More a gangway than a plank

Posted
Rating:
#179911 (In Topic #10168)
Guest user

small end terminus with industrial area 8 x 2

I have been playing around with Anyrail to create a small ( ish ) layout on an 8 x 2 baseboard. I ain't doing it ( yet ) but with all these smaller layouts sprouting up I thought it may be fun to have a go at drafting one myself. 8 x 2 ain't tiny but compared with the R & GLR it is smallish. 
I have a back wall in the shed ( at high level ) which could store this on wall brackets and it would not get in the way of the operating of the R & GLR.
If it ever comes to fruition, I thought of experimenting with a light weight baseboard construction of 3mm ply ( braced and a overall surface of maybe 1 inch polystyrene ).

I am definitely just playing about with Anyrail to give me something to do whilst I'm away but what do you think anyway. the type of small industry has not been decided but it will be small as the fiddle yard lanes are short. the biggest thing that would run on it would be a 2 car ( or maybe even 1 car ) DMU Class 03, 04, 08 shunters and a class 22, 25 or something smilar.
In theory this would be used to try out different building methods than what has went before on the R & GLR
your comments are welcome as always.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Apologies,

here is the image file

cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
My initial impression is that it looks very "busy" Toto - maybe that's what you wanted but to me, it looks a little "crowded" …………:roll::roll:  Also, assuming it's "OO" gauge, a point needs around 9 inches to a foot so you'd probably struggle to get that lot into an 8ft length - in spite of what Anyrail says …………………;-)

In real life, pointwork is expensive to build so they would really have to need them or they wouldn't build them.

I too am thinking along the lines of a "shunting plank" - like you, to practice building various structures and trackwork,  but also, to have some fun "shunting" . ;-)

Regarding your lightweight baseboard - I'd shy away from polystyrene as a surface (unless you can get the high density stuff) in favour of styrofoam (extruded polystyrene rather than expanded polystyrene :roll:).  Polystyrene is funny stuff.  Doesn't take anything well - pins, glues, weight or even cutting.  Styrofoam (I think a Dow trade name for extruded polystyrene) on the other hand, is much tougher.  Whilst it won't take many glues, it will offer some hold for pins and can stand carving and weight.  Inch for inch thickness-wise, it's much tougher stuff.

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Petermac,

Thanks for the comments. On looking at it and taking on board what you say with regards to how busy it is, you are probably right. When I started looking at this, I had much humbler idea's for the track plan which in essence is what makes these planks so workable. However, it does not take much to start getting carried away with things …… As has happened here.

All your comments with regards to the polystyrene are also coming back via previous comments in similar discussions on other posts. I think I will put the above to bed and seek something a bit more minimalistic which can still offer adequate shunting activities. I'm sure one must exist :mutley.

Back to the drawing board

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
CJ Freezers 'Miniories' could be favourite. Or something derived from that.

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Bittern,

I will need to investigate :mutley simplicity but interesting are the watch words.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Minories in its original form was an inner city terminus, albeit for short trains.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Has anybody either on YMRC done a similar plan or are there any elsewhere that you are aware of. It would be interesting to have a look.

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Found this on that other place. Might make interesting reading!!
http://rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=38059

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
G`day Toto,
               During my active term with that other railway forum, I was quite impressed with the monumental output of track plans by Hugh Flynn. He seemed to favour shunting layouts like the type you are proposing. I will place a link here for you. There are approx 34 web pages of layouts with accompanying text, so you should find some inspiration there.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=24472

:cheers   Gormo

PS….they are drawn with Xtrack Cad I think???

Last edit: by gormo

"Anyone who claims to have never made a mistake, never made anything!!"

https://sites.google.com/site/greatchesterfordmodelrailway/home

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Gormo,

What an excellent site. There has to be something there for everyone. I have only had a whistle stop tour of it so far as it is very extensive  but I will be going back to it again over the next few days to give it the attention that it deserves.

So many great possibilities.

Many thanks for posting this link. …….. Tremendous.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Gormo,

on closer inspection there are a couple of Diesel depots about 5ft in length that look quite interesting. One has a traverser plate though.
How are these incorporated into a baseboard ? looks a bit tricky. getting the mechanism right in order to create a good solid transition from board to board or rail to rail. I don't know if my carpentry skills are good enough to create a system that would avoid any slop in the motion.

I'll maybe play about with some sketches and see what I can come up with.

Once again, an excellent site …………. spoilt for choice and some could be progressed quite quickly to a reasonable state of completeness. Maybe in the future once the R & GLR is at least operating phase one properly. A project to be progressed in tandem maybe. I have enough track etc left over and a few sets of points and one or two extra cobalts.  I may even have the plywood for the plank itself. its a thought.

cheers for now. 
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Here is one of the track plans that I have copied from the above link ( full credit to Hugh Flynn please ) in Anyrail which is on a baseboard of 8ft by approx. 20 inches or so.

There would be a retaining wall between the steel dist depot and the scenic break for the traverser and an overhead pipeline which you can maybe just see running up diagonally from the corner of the warehouse in front of the traverser. you could squeeze a further siding off the main incoming line at the bottom if wanted I suppose but would you really need it ?

The steel industry could be substituted by any number of other industry options.

I think that this could be built in a reasonable time even by someone with limited experience. The buildings would be the big challenge for me. DC or DCC ? My heart tells me DCC as I am converting all my loco's that way. With minimal turnouts, this could give an opportunity to attempt rod and tube method. Another big challenge would be the incorporation of a reliable transverser.

maybe's aye, maybe's naw.

comments ?

toto

Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Hi Toto,

One thing I noticed with your plan at the beginning of the thread is that there is not enough length in the sidings at each end of the board. This would make shunting quite difficult. Something to consider is having a few sidings of different lengths. These siding lengths are determined by the loco and a nominated quantity of wagons that can be stored or shunted into. The simple diagram below will give you an idea regarding shunting limitations. When designing/planning a plank, measure everything out on the baseboard using points and a variety of wagons and locos. This will let you know if it will work sufficiently.

As for shunting layouts, take a look at this ; http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/sw-timesaver.html This is the original timesaver layout, but ofcourse it can be adapted to suit your needs. Another great site to browse through is this ; http://www.carendt.com/ Click on images or one of the headings, ie, 'Micro Layout Design Gallery' which will give you some inspiration.

If you can get hold of Railway Modeller Vol 65 No.765, there is a great little Inglenook layout in there.

Cheers, Gary.

Last edit: by Gary

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
G`day Toto,
              I`m glad you have found something of interest there. When I used to follow Hugh Flynn`s topic, I could not believe how quick he was at knocking up these plans. People would put in a request for a plan and overnight, or at the latest within a couple of days ,he would have it done.
              The trouble was, I thought in the end this cannot last. So many requests were coming in and I thought it was a bit unfair on him……and then…..no more……so possibly he decided enough was enough……don`t know????…….But what a great lot of plans he has left us all with…….well done Hugh.
            Traversers Toto……..I would suggest a good deal of research there. It`s not something I have thought about in great detail but I am sure somebody on this forum will have the details for you. I made an extremely simple one years ago which was actually a hybrid. It was a sliding fiddle yard that could also revolve and it was out of view. It was used on my son`s 6 foot shunting layout. I made it by simply sitting one piece of laminated particle board (with track fixed to it ) on top of another piece of laminated particle board. No bracing….no bearings….no motors….all hand operated with alligator clips to make the connections. It was secured with one bolt. There was a single bolt hole in the top piece and a slot for the bolt in the bottom piece which allowed it to slide and also rotate. It was not precise by any means but it worked a treat. I guess technically, that`s not a traverser, but it shows that these things don`t have to be great technical achievements to work properly.
:cheers  Gormo

Posted
Rating:
Banned
This plan you have (steel mill) looks good. :thumbs Rather than use a traverser, why not use a sector plate ? This would be far simpler to operate, via wire in tube.

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
G`day Toto,
                Just to wet your appetite……here is one of Hugh`s little layouts

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/29815-oil-drum-lane-new-layout-for-pontefract-show/

And my favourite which is only 6 foot long……track plan is on page 2

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/15961-balvenie/

Last edit: by gormo

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Gormo,

they are both excellent but Oil drum lane has the edge for me. great layout and superb modelling. what a skill.

cheers
toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user

Another take on the planky thingy

We've got a right load of Plankers on the forum

toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
G`day Toto,
   This planky thingy layout doover whats it…..have you considered a removable cassette system as shown on your modified plan below. You could gain 3 roads over 3 feet in length and you can have any number of pre- loaded cassettes.
  Just an idea……toss it around mate.

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.