Micromodels.

Posted
Rating:

Your Workshop all in a Cigar Box.

The Micromodels story…

Set S2 - HMS Vanguard - 'The largest warship ever built in Great Britain', according to the wrapper.  First released in 1949, price 1/0d. (5p).  This set contained only three cards making it the smallest Micromodel issued.  The original issue commemorated the forthcoming visit of HRH King George V1 and Queen Elizabeth to New Zealand and Australia.  Here is the 1953 reprint…

Set S3 - HMS Amethyst. Published in 1949.  There were four cards in this set depicting the frigate which was involved in the famous 'Yangste Incident' in the same year.  For those who are in the dark - HMS Amethyst was quite lawfully cruising down the River Yangste when she was fired upon by the Chinese.  She was effectively held prisoner until she and her gallant crew fought their way to freedom. The 1957 film starring matinee idol Richard Todd tells the story.  The wrapper appears to show the frigate running the gauntlet of the Chinese big guns.  Here is the 1953 reprint…
The kit makes up into quite a nice model.  This example is made from a scan of the kit.

Set S4 - Cutty Sark.  The famous Tea Clipper now on permanent display at Greenwich, London.  Issued in 1950 at a cost of 2/0d.  As well as six cards, the set also contains a sail sheet printed on thin paper.  Unfortunately, the wrapper illustration is not as attractive as many other Micromodels.  This example dates from 1953.
Set S5 - HMS Victory - Nelson's Flagship.  Released in 1951 at a cost of 2s.0d.  The illustration is of the 1952 reprint costing 2/6d. This set is one of the few which have the illustration printed at ninety degrees to all the others in the series.

Set S6 - The Showboat Cotton Blossom.  Printed in 1952 at a cost of 2/6d.  One presumes that Geoffrey Heighway had seen the 1951 MGM musical film 'Show Boat' starring Kathryn Grayson, Howard Keel and Ava Gardner.  Here is a copy of the 1955 reprint…

To be continued…
Terry

Last edit: by col.stephens

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Again fascinating! Love the way you post the feeds …or feed the posts… I'm now committed to finding one to build! more please regards Ian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ian, if you look on ebay, you will find a number of models being sold by Autocraft Ltd. They are called 'Micro New Models' and are scans of the originals.  Buying one of these might be your best way forward as they are cheaper than the originals.  However, it might be best to wait until I finish this thread as there are a lot of models to go yet and you might see something you like.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
The Micromodels story…

Sets S7 & S8 were never issued.

Set S9 - Queen Elizabeth and Mauretania.  In 1953, at a cost of 3/4d. you could buy yourself two liners.  There were eight cards in this pack and a base strip which wrapped around the cards inside the outer wrapper.  Five cards for the Queen Elizabeth and three cards for the Mauretania. 
Set S10 - SS United States.  Another 1953 introduction at a cost of 2/6d.  Four cards and a wrap around base.
 Set S11 - Thames Sailing Barge and Canal Narrow Boat.  Yours in 1953 for the princely sum of 2/6d. (12.5p)  No reprint was ever undertaken for this set.  This set contains six cards plus a half-card base and a thin sheet of printed brown paper for the sails.
S12 was never issued.

To be continued…

Terry

Posted
Rating:
The Micromodels story…

Set S13 - The Royal Yacht 'Bluebottle'.  Issued in 1954 at a cost of 2/6d. This set contains six cards and brown paper for the sails and will make two models.  The former royal yacht 'Bluebottle' was presented to HM The Queen and Prince Philip as a wedding present.  It is now on show at the National Maritime Museum, Falmouth, Cornwall.  Another set with the wrapper illustration at ninety degrees to most of the others in the series.

Set S14 - Pulling & Sailing Lifeboat and Motor Lifeboat.  Two boats could be modelled from this set issued in 1955 at a cost of 3/0d.  No reprint was ever issued making it scarce.  Six cards, a half-card base and a brown paper sail sheet were included.  Very attractive illustration on the wrapper.

Set S15 - Maori Ceremonial War Canoe.  Published in 1955 at a cost of 3/0d.  Never reprinted. This set contains six cards and a base strip.  It was supposed to be one of a three-part set, the other two being a Maori Meeting House and a Maori Village.  Unfortunately, these models were never produced.

Sets S16 and S17 were never issued.  
Set No.1 - New Series - 'The Mayflower'.  This was the last Micromodel produced and was issued by the new owners after Geoffrey Heighway's death.  Published in 1957 at a cost of 4/0d.  It used the original artwork by Geoffrey Heighway for his Set 8, which was never issued.  The 'Mayflower' also appears in Set S1.  Apparently, the model was originally conceived to commemorate the sailing of a full-sized replica of 'Mayflower' from the UK to the US.
Promotional Model - Donald Campbell's 'Bluebird'.  This model was produced for the Mobil Oil Company and originally consisted of a single large sheet, folded to resemble a normal Micromodel.  As is well known, 'Bluebird' was owned by Donald Campbell.  Tragically, he was killed in January, 1967, whilst attempting to break his own water speed-record on Coniston Water in England's Lake District. This model was later reprinted in its original form and subsequently in the usual Micromodel six-card and wrapper format, by Autocraft Ltd., the current owners of the printing plates.  Here is the later six-card version with its very attractive wrapper…
That concludes the Micromodels Ltd. nautical models.  Next, I would like to briefly look at the nautical models from Modelcraft Ltd.  
More soon…
Terry

Posted
Rating:
The Micromodels story…

…or to be more accurate, the Modelcraft story.

Around 1941 0r 1942,  Modelcraft Ltd. produced their set A1 - 'The Romance of Sail' which was later reproduced by Micromodels Ltd. as their set S1 - 'Six Little Ships & Galleons'.

Set B1 - British Fighting Ships.  Probably published in 1942.  Six cards depicting Nelson's Flagship HMS Victory, the Battleship HMS King George V, the Aircraft Carrier HMS Ark Royal, the submarine HMS Sea Lion, Motor Torpedo Boat (MTB) 102, and the Destroyer HMS Cossack.  If you have this set I would happily receive it as a belated Christmas present!  Here is MTB 102 constructed from a scan…
Between 1945 and 1947 Modelcraft Ltd. produced three nautical models which could be propelled in water by using methylated spirits to produce a chemical reaction at the rear of the vessel, thus moving it forward through the water.
The first model was The Queen Mary.  The set contained two cards, albeit one was the same length as two cards.  Priced at 9d.  The first issue had the name 'Minicraft' on the wrapper but on the subsequent reprint this had been changed to the word 'Microcraft'.
Around 1947 Modelcraft Ltd. produced their Cabin Cruiser under the 'Microcraft' name, at a cost of 9d.  Two cards in a wrapper, although one card is the same length as two cards.  A later reprint produced the wrapper and cards on a large single sheet of card.  Here is a photo of half of that sheet…
And the front when folded…
I made this model from a scan…
The final vessel in this group was the 'Microcraft' Thames Tug. This is extremely rare nowadays.  However, I have constructed this rather attractive model from a scan…
That's the end of our journey through the nautical models.
Anyone interested in aircraft?
Terry

Posted
Rating:
I'm interested in the aircraft Terry  :thumbs

Who made similar model boats but with a small trough at the stern for baking powder ?  As I said earlier on in this thread, I clearly remember making them - probably in the early to mid 50's.   They had to be waterproofed with banana oil - it came in a small bottle and, once dried, it resembled shellac in appearance - a sort of glossy light brown colour.  You put a tiny bit of baking powder in the stern "pocket" and, as it reacted with water, it drove the boat along.  Much safer than  meths I'd have thought ………….:roll::roll:

I could have sworn they were "Micromodels" but obviously I'm mistaken.  :hmm

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Peter, unfortunately I am not quite old enough to remember them.  They sound interesting though.

Standby for the aircraft.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
The Micromodels story…

So, onto the aircraft models.  This is a very small group with only four sets produced by Micromodels Ltd.

Set AV1 - Airliners - Bristol Brabazon and de Havilland Comet.  First issued in 1949 at 1/8d. and later reissued in 1953 at 2/6d.  Both of these aircraft were topical in 1949 as the Brabazon was the World's largest land airplane and the Comet was the first jet airliner.  The set contained six cards which were printed in silver, making them very attractive.  Very rare.

Set AV2 - Wright Biplane & Bleriot Monoplane.  The Wright Biplane being the first aircraft to fly and the Bleriot Monoplane being the first to cross the English Channel.  Printed in 1952 at 2/6d.  Contains the usual six cards inside the attractive wrapper.

Set AV3 - English Electric Canberra B Mk 2 and Avro 707B.  Published in 1953 at a cost of 2/6d.  Never reprinted.  Six cards inside the wrapper.  Another very rare model.
 Set AV4 - Bristol 173, Westland Sikorsky and Autogiro C30.  Published in 1953 for 2/6d.  You got three helicopter models in this six-card pack for your money.  Attractive wrapper with the Bristol 173 illustrated thereon.

And so to the Modelcraft Ltd. aircraft…

There were four sets in the Modelcraft range.

Set E1 - Allied Fighter Planes.  Probably released around 1942/3 at 1/3d.  Six cards with six models thereon, these being  Spitfire Mk VI,  Defiant,  Airacobra,  Hurricane Mk IIc,  Tomahawk, and Thunderbolt.  Extremely rare set.  If you have this set you should contact me with your address so that I can burgle your house!  You have my word that I won't take anything else!
For your enjoyment, here is the Spitfire from this set, constructed from a scan, alongside a UK 20p. coin.  For the information of those readers outside the UK, this is a VERY small coin.  You might be interested to learn that the aerial running from behind the cockpit to the tail is part of a cat's whisker.  I have five cats so there is a constant supply!  Without further ado…

Set F1 - Fighter Bombers.  This 1943 set of six cards made three models.  For your 1/3d. you became the proud owner of a Westland Whirlwind, a Bristol Beaufighter and a de Havilland Mosquito.  Here is the set…
For your enjoyment, I have included here one card from each model…
Set G1 - Heavy Bombers.  Released in 1943 at a cost of 1/3d.  This set contained six cards which made-up into two aircraft, the Boeing Fortress II and the Short Stirling I.
For your further enjoyment, here are the first cards for each aircraft…
Set H1 - Flying Boats.  Probably issued in 1944 at a cost of 1/6d.  Eight cards making up into two aircraft, the Short Sunderland and the Consolidated Catalina.  Here is the Catalina constructed from a scan…

That brings to an end the Aircraft in this Micromodel extravaganza.

There are a small number of miscellaneous models to cover next before moving on to the largest group, the Architectural models.

To be continued…
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Keep them click Terry excellent!
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
My texting finger's the last part of me to sober up at this time of year, the last post…?..should have read 'coming' not 'click' Apparently I've gone all predictive.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Fascinating. I had no idea that there were so many made.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
The Micromodels story…

Geoffrey Heighway produced a number of Micromodels which did not fit into any of the larger categories.  We can group them under the heading 'Miscellaneous' and I will deal with them next.

Set BE - Beam Engine.  Produced in 1950.  For 1/8d. you could build your own Cornish Beam Engine.  This is a very rare Micromodel.  I did partly construct it some time ago.  Here is the work so far…

Set FC - Mammoth Floating Crane.  This model of the 200ton floating crane owned by the Mersey Docks & Harbour Board, Liverpool, was first published in 1948 at a cost of 1/3d.  The six cards were printed in black and white for hand-colouring.  Another very rare model. Here is a later reprint by Autocraft Ltd…
 Set MC1 - B.R.M., G.P. Bugatti & 1903 G.B. Mercedes.  The only Micromodel set to feature automobiles was produced in 1954 at a price of 2/6d.  Quite a common set.
Set OW - Oil Well 'Abadan' set.  Cracking Plant & Model Tanker.  Printed in 1951, priced 2/0d.  Contained six cards in black and white for hand-colouring.  Not really a subject to 'set you alight'!
This is a card from the set…
Set T0 - Threshing Outfit.  Originally published in 1949 for 1/8d.  This set is printed in colour and contained  a Traction Engine, Straw Elevator and a Threshing Machine.  Here is the 1952 reprint…
Set T02 - Mammoth Shovel Excavator.  The first issue in 1951, priced 2/0d. contained six cards printed in black and white for hand-colouring.  It was reprinted in 1952 in colour at 2/6d. The later set is very common.
TOY1 - Happee 'Dracow' The Gentle Dragon.  A very unusual Micromodel in that this was a moving toy.  Oh Dear, what on earth were you thinking of Geoffrey?  Released in 1949 at 1/8d.
  Set

TOY2 - 'Putred' The Long-Necked Snoop.  Another moving toy where the head nods.  One assumes that Geoffrey Heighway was venting his spleen, having had a visit from some officious individual whom the model purports to represent. Published in 1949, priced 1/8d.  Should have stuck to the more serious subjects..
Set TR1 - London Transport 'Feltham' Type Tram, Merryweather Steam 'Dummy' With Trailer Car and North Metropolitan Horse Tram.  One for the tram enthusiasts.  Published in 1953 at 2/6d.
There were a few miscellaneous packet models issued by Modelcraft Ltd.  Unfortunately, neither are in my collection.

Set C1 - Weapons of War.  Issued around 1942 for 1/4d.  Six cards and six models: Matilda Tank, 3.7 inch AA Gun, AA Search Light, Catapault Launching Gear, 14 inch Gun Turret and Naval Torpedo.

Set D1 - Tanks, British, USA and Russian.  Issued probably around 1942/3 at a cost of 1/4d.  Six cards made up into seven models.  For your money you got the following tanks: Churchill, Crusader, General Grant, American Heavy, Russian Medium, a Bren Gun Carrier and a BSA Scout Car.

That concludes the Miscellaneous models.  Next we move to the final and largest group of Micromodels, the Architectural models.

To be continued…

Terry

Posted
Rating:
The Micromodels story… 

Now we come to the Architectural models and my personal favourites.  My introduction to Micromodels came about around 1959/1960 when my elder brother purchased and built ARC 2 - Dr. Johnson's House.  So, to the models…

ARC 1 - Anne Hathaway's Cottage.  If you don't know who this lady is, shame on you.  As every schoolboy knows, Anne Hathaway became William Shakespeare's wife to whom he left his 'second best bed' in his will.  The model represents Anne's cottage which is still standing in Stratford-upon-Avon.  First published in 1948 at a cost of 1/8d.  Reprinted in 1953 at 2/6d. and subsequently reprinted by Autocraft Ltd.

ARC 2 - Doctor Johnson's House.  First published in 1949 at a price of 1/8d.  Doctor Samuel Johnson, the writer and wit, lived at 17 Gough Square, London, where he compiled his 'Dictionary of the English Language'.  The six cards in this kit make up into an attractive model of the 300 year-old house.

And here's one I made earlier…

ARC 3 - Cripplegate.  One of six of the old London Gates produced in the Micromodels range.  Others were planned but, unfortunately, were never issued.  These gates were based on models built by the Artist and Historian John B. Thorp which were displayed in the Museum of London in the late 1940's.  One of the old London Gates models would be an ideal starter kit for anyone wishing to have a crack at producing a Micromodel.  However, construct the model from a scan, not one of the original kits as they are now quite collectable.  More on obtaining the kits later in this thread.  This model was first printed in 1949 at a cost of 1/8d.  Here is a 1955 reprint…

ARC 4 - Moorgate.  First published in 1950 for 1/8d.  Reprinted in 1955 for 3/0d.  The six cards make up into another attractive model.

Makes up into this…

To be continued …
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Excellent Terry it's like reading a 'Ladybird' book eloquent and informative!

Ian
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Loving it Terry - and you've made a pretty decent job of constructing them too. :thumbs:thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Ian and Peter. Just out of interest, I printed off Aldgate last night with a view to making it up.  I feel that with the experience gained recently making Scalescenes card kits, I might make a better job of the Micromodels now.

Terry

Posted
Rating:
The Micromodels story… 

ARC 5 - Aldgate.  In 1950, you could have bought this attractive model for 1/8d.  It was reprinted in 1955 at the higher cost of 3/0d.  The six cards made up into another nice model representing one of the old London gates.  Here is the 1955 reprint…
Here are a couple of views of the finished model.  Can you spot the differences between the wrapper illustration and the finished model?

ARC 6- This would have been a model of Bridgegate, situated on old London Bridge.  Unfortunately Geoffrey Heighway died before the model could come to fruition, thus it was never issued.  However, another manufacturer in the USA has taken up the challenge and this model, along with many other new 'Micromodels' can be found here:
                                             http://www.micromodelsusa.com/#MicromodelsUSA

ARC 7 - Newgate.  Another attractive model containing six cards.  First released in 1951 for 2/0d.  Reprinted in 1955 for 3/0d.
Here is the completed model…

ARC 8 Ludgate - This model was never issued.  However, a new version has been released by Micromodels USA (see link above).  The current owners of the printing plates, Autocraft Ltd. have also produced their version of Ludgate which can be purchased on ebay.
ARC 9 - Bishop's Gate - Situated in Bishopsgate, very close to the present-day Liverpool Street Station.  It's former location is marked by a Bishop's mitre representation affixed to the buildings either side of the road.  First issued in 1952 at a cost of 2/6d.  Re-issued in 1955 at 3/0d.  The six cards in the attractive wrapper made up into another fine model.
ARC 10 Alder's Gate.  Printed in 1955 at a cost of 3/0d.  Never reprinted.  Another fine model can be made from the six cards.
To be continued…
Terry

Posted
Rating:
The Micromodels story…
Onwards with the Architectural models.

ARC 12 - The Tower of London.  A superb model of this, the most famous of all castles.  First issued in 1950 for 3/4d.  Never re-issued although it is quite common.  There are twelve cards in this set.
ARC 13 - Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, Southwark.  Published in 1950 for 2/0d . Later re-printed in 1952 for 2/6d. and again in 1955 for 3/0d.  A scarce model containing six cards which make up into a delightful model of the most famous theatre of all time.  The original theatre lies buried beneath a listed Edwardian  building, so we may never get to see it being excavated.  However, there is a display at the site appertaining to the Globe Theatre and the modern nearby replica is well worth a look when you next visit London.
Here it is in all its glory…
ARC 14 - Old London Bridge.  Based on the bridge during the reign of Elizabeth I, this set has a very attractive wrapper which contains twelve cards.  First and only print was in 1951 when it sold for 3/4d. 
More soon…
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
The spin off from these models is the history they teach, incredible Terry thanks.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.