Bronze version

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Max appreciate your answer and now its back to laying track.

Digitrax DCS51, PR3, DS64, BDL168, BD4.
RR&Co Bronze
Sprog 3 for Programming my Loco Decoders.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=1767]Geoff I[/user] wrote:
As promised John my Block Layout.

Thanks Geoff……thats a handy point of reference

Nice looking plan with lots of operating potential

I see you have 24 blocks………….and  24 Occupancy detectors :thumbs

I am not sure what period you are operating but I guess the two Diesel Shed Blocks are a clue?

My first reaction when I saw the plan was to ask about the possibility of additional blocks between the Chelthorpe station blocks and the East and West running lines…….you may not want to do that immediately but adding a few extra droppers now will make it much easier to insert additional blocks once you have started operating

The theoretical rule of thumb for layout design is that blocks should be at least as long as the longest train that will occupy them…….the reality is that is not always possible  but it is worth bearing in mind that if a train stops in a block and overhangs the preceding block its not a disaster but can be a pain so its best avoided if you can.

Its also a good idea to bear in mind that trains move under the control of schedules…..a schedule must start in one block and finish in another…..with certain exceptions a train cannot move within a block

Thus any scheduled movements in Chelthorpe 1 2 and 3 must involve one of the East/West running lines……hence my suggestion for additional "inner home" blocks…….not to accommodate full trains but to allow for loco/tail traffic movement

Hope I havent confused you………but I am sure you dont need to ask how I learned to ask these questions:roll:

Regards  

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
I am not going for any period I am leaving that open, I enjoy all era Locomotives, in my stock I have J39 with an A4 Pacific, class 101 to class 66, I am looking at EMU's plus I might get one of them brighton pullmans, the sky is the limit what to run, I was initially going to base m layout on LNER when it was NE but scuppered that plan and thought about buying a castle, I just have a genral appeal for our railway history,

I can see what you mean by splitting the main station in the middle but I think that would only work on platform 2 and 3, as to the lengths of the trains I am not sure as yet, I am still collecting stock.

Schedules seems a little confusing at the moment, I know I think if I have a train in fiidle East 1 and I want it to go to platform 3 then I think that is straight forward enough, for another train to come from the fiddle and goto platform 4 then for the trains to return to the fiddle yard, I hope that is the case, I also will have a class 101 going on the branch line which also comes into platform 4, as long as I tell train controller which blocks each Loco is allowed in I hope I am fine.

Last edit: by Geoff I

RR&Co Bronze

Posted
Rating:
Oh no what have I done, I have downloaded the Gold Version and started to set up parameters and I am blown away, is this RR&Co software addictive or what, I was having some niggly problems with conflicts and since the conflicts are fixed with Bronze I wanted it to do so much more, so I thought lets look at the Gold version and its a Wow, and then I downloaded the Silver to see if that could help me but the Gold seems to do stuff that I could get into, Trainsets well now we are talking along with the Flagmen now I am wondering whether I can fit more points in and the hobby has changed dramatically.
I have to say to myself I must get on with the scenery lol not a chance now I have seen and set up parameters in the Gold version, scenery is on hold until we have it programmed. ;-)
Oh and that little job of buying the Gold upgrade I must dust down my wallet haha.

RR&Co Bronze

Posted
Rating:
RFS
I started out with TC 5.8 which was later upgraded to the equivalent version 7 Silver.  But recent improvements in Gold forced my hand and Gold v8 is now what I run.  Many little improvements have made the difference!

On your plan you have a branch to Chillinbrough (I think that's how it's spelt but I can't see clearly).  This is much the same as a branch I have.  Given it's single-track you need to cater for possible deadlocks when running schedules using the branch. For example, a train has come up the branch and is waiting in Station Approach to enter platform 4, but the platform is occupied by a train waiting to go down the branch.

Not sure if you can do this in Bronze, but the solution is to mark the blocks Station Approach and Bridge "critical". This means a train will not be scheduled to enter these blocks unless the next block after them is free.

You might also consider making these two blocks a single block. My equivalent of your Station Approach is a long block, but Gold offers the option to release the preceding block once the train has completely entered the next block. So my platform 4 is released for other trains as soon as the branch train is clear of the points, rather than waiting till it reaches the stop marker.

Last edit: by RFS

Robert

Posted
Rating:
[user=1238]RFS[/user] wrote:
I started out with TC 5.8 which was later upgraded to the equivalent version 7 Silver.  But recent improvements in Gold forced my hand and Gold v8 is now what I run.  Many little improvements have made the difference!

On your plan you have a branch to Chillinbrough (I think that's how it's spelt but I can't see clearly).  This is much the same as a branch I have.  Given it's single-track you need to cater for possible deadlocks when running schedules using the branch. For example, a train has come up the branch and is waiting in Station Approach to enter platform 4, but the platform is occupied by a train waiting to go down the branch.

Not sure if you can do this in Bronze, but the solution is to mark the blocks Station Approach and Bridge "critical". This means a train will not be scheduled to enter these blocks unless the next block after them is free.

You might also consider making these two blocks a single block. My equivalent of your Station Approach is a long block, but Gold offers the option to release the preceding block once the train has completely entered the next block. So my platform 4 is released for other trains as soon as the branch train is clear of the points, rather than waiting till it reaches the stop marker.

Thanks for the information and input into my Branch Line, I think with the Branch line I am thinking a little more into it so there could be a couple of changes, but the Branch will still be there but may end up with a coaling yard on route to Chillinbrough, I am just trying to justify another BDL168 rather than use any more BD4's.
I will remember the Critical input no doubt I will have to change things in the software to get it all working correctly.

RR&Co Bronze

Posted
Rating:
Hi Geoff

Congratulations! I know you havent made the purchase yet but I am sure you will have a lot of fun in demo mode and learn a great deal at the same time. Have you tried the simulator yet?

A couple of things regarding the number of occupancy detectors you require.

[1] If you havent done so already you should read up the section on Loco profiling. You need three separately detected blocks in a straight line without any intervening turnouts. The two end blocks should be at least 12" long but the centre block should be at least 48"….longer if possible.

You may have blocks that fit this requirement on the layout…….I had a quick look but couldnt see them as it is now. I originally had my profiling track on the layout  but found it far more convenient to have a dedicated board I laid 8' of track on a board 8'x 3" which I mounted below the layout………to save on detectors I rigged some switches to share the detectors with three nearby layout blocks. It works but on balance I think it was a false economy…..I forget to throw the switches after a profiling session and then spend forever checking for a wiring fault on the main layout:oops: 

[2] You can however save detectors on stub sidings by using flagmen as indicators……your brewery sidings could be one example or any new sidings planned for the branch………dont want to confuse you with detail now but happy to explain the concept if you wish…….its certainly worth keeping in mind when working out your requirements

Regards

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Thanks for the input John, wow you are right about me not having the length needed for profiling, but I could set one up I have plenty of peco track to cover it, more reading needed I need to get my head into the manual, I did print the Bronze manual off, I found it easier to read than on my ipad, I will do the same with the Gold.

I will be getting Gold but will have to wait until May, but that will give me plenty of time to get to grip with the software.

Cheers and yes anything I cannot get my head round I will ask away.

RR&Co Bronze
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.