More a gangway than a plank

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

small end terminus with industrial area 8 x 2

Hi Ed,

a very valid point there. Not sure how to get round that one. it may just be very unprototypical. There is not eough RTR narrow gauge stuff available and I don't want to spend time trying to build my own as it would take too long and I don't think I'm up to that anyway.

Gary I would intend to use the Kadee type so maybe I'll need to see if I can straighten thins out enough without going to straight and featureless.

more thought required.

cheers

Toto 
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Yet another possibility with my old favourite the scrap yard. Possibly turned 180 degrees would be better having the cutting to the back.

cheers

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Tom,Interesting move to building a plank railway .Not a bad idea to get something up and running and to practice on as against the big build long haul job.
Goodluck.
Derek.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Derek, just a stomping ground for the R & GLR ….. even went technicolour this time.

another variation of the same idea but which one is the more interesting ??????

cheers

Toto

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Prefer the second one Tom.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Alan,

Is that the second one on the previous page ( forestry ) or the second one on this page the quarry.

I liked the forestry one myself

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
The quarry.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
:hmm let's see what the masses say. It does give a bit variance in scenics and ground cover. I like the tunnel as well.

The quarry face could be quite a challenge as well.

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Whilst the forrestry one offers plenty of modelling cameos, I actually prefer the quarry.  You have an automatic backscene in the quarry face and lots of potential with the crushers, stone heaps, machinery and assorted railway rolling stock.  I also like the tunnel because it immediately begs the question -  what's in there ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thanks Petermac.

It's interesting to see other peoples take on it and The lure of the tunnel was something I never saw but yes ………where is it going ?

2 out of 2 so far.:mutley

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
 Quarry Toto,

I like it!!!!….and here is a link to a how to make rock faces…..American…..this is the first installment showing tools required….the second installment ( which should show up in the menu on right of screen) shows the process of making them.

Enjoy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1D4KBB_GC4

:cheers  Gormo

"Anyone who claims to have never made a mistake, never made anything!!"

https://sites.google.com/site/greatchesterfordmodelrailway/home

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Gormo,

Great video's of working in foam. Any tools will do and most people would have them. He makes it look easy and gets good results. Worth a try. Terry's cardboard strapping is handy as well but maybe not as easy to get the same texture. More for surfaces which will take grass.

It's looking like the quarry is the popular scenario by far at the moment.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
The scrap yard.
Your main layout is going to be urban and you are going to do the scrapyard.

… or even a small MPD. 

That will allow you to practice the muck and grime!

cheers
Marty

Last edit: by Marty

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Marty,

I can see the merit in the scrap yard. If I were to go for that I would need to remodel the track slightly in order to be able to use the kadee couplings properly. Not that it's a big task to do that.

As well as the scenics, couplings etc I will also be attempting the wire in tube method of point control. I know that it's not applicable to the R & GLR but the smaller nature of the layout lends itself well to trying it anyway.

Thanks for your opinion. More food for thought.

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Just to throw a spanner in the works, Marty mentioned a MPD (TMD).

Something like Alan's maybe?

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=11960&forum_id=21&highlight=MPD

It would also be somewhere to display some of your locos that weren't on the main layout.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Ed,

That would be one major undertaking. I remember looking at this for the first time and thinking ………. Jesus.

If I were to do a TMD it would have to be on a smaller scale. I like the idea of having plenty space to park up loco's etc. it would also deviate from the shunting plank idea though. All that would really be happening is shifting loco's about but I suppose there is fuelling, washing etc.

What I don't want to do is create another monster of a layout. As much as it is tempting to go the full Bhuna with the TMD the emphasis is meant to be on a plank type thingy that concentrates on the scenics rather than loads of track. :hmm
As you will probably have witnessed over the last while……..I have the tendency to wander off piste.

A small rural TMD maybe but I would like to still build in some heavy scenic element. I'm thinking straight off the top of my head as I'm typing here so sorry if I'm all over the place. You've got me thinking. How do I restrict myself from going track crazy but also allowing enough to make a TMD worthwhile ?

I'll need to think a bit more on that one.

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Small 2 road rural or industrial shed and a fueling road, that's all you need mate.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
The case for the TMD is building stronger. …… I'll have a play around on Anyrail and post my results.

:hmm
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
A small rural TMD

does this get the seal of approval ?

cheers

Toto
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.