More a gangway than a plank

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

small end terminus with industrial area 8 x 2

Go with it Toto, looks OK :thumbs

Reference the chicken wire and plaster bandage, I go with that as well. As you said "why pay to buy something else".

Good practise and if you don't like it or it doesn't turn out too well, then look at Styrofoam or something else and re-do it.

Ed

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

Another decision made. If I had not already had it then anything would have been considered but I have something like a 5m roll of chicken wire and at least a dozen plaster bandage which apparently has a shelf life although all packaging is still sealed.

cheers

toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I'm using chicken wire bought for covering flower pots, to try and keep the squirrels from digging the bulbs out.

Like you, great long roll and loads left over, some of which is the now the framework for my embankment.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

I'll be interested in how you get on with it. don't forget the progress pictures.

cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I like chicken wire as landform. :thumbs

In my experience, the plaster bandage dries much faster with chicken wire than with sheet materials,  probably because the air can circulate both above and below.  I once used some expanded polystyrene as the base and the bandage took over a week to dry …………..;-)

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Petermac,

Another good thing about the chicken wire is that to a certain extent, it's self supporting. There will be a few strategically placed formers but the wire itself has strength. Once the plaster bandage gives off then that's it. It ain't going nowhere.
I think some more irregular forms can possibly be achieved as well. The only downside is that the foam can achieve a rock like surface a bit easier. However that will be overcome somehow.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Couldn't help myself… :roll: Had a play with your design…

From the changes I made earlier with the point in between that of the headshunt and quarry sidings (post 66), I have replaced these two points with one single slip. This could improve shunting maneuvers, as well as taking up less space on the board, allowing a little more scenery.

Cheers, Gary.

ps. You don't need to purchase styrofoam, fruit shops have empty boxes lying around… ;-)

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Gary,

The changes are good. The plan looks quite balanced and very workable. As you say, plenty of scenic potential as well.

cheers

Toto 
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.