Glen Ogle ( narrow gauge ) light railway.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

009 model railway.

Hi Brian,

I've been looking through your thread again as with detailed work like yours, you never pick everything up on the first few passes. I am looking at your use of cork bark for forming rock faces and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction of a good supplier.

It really looks the part and would be good to have some in stock for when it takes my fancy.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Look in pet shops Tom,they use it in aquariums and also for lizard tanks and the like.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thanks Alan,

I'll bet its a fraction of the price that model suppliers charge as well.:mutley

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
It's not cheap.I used it years ago when i was into tropical fish.

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Alan

Like every other hobby / pastime I suppose. It always has a price. I would probably just introduce small pieces to " imply " the presence of rather than go for blanket coverage.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Last edit: by gtmspyder

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Ahhhhhh ....... A man of few words I see. :mutley
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Why do I keep getting and invalid request message when I am trying to insert a message?????

BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Brian,

That's a strange one. Maybe take it up with the mods.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Are you trying to copy and paste into a reply Brian?

If so, what are you copying from?

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hell Toto, sorry I have not been able to get back to you about the use of Cork bark, I have been a little busy working on the layout after all the encouragement I have received on here.
I have just spent a frustrating time trying to post on here one of my supposed Killin Times newspaper articles, setting the scene for my return to modelling on Glen Ogle, but with no success, so I have abandoned it for now while I answer your query re Cork bark.

The Cork bark I used I had had in stock for over 20 years, and forgotten about until I stumbled across it while looking for something else, (as you do), but I am aware that it is expensive to buy from model shops.  You might find it cheaper in Pet shops for people who keep snakes and the likes as Alan has pointed out, you might also want to check out some of the Florists suppliers, where it is used for flower arranging.  

When you get it, you will usually find that it has been cut at 90deg along top and bottom, but don't be tempted to just cut off the length you require, also at 90deg,  instead cut across at an angle, say 60deg approx. then measure your length and cut again at the same angle.  Glue your cut piece into position on you baseboard, then cut as many pieces as you can from the purchase part, all at the same angle, and glue each piece butting upto the first fixed piece, and continue like this until you have achieved the length of rock face you require.
You will always find use for the two small cheese wedges you are left with from each purchased section, so it is not wasted as it might seem at first.  You can if you want to, glue two of the wedges one on top of the other to make a whole new section for your rock face.
When your fixing glue has set and the sections are well secured to your baseboard, you can then fill the inevitable gaps between adjacent pieces, with any cheap polyfilla of your choice, to leave the rock face as a series of half circles abutting, but at an angle.

I hope that has been of some help Toto, now to get back to Glen Ogle and another go at posting the article from our correspondent at the scene of all the activity in the Glen.

Kind regards,
BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
The article was there earlier, as I read it.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Hello Ed and thank you for your time.

Because I wanted to place the post into the three forums I litter with my scribing's, I wrote it in Microsoft Word, and it is only this forum that I have been unable to tinker it into the form I wanted to present it in.

So I decided to write the heading lines again, and then see if I could copy and paste the bulk of the supposed article below the headline.

The heading was a large centred Killin Times, with a slightly smaller font for the supposed correspondents name

In the normal font size, but I kept getting the "invalid request" notice.

Regards,

BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
That's ok Brian, any excuse to get away from cleaning windows and putting up curtains.

When I saw it before, Killin Times was underlined and on the left just above the text.

Only thing I can suggest is paste the body of the text and then just type the title etc. and use the options at the top of 'Post Reply' to alter whichever bits of text you want.

You might be trying to paste a font type/size that the forum doesn't like.

Ed

Last edit: by Ed

Posted
Rating:

Killin

Times

Glen Ogle Railway news update     From our new railway correspondent   John Macdiarmid.
There is much excitement over the hill in Lochearnhead as the day approaches for the official opening of the Glen Ogle light railway.
 All the resident of the surrounding villages have received a leaflet giving details and times of the day’s events, and scheduled train times from Lochearnhead station to the head of Glen Ogle.
Included with the leaflet are two free tickets for a journey from Lochearnhead station, to Glenoglehead station and return, children under sixteen travel for free.
 On my visit to the two stations today, I found Lochearnhead station a hive of activity as contractors were erecting a Marquee in the new station’s yard, to give cover in case of inclement weather on the day, and to protect the cold collation available to anyone who wishes to avail themselves of some light refreshments.
A  few little final touches to the newly erected station building, kindly donated by one of the other private preserved railways, who have replaced it with a more
modern and substantial building.   This was disassembled and re-erected here on site by some of the volunteers that this new venture has attracted, the cost of transportation to Lochearnhead being met by Lord Breadalbane of Taymouth Castle.

Up the Glen at Glen Ogle Head station, things were more low key, but never the less, the station had had a spruce up, and all the contractors rubbish had been removed,
and a few buntings strung up to welcome the  expected influx of Passengers off the special inaugural trains that will  traverse the line.
The weather forecast for the great day is looking good according to the Met Office, the Times wishes this exciting venture well, and hope it provides yet another
reason to visit this beautiful part of Perthshire.

Posted
Rating:
I surrender, you will have to pretend the above is a newspaper article, sorry.

BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
It's readable Brian, it's fine :thumbs

So are you modelling the opening day ?

Best of luck.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
I've tidied it up a bit for you Brian.

Regards

Alan

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Brian, A lovely looking layout you have their and I'm so pleased you have decided to carry on with it after the encouragement from others on here ( they are a great bunch)  Many of the members model in isolation but find companionship , encouragement , critique, and advice on here (also a fair bit of ribbing if they deserve it ! )  from fellow Modellers . No matter where in the world you are your only a couple of clicks away from a great bunch  :thumbs

Re your news article problems .. Why not do the headline banner in the font and style you want , then save it as an image / gif ..which ever works then you can post the image as a headline banner and just cut and paste your article underneath it ?

Cheers

Matt
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Brian,

Great newspaper article. Hope there is no sheep on the line.:lol: maybe the residents of my old caravan site " GlenDochart " will walk the rest of the old abandend line that comes through the caravan park all the way down and joining Glen Ogle.

Some old bridges are out but the small waterways etc that they travers are crossable with care.

My caravan was pitched on what was left of an old siding platform. You can still make out the platform today and the remains of an old water tower are also still there.

First class

Cheers

Toto.
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.