved.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote: 
  If I remember rightly, didn't the Jetex work from a tablet of "rocket fuel" you put into the motor and lit …………:roll::roll::roll:

You see what you've started Terry - a real old trip down Memory Lane - the older we are, the longer the lane ………………:cheers:cheers:cheers
Yes it was a tablet Peter.Long memory,i was only five,that's fifty five years ago.I can't remember what i did yesterday.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Petermac said, "You see what you've started Terry - a real old trip down Memory Lane - the older we are, the longer the lane ………………" :cheers:cheers:cheers

I couldn't possibly comment.  I'm much too young!

Terry

Posted
Rating:
A sort of cul-de-sac maybe ........................:mutley:mutley

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
For those of you who are old enough to be following this thread, I have made some further additions.  In post 25 I have added a picture of Set NS4.  In post 26 I have added picture of Set X2 plus a picture of the card for the LSWR Restaurant Car.  In post 53 I have added a picture of Set OW, the Oil Cracking Plant plus a card from the set.

Terry

Posted
Rating:

That's the ad that hooked me, taks me back to 'Wickes' second hand book shop in North Camp and piles of 3d war comics and railway magazines. Great memories, thank you.

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
For those who were diligently following this thread over the Christmas period, please have a look at the 58th post to see a newly completed model of ARC7  Newgate.

Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
Great!

Some of the rearmost cut-outs, especially the 'Gates' would make great little fillers, just viewable as a'distant' glance between two foreground buildings.

SWMBO has fallen for the motor cruiser and especially the tugboat….

"Would it be difficult?" she asks.

'Oh no dear, just let me have your best manicure scissors, I'll grind them down a bit smaller….'

Nice work, Terry.

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
It has been good to reacquaint myself with the post, they are so detailed I can't think of anything current that is of such quality bearing in mind the medium
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thank you both.  Yes, they were well designed Ian.

Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Posted
Rating:
Very nice little model Terry, from there I Googled Newgate... learn something new everyday... cheers. Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Marty.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
A couple of further updates for you Micromodel lovers.

In the 10th post, I have added set HM, a Stirling Single and a LNER A4 Pacific, which I have just acquired.

Similarly, in the 38th post I have added the original Modelcraft set 'The Romance of Sail' to compare with the later Micromodels set 'Six Small Ships and Galleons'.

Terry
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.