Glen Ogle ( narrow gauge ) light railway.

Posted
Rating:
#180866 (In Topic #10211)

009 model railway.

Hello fellow modellers, here is an encapsulation of 15 months work, creating my layout, Glen Ogle.

Below, the real Glen Ogle viaduct.

My version of a turntable/sector plate fiddle yard, designed to handle the trains, returning off scene down the back of the layout, at the bottom  of the layout, since replaced with a sceniced return loop, not shown in this series of pictures, to match  top of the layout, again not shown in this series..

Two of the Chris Ward 3D printed tram loco's built by me, and mounted on a kato N gauge chassis, they powered and operated by radio control and 3.7v Lipo batteries.

How it all works.

Look mum, no wires, as my wife does a Wasjig jigsaw on the dining room table.

The works in the making, the radio transmitter kit being assembled.

One final set piece in the early days of Glen Ogle's build.

There you are folks I hope you have enjoyed the pictures of my layout

Regards,

BrianT.

Last edit: by gtmspyder

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Good work, Brian.  :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Beautiful work. All the little cameos add to the character of the layout. Interesting concept of the R/C trains and how you have incorporated them inside the coaches. Well done.

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Brian, that's nice work. I'm interested in the way you've fitted the Lipo batteries in the coaches. How do you manage running round the train at the terminus with this arrangement?

Kev
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hello Kev, although probably not obvious from the views I have so far posted, it is not an end to end layout but in fact a circular one.

There is a return loop at the top and bottom, which are joined down the rear off scene, by a single road at the top which splits into two storage roads as it approaches the bottom loop.
I had better show some detailed pictures of the two sections off scene at the moment to help others follow my thoughts as to how it all works.
Kind regards,
BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Hello again fellow modellers, I thought that in view of the above query raised with the Glen Ogle postings, I should show where we are now with the layout.
There was not a great deal of forethought or planning went into Glen Ogle from it's inception.  I have always admired the viaduct that climbed Glen Ogle, and had previously modelled another section of the Callandar and Oban line in EM gauge, with the section that was Balquider junction, about 15 miles to the south of the area I am modelling now.
The inspiration for the start of this model, was the Cliff-Hanger layout of Ivan Ladyzhenskey, (John De Frayssinnet) whose model of the narrow gauge Lynton and Barnstaple railway, along the cliff top is superb.
This inspired me to model Glen Ogle with it's viaduct on the hillside above the Glen, easily viewed from the A84 road, rising at the opposite side of the Glen.
Having built most of what you have seen so far, I began to realise that scenic as this line was, it served little purpose other than as a diorama, and if it was ever to be viewed as entertaining, it would need something additional adding, so I decided that at the top of the layout heading towards Crianlaric, I would build the junction interchange station that was built for the branch line down to the village of Killin as a future extension to the model, and a loop of rail supposedly traveling off scene to Crianlaric, this sends the trains back to a fiddle yard at the bottom, Lochearnhead end, of the model.

I blanked off the original going off scene tunnel, put in a passing loop, and slewed the track away fro the back scene to give me room to run a tight 9" Radius line with a further branchline point just off scene, ready for the branch to Killin at a future date.
Whilst the top loop does exist, it is not yet covered in scenery, and for some reason I Have no pictures, so we will pass to the bottom of the layout.
My first thoughts was to have a fiddle yard of some soret here, and so I designed this turntable come fiddle yard cassette system.

And this extension piece is what has  replaced it.

I laid the circle from Peco No1 radius set track and flexi track, leading to a point off scene to join up with the storage sidings that run down the rear of the layouts back scene.

This surface mounted 35 year old H&M point motor operates the off scene loop point.

The main track and the two storage road tracks are soldered to a strip of PCB at both sides of the base board joints to strengthen the track ends when the base boards are a split.

Various ideas were tried before the final scene was configured, this old Triang building was an Ebay find and fitted in with what I had in mind for this station, it even came with Scottish railway scene posters on the end walls.

The track once laid was painted and ballasted.

The platform was cut to shape to follow the track layout out of 6mm Balsa wood, sealed and painted.  The Ebay station painted in my corporate colours, was positioned on the platform, and fencing fixed in place.

A retaining wall was formed from MDF, and clad in DAS modelling clay the same as the viaduct.

The DAS was flattened on a hard flat surface, and the pieces transferred to a PVA covered retaining wall former, and pressed into place and moulded to join up with the all ready placed pieces, to cover the full area, then put aside to harden.

The wall was scribed with stone work.

I did not like the look of the full retaining wall behind the station building as it looked too much, so I cut it along a line just above the top of the tunnel mouth coping stones, angled the cut piece back at around 15 deg, fitted coping stones along the lowered retaining wall top, and changed the higher stonework into a rock face.

This eventually became this with a bit of colouring added, although it's not complete even at this stage.

The next stage was to fill the centre of the circle with some suitable scenery, and while scrambling around in my loft, looking for something else, as you do, I came across a store of Cork Bark I had purchased many years earlier for the old EM Balquider layout, which had never been used.  Now Cork Bark seems to have gone out of fashion for simulating rock scenery, but as I had it in stock, I thought I would give it a go.

I've always thought that the trouble with Cork Bark was the way people used it, usually stood straight on it's supplied straight cut ends, I prefer to cut the Bark at an angle, and that is what I have done in in the above view.

Any gaps where one piece abuts the next, were filled with acrylic paint tinted poly filler.

I was originaly going to build the centre of the fill with off cuts of polystyrene glued onto this piece of 4mm foam board.

But decided to give expanding foam a try, so a visit to a local Screwfix depot found me with two tubes of the foam at £4.50 each.
I shuttered behind the Bark to leave an area free for the return tracks, and stuffed some kitchen towel into the tunnel mouth to protect the laid track and stop the foam coming through onto the scenic side.

I left the foam to expand overnight having checked it was not going anywhere I did not want it, and the following morning was pleased with the result.

The shuttering was under a bit of a strain, but it had held.

I removed the shuttering, and set to work with a 12ins. hacksaw blade, I squared off the back scene where the shuttering had leaned, and started to contour the sides of the hill to blend the shapes of the foam into the contours of the Cork Bark.

I sliced off the pudding looking top to make more of a plateau, and did some more contouring to the Bark profile, and splashed a little colour around to get a feel for the work in hand.

These are the Acrylic paints I use for modelling, at £5 for two from a local "Works" franchise, I consider them good value for money, and they have a good range of suitable colours.

A little more work with the hacksaw blade and a little spreading of more plaster and colour, and it's coming along nicely.

And it's just about ready for it's first load of passengers on a test train.

And that's about it for this episode folks, hope you approve.

Regards,

BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Hello dear friends, long time no post :)
I wonder if anyone on the forum would like to take over my Glen Ogle layout?
Anyone not familiar with the layout can look at a blow by blow account of it's build in the postings above.
Kind regards,
BrianT

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
it must be soul destroying giving that up. it is an exemplary depiction of Glen Ogle. unfortunately I don't have the space for something that big or I'd be on the road already to come for it.

Someone will surely snap this up although they will have a job keeping up with the standard of your work. I'm assuming circumstances have changed for you and aside from lamenting your layout, will add a personal genuine heart felt sympathy that you have to give this up.

I have personally walked the length of Glenogle and beyond ( in both directions ) and can tell anyone that may think of taking over this fantastic layout that it would be an excellent project with the ability to gain further reference materials from the site itself as it is freely accessible to all.

don't let this layout go to waste.

cheers

toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thank you for your kind words Toto.

Regards,

BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Why are you giving up Glen Ogle Brian?.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Hello Alan.

It's a little difficult to explain, but I will try.

I suffer from depression, which comes and goes time to time, and a complete lack of self confidence.  Any set backs in what I am doing knocks my confidence and brings on a bout of lethargy.

I was  Hospital engineer for 30 odd years, with many hard learned skills and I really enjoy building and making things, and I am usually successful in what I attempt.  I have made two road going kit-cars for my son and daughter, two violins and a viola, for my son and daughter, a barrel organ for my grandson and a half size MK2 all electric Land-Rover, plus a 1200x600 sized rabbit layout in 009 and numerous other working and static models, for him.  I can turn my hands to most things, joinery, plumbing, electrics, which is my formal training, apart from brick laying for some strange reason I have never managed to do to my satisfaction. 

I am considered a god send to friends and neighbours when anything breaks down or stops working as I am usually there first port of call, either to repair it, or advise them so they are not ripped off by so called tradesmen cowboys, but this in no way helps when I feel down.

So to Glen Ogle, I have enjoyed building this, it is based on a real life location in a part of Scotland I have visited many times, and it is as near as dammit to being completed.    I split the two small end sections off the main layout boards to more easily work on them indoors, and I have done a lot of modelling which has not been seen yet, to the lower of the two stations, but I found that I was becoming more and more unwilling to work on them, and I realised, that it is unlikely that they will ever be exhibited while in my care although that was the intention when I started the build.

So I thought maybe someone else would like to take it on, make it there own, and perhaps exhibit it someday, in the not too distant future, (I am after all 76 years of age), if some exhibition manager would offer it a place.

I would like to recover some of the costs involved with it's construction, but I would discuss that with any potential buyer, and I am not a greedy person, a bit sad perhaps, but not greedy.

I hope that has given an insight into my reasons for offering it on.

Kind regards,

BrianT.  

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Brian,

I'm glad that you have offered to explain your position. I was a bit wary of asking as I second guessed it may be personal. Depression is a difficult thing to deal with. I suffer only from slight bouts ( but more anxiety attacks which are thankfully now few and far between ) and have never really been diagnosed as depressed or clinically depressed but know enough of it through my own experiences and that of an ex partner who was diagnosed as a manic depressive. So for a kick off……… My sympathies are with you.
You have however created many wonderful things which to me is testimony to your own ability ( and inner strength ). I think Glenogle deserves to be completed but really, it should be by you or you should at least remain at the helm and maybe take on some assistance.

Do you not have a model railway club reasonably local. They could maybe offer a couple of solutions. They may adopt it as a club layout and enable you to steer a group of like minded and appreciative people to complete it. Another option would be to involve just one or two members to be part of a more personal break away group and visit yourself once a week or so and have a construction come running session.

I hope my suggestion does not offend you as If anything, I am just passionate about seeing your efforts realised ( as with a few layouts on here which like yours, are exceptional ). Don't rush into anything, there maybe other options.
If your confidence is low at the moment, get yourself posting again as I am sure there would be no shortage of members on this forum ( and visiting viewers ) that would be only to delighted to ride along on your journey and spur you on.

I hope you have a rethink my friend. Either way, do what's best for yourself ………… And I hope to see you back on …….. Working your magic.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Brian

In the interest of fellowship, I'll come out of the closet and admit to being attacked by The Black Dog; more often than I would like.

There are probably more of our Bretheren on YMRC than we know.

I would not presume to tell you what to do (a first for me - as others will attest  :lol:), my train oriented dioramas suffer from lack of attention from time to time.

You clearly set the bar high for yourself.  That's obvious.

Suffice it to say that this community admires and values your work so far.

What ever you decide, rest assured that you will continue to be our friend.

Best regards

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Hi Brian,when i asked the question i didn't expect that answer and in hindsight i certainly wasn't trying to pry.As Tom has said i hope you can find a way to complete Glen Ogle on your own,maybe walk away from it for awhile. I think you can see from Tom and Max's replies that there is always help here on the forum and if there is anything i can do personally either post on open forum or PM me. All the best to you.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Good morning to Alan, Toto and Max.

Your replies to my postings have shown what this forum is all about, it offers help, advice, fellowship and understanding, and for that, I am most grateful.  In my case, I have found all four attributes have come to the fore from three people who I have never knowingly met, and your kindness is immeasurable, thank you.

I do find the solitude of working alone a chore, and would love to have the camaraderie of another like minded person.

I am grateful for your support at this time, and that you are appreciative of the work I have presented, may be I will take the advice offered so unstintingly, and try to resurrect the enthusiasm I had when I started the model.

Thank you for your support.

With the kindest of regards,

BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Brian,

As you quite rightly say, that's what this forum is all about. I'm glad you're considering taking Glen Ogle forward again both for the sake of the layout and having the pleasure of having another very talented modeller to bounce off.
My skills at this stage are very basic and no way could I replicate what I see in the likes of Glen Ogle. However, it does not stop me wanting to. For that, I need the likes of yourself and others who I regularly follow in order to " learn the ropes ".

I am around on the forum whenever I have the opportunity As I am totally hooked on what goes on within. Albeit, this thing called work has to come first. :lol:
Please post away as I for one will be a avid viewer / contributor. If I don't get back right away , especially during my working hours, it won't be long before I do. I'm sure your posts will attract many.

A couple of points.

First, I notice where you are at the moment as you turn your attention to both " ends " as the main middle section is " mature " , some more pictures would be a great place to start and due to my inexperience, maybe an explanation of how you create the wonderful foliage area's etc would certainly be of interest to me. I am currently working on an embankment area on my Highbridge mini layout and although I have the main larger details in my head. Some suggestions on types / quantities and placement of ground cover and the likes would be well received. If you feel up to it, feel free to pitch in. It may be a slow process in terms of progress for me but if you can handle that frustration. ……… Chip in.

Secondly,

I don't know what your circumstances are with regards to getting around, but as you may have seen, there is a meet planned for the Warley model show at the Birmingham NEC in November. An excellent opportunity to meet up with some of the guys including myself and cement some friendships. One warning though……….. Once you get us ……….. You don't get rid of us.:lol:

Let me know if you intend going along.

I'll go for now but I'll be lurking around over the space of the day but more so evenings so if you post and there isn't an instant reply ( daytime ) I'll catch up in the evening.

Hope your spirits have lifted a bit. Now go get up to your elbows in PVA.:lol:

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Toto, watch this space.
It's a pity you live so far away, I am sure we could make a good team.
As for a visit to the Warley exhibition at Birmingham's NEC, that might be a possibility, if you can travel the 200 or so miles from Edinburgh, then I'm sure the 100 miles separating me from Birmingham has to be a possibility.
kind regards,

BrianT.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Brian,

That's great. No pressure but it would be good to meet. You should possibly be glad that you don't live nearer as you would not get shot of me:mutley.
There are plenty members around so it's just a matter of time before paths start to cross. Scotland has been a bit underrepresented in terms of numbers of members but that seems to be changing a bit now. I too have to travel a bit if I want to bring a bit of social interaction into the hobbie but it is worth it as I feel it helps enormously if it's not so anonymous. When these opportunities come around, it needs someone to crack the ice a bit. Some people prefer the solitude but I am like yourself, I enjoy some company whether it's over the forum or a visit when time permits.

I'm off shortly to immerse myself in a spreadsheet exercise but I'll return later and with a bit of luck, you'll have unwrapped some of your modelling secrets.:mutley

Look forward to seeing what your on.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Morning Brian, have you considered asking any like minded modellers who live in or near your locale if they would be interested in forming a low key club of your own? perhaps starting a facebook group, or placing a request in one or more of the monthly magazines, I am thinking of a group of people who visit each others homes and work on each others layouts rather than a formal club, apart from the social side of things you would have help in finishing your layout, just a thought.

Keep your chin up mate we are all here to help, best wishes, Pete.

it was already on fire when I got here, honest!

Posted
Rating:
Hello Pete, thanks for your support.

Regards,

BrianT
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.