Scalescene Large Station Building for Granby

Posted
Rating:
#181972 (In Topic #10281)
This model is one of John Wiffen's more complex designs. Lots of added three dimensional detail including a tower with a porte cochere topped by a curved cupola, separately fitted cornices,plinths, window sills etc. There are no less than 36 pages of components!

The kit comes with a smallish overall roof (two?) track span and a narrow ancillary building that can be used either on a platform or attached to the main building

I have just finished assembling the main building from the sheets I cut out during the summer ……. which I stupidly forgot to photograph  …..

This is the completed model on a temporary base

Some rather cruel close ups showing both the detail and some less than perfect workmanship

The white bit top right demonstrates one of the problems we have in North America with Scalescene….they are designed for A4….
our equivalent is 8.5" x 11" which is a tad smaller so occasionally a little bit (like this one!) doesnt get printed……I will paint it out with water colour.

I used Brassmasters windows but I am not all sure it was worth the cost/effort …..apart from anything else it made it very difficult to bond the inner and outer walls properly

The signage is from Tracksidesign ….no connection…..but a great product….I used to use Tiny Signs but I think these are much better and they can print your station name for you.

Despite the defects (from some angles the tower is competing with the one at Pisa!) I am quite pleased with the overall result. Its an impressive building but somehow in the context of the alleged importance of Granby its a little understated. The ancillary building is a bit skinny so my plan is to build two more main buildings but without the tower creating an L shape with the tower building in the centre

The buildings will eventually finish up surrounding the concourse you can see below

Although first I have to cover the lower level storage tracks and build the final span of the large overall roof!

Meantime I will make an effort to record the modelling of the annexe building and post it here

To finish heres a Black and White shot……I just need to add people………and driving rain!

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Nice John.

Can't you purchase A4 paper in North America?

I reckon the Brasssmaster windows are good if the building is within a foot of the viewer & dominates the scene. As this building would!

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Ron

You are pretty quick the ink was barely dry!

I tried a couple of times but its easier just to conform with the old imperial……..its only happened twice…..the other time was with the arches for the roof

I have mixed feelings about Brassmasters….I used them on the Warehouse at Canal St and they looked great…….less certain here……I will probably use printed for the annexe.

Cheers

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Nice job John, following along and looking forward to developments.

Trackside designs bookmarked, I like the way they are printed on adhesive vinyl and laser cut so all that you have to do is peel and stick.

cheersMarty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Marty glad you liked it.

You are right the Tracksidesigns posters are super easy to apply …..so much easier than trying to cut out dead square and then fit……at that size the most minute error shows……must be even worse in N

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Banned
The building looks great. If you hadn't mentioned the small white square, I don't think I would have noticed it. ;-) Very nice job of the kit, well done. :thumbs

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Gary…..glad you liked it.

I agree the white bit is barely noticeable…..which is why I didnt paint it out when assembling the tower:oops:…..but once you know its there it just nags away

Cheers

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
I didn't notice the white square at all until I read these last comments and then went back to look for it!!!

I really like that station John and you have done a great job putting it all together. I printed off the scalescnes platform kit last week and that killed off an ink cartridge in no time at all. How many cartridges did the station use up I wonder?  Besides that though, the effort was very worthwhile as the final result is most impressive.

Bob

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Bob…..I am glad you like it

I know I am too picky…..but at my age its too late to change:lol:

I bought an HP Laser Printer when I first started with Scalescene and it is surprisingly economical…….I am just beginning to run low on two of the colours but that will only be the second time in three years and I have done an awful lot of printing!

I try and be as economical as I can but I still finish up with files of bits and pieces that I didnt need to print

Kind Regards

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi John,

A really good result with the station building. It looks fabulous. I certainly can't see any problems with it. A very impressive kit and build.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
G`day John,

I have not yet tried Scalescenes and did not realize that some of the kits could be so complex. I take my hat off to you for a fine build there.

:cheers  Gormo

"Anyone who claims to have never made a mistake, never made anything!!"

https://sites.google.com/site/greatchesterfordmodelrailway/home

Posted
Rating:
A good build, John, don't knock your self!

I tried Brassmasters once on my GWR engine shed, went with acrylic and papers in the end. They are probably OK if you don't want an inner wall surface or won't be showing interiors.

Poop poop,

Doug

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Hi Toto, Gormo and Doug

Many thanks……I am glad you like it

I know I tend to be self critical:oops: ……I just feel obliged to point out my errors in case people think I have missed them:oops:
:oops:

Gormo:

Scalescenes have a great selection ranging from brick and stone papers to complex kits like the warehouse or station.If you havent done so its worth checking their web site The neat thing is you download them in PDF format…..no waiting for the post…..and you can use them again and again. They are good for scratchbuilding…..the roundhouse is a mix of two different engine shed kits and topped with some totally unrelated building paper!…….no connection ….just a satisfied customer.

Doug:

Your comments are particularly appreciated……you are the guy who weaned me off Wills sheets and I have learned so much from your various "how to" posts

Thanks again guys

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Brilliant job. :thumbs

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Terry.....so glad you like it:cheers

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
a great build John,looking forward to seeing it on the layout,very impressive
:thumbs;-):cool:

my webcam link 6.19.184.67:8080

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Owen………..there is a bit more to do yet…..I am building the annexe as we speak

Cheers

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi John,

I think most people are self critical to a point unless they have an attitude that they just don't care. It's not a bad thing when just starting a new hobby as it helps you to raise your game.
You however ( in my opinion ) are like many others on the forum and are at the top of your game. That is obvious when you look at the many scenes that make up Granby. Your criticisms are very small issues that I will be only too happy to have in the future.
I tried the warehouse facade after seeing yours and made a complete pigs ear of it. It won't however put me off trying again when the time comes around again.

It's a pleasure viewing your projects.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
:oops::oops::oops::oops:

Thats very kind of you Toto but now you have me all embarrassed!

Cheers

John
Granby III

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
Just catching up (router problem)   The station looks great John,  looking forward to seeing the annexe attached
Jolly well done .:doublethumb

reg
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.