Penhayle Bay

Posted
Rating:

A popular layout back on YMRC

There is a lot happening here at the moment and not just with Penhayle Bay.  One development will however be visible and that is my photos are now mostly watermarked.  Exceptions will be those hosted directly on this site.

This has become necessary in order to protect my work and assert copyright in an age when we have no control over who sees our posted images nor what they do with them.

I have disabled "right-click save" meaning it should not be possible for anyone to download my images simply by clicking on them - instead they will receive a short message inviting them to purchase them.

Therein lies the reason behind watermarking and securing my material.  I am developing an online retail library hoping to earn a little pocket money from my hobby.  Not so much the modelling images but those of a scenic and possibly historical interest will soon be available via SmugMug for anyone who chooses to buy.  They can be purchased as paper or card prints, with or without mount, as larger sizes and even mounted wall-hangings.  Not to mention mugs, coasters and other ephemera.

I don't expect to get rich this way.  But after the gentle persuasion of a good many friends and family over years I felt the time and the deal is now right to start out.  

The journey of a thousand miles starts with one step, apparently.  Or one click of the shutter.

I trust the watermarking of my photos here does not detract from the enjoyment nor of the work and techniques shown.

Last edit: by Gwiwer

Rick
Layouts here and here
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Some new added detail.

The shed lighting is in at Ponsangwyn though not yet wired up. The point levers here are new as well.

Well-rusted upper surface to the lamp head done with weathering powder onto wet paint; the posts themselves are painted in distressed matt black dusted down while tacky with dark brown powder.

There's another outside the shed - I'm looking forward to night shots under this light when it's wired in! There is also a third one outside the goods shed.

Finally the roads have been named

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
I don't often get a chance to make use of the early morning light but today I was out and about early enough to grab a quick shot of two train passing at Church Lane bridge …..

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Nice….
The ballast and growth in between the tracks look spot on.

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Marty.

Any chance of you guys getting over with a little time off from the business?  It's been a while …….

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
No concrete plans at the moment mate. My sister is coming West this Christmas.
If, and it's a big IF, my brother buys the little 19ft trailer sailer he's drooling over, there might be a detour as I fly South to help him settle it in. :lol:
Will keep a visit to Treheligan in mind.

Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
And now I have the "Picture of the Week" on the home page after barely walking back in the door.

I'm humbly honoured.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Rick,

Congratulations on picture of the week. Couldn't ask for better. Two class 22's suitably weathered. I could look at these all day as they are one of my favourite loco's.

Some more suitably posed 22's would not go amiss.

Cheers for now

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
You're more than welcome Rick.Penhayle is a worthy subject to use.I would also like to use some photos for the puzzle if that's ok?.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
In a flurry of activity I have got the new Treheligan platform building to a state of readiness and placed it in position.  It is far from complete (requiring among other things glazing, fitting and painting of valances and rainwater goods plus installation of internal lighting and a rub down and top coat of paint to the roof) but was readied in anticipation of a visit today.

Frustratingly that never happened thanks to a misunderstanding on the part of my intended guests.  

But it gives the opportunity to show some of the new work here and that this is much larger building compared with what was there before.

This structure is a kit-bash from a Ratio pack.  Timetable and information posters neatly hide most of the Milliputting which was necessary to fill the  gaps.

All the new platform lamps are fitted loosely and tested to prove they work.  They require final wiring then will be glued in upright positions.  These replace pairs of single-head lamps which never looked quite right to my mind.

Finally the footbridge which has always had blue metalwork before has also joined the new colour scheme.  The open-lattice ironmongery which was previously a solid colour has been represented by using the light brown matt colour also used on the building stonework then almost a dry-brush over with the gloss.  

The GWR insignia has been picked out once again in gold pen.  This wasn't easy the first time and didn't get any better with practice as the raised moulding is indistinct and the gold pen, which has a chunky tip, isn't designed for calligraphy!

Other areas will be painted to match.  One of the two existing shelter units already has brown instead of blue supports and the other will follow.  One will then become two separate short shelters one on each platform.

If I can locate suitable kits I may even rebuild these entirely as they have suffered many bumps and bruises over the years and have been stuck back together many times - each time looking less good than the last.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
A very smart and handsome bridge my 'ansome ;-)

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
The Beattie well tanks haven't featured for a while.  Here the crew must be sincerely hoping they can keep them instead of the "oil-can" on the other shed road.  30587 is prepped for service

No sign of 30585 this morning - perhaps she's away up the line somewhere.

And as usual 30586 is out of traffic or possibly restricted to yard duties as was the case at Wadebridge for many years.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Ken
Inactive Member
That first picture is really something else (a jazz musicians phrase for fantastic!).   You've certainly got the gift Rick.

Ken

'It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Swing'

Posted
Rating:
A couple of hours work has seen both platforms at Treheligan finally gain planters.  This has been one of those small projects I have always intended to do for some years but until now never got around to.

Those with a sharp eye for detail might also notice the new shunt disc on the bracket signal here.  Another will be fitted beneath the main arm when supplies arrive.  These will allow loco movements and DMU shunts between main and bay platforms to be fully signalled without needing to clear the branch starter and issue the token.

A little work around the buffer-stop end of the bay platform has included fencing the track off from the surrounding land and the arrival of "Steptoe" as the local scrap merchant.  The wheels were donated by a Heljan "Western" which has gained Howes replacements for its original brassy ones.

The old milk tank is a Dapol standard item with couplers removed.  Still some signage work to attend to on the platforms!

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
As always, some very nice work there Rick.

Sorry we weren't able to stop off on the way back from Llanbourne but one of our number was on a little bit of a deadline.

Great to catch up with you again, though. :)

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Rick,

Some fantastic shots there. Shows off your layout and rolling stock perfectly. A joy to view.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Those platforms have come up beautifully Rick.
cheers
Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.

Posted
Rating:
Thank you gents.

The new platform lights are working after an hour or so wiring up.  They're not yet fixed so the jaunty angles are not their final positions!

The new lights came up very bright when first switched on but I have wired them back through the "Function" control on the Gaugemaster unit used to power them.  This is in effect a variable resistance and for the lighting acts as a dimmer.  In some of the photos the lights still appear quite bright but to the naked eye they were turned down quite low to resemble the glow of old-style incandescent bulbs.

Compare this with earlier views at the same spot with two single-lamp posts back to back; I think the new ones look far better.

Also wired in now and fully working are the three shed lights at Ponsangwyn.  These were also far to bright at first and have also been wired through the dimmer though are switched separately from the station lighting.

I have been looking forward to some atmospheric shots once these lights were in and early results are encouraging.

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Lovely night scenes Rick,Your new lights work a treat.
Derek.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Rick,

very atmospheric ……. mission accomplished. some really fantastic night scenes.

excellent

toto
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.