Maiden voyage

Posted
Rating:

First tentative steps into weathering and overhauling

Didn't Floquil shut up shop last year?  I know there was a panic to get their paints down here and they've not been seen since.

Rick
Layouts here and here
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Yes, you are correct Rick. Hence them being so hard to get now. If only I could get my hands on a few jars of 'Railroad Tie Brown', 'Grimey Black', 'Weathered Black', that would be a treat ! ;-)

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Gary,

Interesting link especially with regards to acrylics. I think my issue was possibly a mixture of things. The use of acrylics may be one of them. The paint mixture being to thin (  I think ) being another. Also what I am picking up about the surface of the factory finish of the wagon maybe playing a part  in being angle to provide a suitable key.

Spraying the whole wagon with a matt undercoat is one  possible solution if you don't mind losing the private owner identification otherwise maybe the dull cote.

I am assuming that dull cote is just a matt varnish. Admittedly, when I watched the DVD's that I have on weathering, it was usually enamels that they used.
The paint sprayed on yesterday is still on so I will be attempting to spray over it today. Maybe I will try mixing the enamels. Matt leather and Matt black seems to be the mix referred to for  frame dirt.

Once I've covered that, I'll increase the black in the mix for the side of the wagon to add a snootier grime. Leave to dry, then possible add a fiat of dullcote to take any powders that I try. Possibly a little rust and crud on the axle boxes etc.

If all fails, it could probably be stripped back to the start again.

Sounds like a plan. Who would be a painter eh.:mutley

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Dullcote is fine to use as a binder/undercoat for the acryllics to stick to, actually, any matt acryllic spray would be suitable. I have used a Matt Finishing Sealer on the bodies of some wagons as a base coat, then applied powders. This I guess you could do the same for applying acryllics over the factory finish. Once you are happy with either the acryllics or enamels, the powders should stick to them ok. An application of dullcote would be needed to seal in the powders. Don't forget that dullcote or matt sealer will darken the applied powders.

Alternately, you can apply a matt undercoat, or enamels (colour) than apply the powders. Use one powder at a time, followed by an application of Isoprpyl alcohol (IPA) via the airbrush. This takes less than a minute to dry. Dust up with the next colour, followed by IPA. Then the next colour, so on and so on until you have built up layers of colour.

You can also mix powders like you do with paint. Powders can also be applied whilst the paint is still wet, but don't be too heavy handed as you may add brush strokes to the paint finish, and that's something you don't really want.

Happy weathering ! ;-)

Cheers, Gary.

Last edit: by Gary

Posted
Rating:
Agree about Railmatch and Phoenix - great paint but unobtainable, even to retailers here.

I really like PollyS acrylics (Floquil?) but these have been discontinued by Testors - waiting for a replacement.  Floquil paints themselves have been gone for quite a while - I think there was concern about the toxic carrier.

My other fave is Tamiya - they do "Earth".

I haven't tried Humbrol acrylics but heard they had quality issues in China and moved production back to UK. 

My big concern is Crimson Lake - I'm running out.

John

Last edit: by Brossard

John

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
We are sort of lucky I suppose, we get rail match and precision as well as Humbrol without to many problems. Now if the postie would carry them in his bag I could solve a few issues.

Small tinlets that have virtually nothing in them. Never used to be an issue.

Picked up some droppers from Boots the chemist today. Hopefully this will aid in a more accurate dispensing of thinners etc for mixing up my paint.

We'll see.

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Its a problem getting UK paints since RM gave up carrying them.
I guess we will have to mix our own railway colours.God knows what liverys will result.
Derek.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Derek,

Get a list written up of what you want, I'll do the shopping and meet you for a beer in the Emerald Isle. Wait until Santa's been and gone let me build my war chest up a bit.:mutley and the brownie points with SWMBO

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
:):):):) Thats very kind of you my friend.

You are welcome anytime .

cheers,

Derek.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi,

Apologies for not returning with some more efforts today. One or two events took over which reshuffled my plans a bit.

However one good thing, although I return to work tomorrow, I am still working out of our Perth office and will be home at nights. I am sure that even by the time I get home and refill the fuel tanks a bit, an hour or so in the shed would give me enough time to progress my current project.

I'll look to be back on tomorrow. Meanwhile, I'll be watching the more experienced amongst us. There have been some great threads on weathering lately producing some excellent and very inspiring work. Thanks to all of you.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thats good news for Rosebuddy Toto.Working and commuting daily will give you a chance to progress.
All these new gadgets are a big learning curve.Model Railways have sure expanded in new skills from the old HD trainset days.NASA controls etc.
Best of luck with work and health.
Derek.

Posted
Rating:
A cheap way to measure out your paint to thinners is to use drinking straws, dip one into you thinners to a marked level on the straw, then put your thumb over the open end, then transfer to your paint cup by releasing your thumb then repeat with your paint.

You can chop um up into smaller lengths and just chuck um once used.

Cheers

Andy

Posted
Rating:
Sorry with so late a reply, SHMBO decided to share her cold with me - 2 days later and I'm out of bed.

You may need to flatten the wagon first abit, using a glass fibre brush, as to tone down the wagon colour and lettering, unfortunately you have picked a wagon with a fairly bold colour scheme. You will need a lot of paint to bring it down.

Timing couldn't have been better, this months Model Rail has a suppliment Workbench Manuel 13 - Ultimate guide to airbrushing, covering paint thinning and basic techniques, with practice excercises using paper.

Paul

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Paul,

Hope your feeling better after your cold.

I bought the model rail magazine as usual but never got no airbrushing supplement.:hmm or are we talking about Decembers issue released later this month.

I'll keep an eye open.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Banned
You would be looking for the November edition of Model Rail, No.202. On the front cover (lower left corner) there is a heading " Become a Master painter".

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Toto

As Gary said, free with Model Rail November 2014.

Paul

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi chaps,

I have the November issue, but don't ask me what happened to the supplement ?

I was intending to pop on earlier tonight but unfortunately when I got home, I got home to a hell of a mess.

SWMBO had went to an organised firework display in town with my daughter and grand daughter etc which meant leaving the dogs in alone for about an hour or so. By the time I got in they had wrecked a table fully of photo's and ornaments ( which I don't care about ) but there was broken glass and blood all over the carpet. I was trying to clear up and keep the dogs cool at the same time. Oh boy.

Anyway, SWMBO is home and we are busy checking the dogs over for cuts ……. The blood must have came from somewhere but we can't find the damage.  What a nightmare. However, we should never have left them, not even for an hour.

They are ok but I feel upset and very guilty indeed. I would be the first to criticise anyone else for leaving their animals even for ten minutes never mind an hour on 5th November. Absolute twat.

Sorry for the rant.

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Our cat went bananas ,but settled down when the bangs stopped.

reg

Posted
Rating:
Remember remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
I know of no reason when you mark this good season
That pets at home should be forgot.

:???:

I trust all's well that ends well.  

No 5th November fireworks here - it wasn't the Australian parliament Mr. Fawkes tried to do away with ;-)  Though we do seem to get them at every other excuse.  New Year, Australia Day, weddings and sundry religious festivals throughout the year, Melbourne Cup then Christmas.  

The cat comes in and hides if there's sudden loud noises.  The chickens seem to cope but it's hard to tell how nervous they might be tucked up in their coop at night.

Now where did I put down my weathering brush? :roll:

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
We are lucky with our gang of four dogs the fireworks don't bother any of them, in fact the two Staffies will sit out in the garden and watch them.

Our old Spaniel who died last year was a different story and we used to try to plan a trip away in the motorhome to a campsite in the middle of nowhere to get away from them.

Cheers

Andy
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.