Quizpix

Posted
Rating:
#183449 (In Topic #10333)

What, where or when

Fun quiz, guess locations, events, dates etc.

For starters, where is this, what event and year might it be?

Clues may follow in a day or so (if needed)

Next, Location and which service/route  is the train on

Loco ID might be difficult with the number poorly defined, but a guess at the class should be possible. The class of loco on shed might also be deduced with a bit of thought due to the location.

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I'll definitely need a clue Mike.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
I'm gonna go with somewhere in the souf.  Looks like the early 50s from the early crests.  Lots of SR locos and NO diesels.  From the qty of locos, Sunday?

The lower picture loco could be a T9.  Couldn't begin to guess the route.  The green coaches scream south though.  I can see a loco of the true faith in the shed.

John

Hmmmm :hmm what event took place in the early 50s - it wouldn't be 2 June 1953 would it?

Last edit: by Brossard

John

Posted
Rating:
Southern is correct for both pix, 1950s yes for the first pic, not sure of year for the second, but not the Coronation year, loco in the second is not a T9, but from the same designer.

Looking at all those locos in the first pic, it looks like there are only 2 BR standards, one in front of the Spam Can in the nearest row and the other only the tender visible almost out of picture at the right; quite a challenge to identify some of the classes, the spam can could be a west country, Battle of Britain or Merchant Navy, the tanks could be M7, O2 or T1, I can't see any push pull fitted though. Nine 4-6-0s one of which is a Nelson, others a mixture of Urie and Maunsell classes H15, N15 and/or S15.

Clues tomorrow Alan if not guessed by then.

Cheers MIKE

Posted
Rating:
Lower one is definitely a T9 and with discs set for one of what could be a number of routes.

There's an upper quadrant signal in the left background in the "off" position suggesting there is another line running right - left across that part of the scene. Possibly a triangle then.

I'm going with this being the Branksome corner of the Bournemouth West triangle and the train is a Dorchester - Bournemouth West working as confirmed by the discs.

The top one …..

…… the loco classes are associated with the south-western routes of the SR though none is in steam at all.  They are coaled but that coal looks pretty indifferent.  Some of the older types are particularly well presented which might suggest they have a more important role to play.

I'm leaning towards the shed being Eastleigh and the event being locos in a ready state to cope with arriving ocean liner traffic at Southampton bound for the Festival of Britain in 1951.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Rick pic 1 yes the location is Eastleigh, date is a few years later and (CLUE) the pic could have been taken on any day of the weeks during the "event"

Pic 2 location and train route both correct however loco is most certainly not a T9, boiler is too large diameter with shorter chimney, and if you strain your eyes a bit the number looks like 304??, T9s would be 301xx, 302xx, 303xx or 307xx . Date for this between 1949 and '51,  The black 5 on shed has British Railways on the tender, making it early BR days, my guess for the Drummond 4-4-0 is  S11 30403 as it was shedded at Bournemouth during this period, was numbered into BR series in June 1949 and was withdrawn September 1951.

Compare the pics below (linked from SEMG     http://www.semgonline.com/photoind.html#steam   )

S11 class

T9 class

Cheers MIKE

Posted
Rating:
And the Black 5 would have arrived from Bath Green Park via the S&D almost certainly

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
With my screen name if I didn't know that the main picture was Eastleigh shed I would need shooting! The works are clearly visible in the background and in between are the railway houses in Campbell Road.
My guess is that the loco in picture 2 is not a T9. A side on view may very well reveal inside Walsharts valve gear as I believe the loco to be Drummond's swan song; a D15.
In their final days in the early 1950's they wear often used on the Saturdays only Waterloo to Lymington service and also on cross country services on the line between Eastleigh and Fareham.

MarkL71A,
Chandlers Ford

Posted
Rating:
RFS
For the second picture I agree with Dorsetmike - the engine is S11 30403 that was shedded at Bournemouth. The disc headcode is relevant - it covers Bournemouth West to Dorchester. I believe the shed is Branksome and the train is running down to Bournemouth West station.  The class 5 would indeed have come in off the S&D.

This looks to be the track plan - http://www.sdjr.net/locations/branksome.html - and the photograph was taken from the Bournemouth West junction signal box.

Last edit: by RFS

Robert

Posted
Rating:
Mark, sorry, definitely not a D15, cab front windows (of the S11) are circular, the D15 are not, compare this pic with those in post #6 above. The D15s appear to have all been shedded at Eastleigh post WW2, (463 was converted to oil firing but remained "in store" until withdrawn in 1951). They could have been seen at Bournemouth on Eastleigh>Bournemouth W. services but those would have used the other branch of the triangle from Bournemouth C. (Photo also linked from SEMG)

D15

Cheers MIKE

Posted
Rating:
Mike,

I am hanging my head in shame, I should have spotted the cab windows! That will teach me to reply before consulting my books.
My dog has spent the afternoon shaking her head and tutting! Most annoying……
Not all is lost; it did prompt you to post a picture of a D15. Handsome engines they were too.

MarkL71A,
Chandlers Ford

Posted
Rating:
Mark, maybe I should add 71B to my ID! I can assemble at least one of most of the classes in N gauge of those in the Eastleigh pic with the exception of the spam cans and BR standards, plus  have a couple of classes not represented, A12, 0395 and K10 and others in the erecting shop, G6, Z and a D15, all in 1930s Maunsell livery.

Cheers MIKE

Posted
Rating:
Could it be that the locos in the Eastleigh picture have been displaced from the SE Section because of electrification?

Terry

Posted
Rating:
In a word terry No! Many of the ex LSWR 4-6-0 classes would have been out of gauge. A clue might help, the year was 1955, what might have kept all those locos unmoving for 2 weeks.

Cheers MIKE

Posted
Rating:
Ah, you must mean the rail strike which started on 29th March and lasted until the 14th June.  A State of Emergency was declared on 31st May. Or, had everybody deserted their engines and gone to watch Stirling Moss win the British Grand Prix on 17th July?

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Correct Terry the 1955 rail strike.

For the next pic, what is the reason for triple chimneys on this King Arthur

And how about the purpose of this contraption?

Cheers MIKE

Posted
Rating:
In the second picture, is it a kind of coal-chute?

Terry

Posted
Rating:
RFS
The triple chimney on the King Arthur loco was an attempt during the last war to better disperse the exhaust, in the belief it would make the loco less visible to marauding German warplanes.

Last edit: by RFS

Robert

Posted
Rating:
Correct Robert, although from all accounts it was not much of a success, except for dislodging soot from the sides of tunnel roofs.

Terry a chute yes but not coal, they don't dig up coal around Poole harbour.

Cheers MIKE

Posted
Rating:
Anybody else got pics to puzzle over?

Cheers MIKE
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.