Scalescene Large Station Building for Granby

Posted
Rating:
Great work John.
Good to see you back after the holiday break.

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I've just caught up with this thread having returned from a family "birthday bash" in Scotland - lots of reading to do elsewhere too ………..:roll::roll:

Like Bob (Novice) John, I hadn't noticed the little white square and went back to look for it. ;-)

You have, as we've come to expect, done a wonderful job on this building.  I'm a big Scalescenes fan but am aware that, like Rome, they can't be built in a day !!  If it's anything like the warehouse and large roof, one wonders if you'll ever get all the bits cut out but it has resulted in a very impressive building.

I'm looking forward to your "kit bashing" for the rest of it - as you may remember, I have a similar project in mind for Maxmill.

Speaking of being "picky" - it clearly pays off.  These kits can, and do, produce some very varied results (don't ask how I know), so those who are "picky", are right up at the top of the tree - yourself and Doug immediately spring to mind with regard to Scalescenes.

I hadn't appreciated the problems encountered with the slight difference in paper size although I have hit problems with differing card thickness myself.  If the white square is the only result, then I wouldn't worry unduly - it's hardly noticed until you bring it to our attention.

Yet another development on Granby for me to drool over. 

Having called in at Doug's on my way home on Wednesday and now finding this on my return, I've just about had my fill of feeling inadequate so please post something "normal" next time…………:lol::lol::lol:

Hope all's well in Canada. :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Great work on the building John, I have only used Scalescenes papers so far but I was impressed with the finish of them. Onee of the great benefits I found was not worrying about wasting any or having enough because if I was unhappy with what I had done I just printed some more from the file.

As for being self critical I have no problem with that as I do it myself and often find myself re-doing something that was OK yesterday but is complete rubbish today. It becomes a bit annoying when it stays as rubbish though.:lol:

All the best

Jim

Posted
Rating:
Thanks guys…….sorry for the belated replies……its Canadian Thanksgiving (different date to the USA naturally) and we have our extended family for lunch (Turkey etc etc) so its all a bit frenetic

[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
You have, as we've come to expect, done a wonderful job on this building.  I'm a big Scalescenes fan but am aware that, like Rome, they can't be built in a day !!  If it's anything like the warehouse and large roof, one wonders if you'll ever get all the bits cut out but it has resulted in a very impressive building.

I'm looking forward to your "kit bashing" for the rest of it - as you may remember, I have a similar project in mind for Maxmill.

Thanks Peter I am so glad you like it……you are so right about the multiplicity of cutting……if you dont pace yourself you can be in danger of repetitive stress something or other.

In many ways its a perfect holiday job (although not if you are flying!!)……I print a load of sheets out, stick them on card where required and roughly cut them to size so they are not too bulky. Pack Scalpel, Knife, Lots of Blades, Ruler and Uhu…. almost forgot the all important cutting mat! Then I spend no more than 45 minutes a day cutting away…….One glass of wine permitted. There are some short cuts you can take (which I will try and mention when I do the extension) and you can get away with some less than accurate cutting…..but only in certain areas…..in others it can be really bad news…..and it isnt always flagged

I hadn't appreciated the problems encountered with the slight difference in paper size although I have hit problems with differing card thickness myself.  If the white square is the only result, then I wouldn't worry unduly - it's hardly noticed until you bring it to our attention.  
It doesnt happen very often ……one of the disadvantages of living in North America……like really indifferent Rugby coverage on TV

You are absolutely right about the card thickness……sometimes you can get away with variations but as a general rule when John Wiffen says 2mm thick ….he means it…..and you find out why when it comes to assembly time! 

aberdare wrote:
Great  work on the building John, I have only used Scalescenes papers so far  but I was impressed with the finish of them. Onee of the great benefits I  found was not worrying about wasting any or having enough because if I  was unhappy with what I had done I just printed some more from the file.

As for being self critical I have no problem with that as I do it myself  and often find myself re-doing something that was OK yesterday but is  complete rubbish today. It becomes a bit annoying when it stays as  rubbish though.:lol:

All the best

Jim
Thanks Jim …….its very good of you to be so complimentary.

I have a lot of kits on file and, over time, I have built up quite a library of the building papers…..its amazing how you can mix and match between the kits and building papers to create something purpose built for the layout and as you say if you screw up you just re print……although I do hate doing that

:cheers   Happy Thanksgiving

Last edit: by John Dew

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
[user=540]gdaysydney[/user] wrote:
Great work John.
Good to see you back after the holiday break.
Bizarre it would only let me do two quotes and kept nuking my reply to you Dave.

Whatever…..my apologies for the late reply…….Its good to hear from you Dave….I am glad you like the building………how is Not Mutley coming along?

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.