Kingsway Models card kits

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
They look good Peter - quick work too. :thumbs:thumbs

Just a couple of questions - what's the thickness of the "web" between the window frame and that decorative overhanging rectangle - or are they designed for the web to be removed and just use the window and rectangle ? 

There doesn't appear to be a sill on that same "middle" window.  Is that intentional ?

The pack shot shows the left hand windows in pairs.  Again, is that for ease of print/packing and they are separated on arrival ?

I don't think the price is at all bad - for the quality, it seems much cheaper than the kit itself ………..:cheers

p.s. Euros are quite nice things with pretty pictures on them. ;-)
Hi Peter, the windows are each designed to be pushed into the hole cut in the card with a little bit of glue on the back of the facing to hold them in place. The "web" is .7mm thick (which is the thinnest you can print in that material) and meant to be kept. It then emulates the detail on Max Moseleys house in the Daily Mail article that I posted the link to in a posting above. I think that may have been what the Kingsway model may have been getting at in the original print. The "web" and the cornice above it should hide the printed rectangle.

The middle windows on the Kingsway model seem to use the cornice below it as a sill, so I left the sill out to make it match the print.

I positioned the left windows slightly too close in the batch print so the top cornice is just touching. I will need to respace them slightly further apart.

I've been away from Europe too long ..I've never seen a Euro. 

Here is a picture of the back of the windows.  The surrounds project through to give the illusion of wall thickness.

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Understood Peter - I see what you're driving at. :thumbs

I've been thinking about those basement windows…………:hmm…………

You may remember I said the kit was designed to be built as a "ground level" model, in which case, the print was cut off where the red arrows are here - right through the middle of those basement windows:

or, as a "full depth" building with a slot cut into the baseboard - in which case, the windows would be modelled in full.

I think any basement windows you offer would have to be "optional" because just using the top half of the window to "ground" level, would look very odd indeed.  My feeling is that, when modelled as a "ground level" building, it would be better to paint those windows out altogether or, to use the kit supplied printed ones with the supplied "glass skylight" gratings………………….:hmm:hmm:hmm

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Well I have modeled the basement windows, moved the touching windows apart and re-uploaded to shapeways.

I understand your point about the basement windows being optional, but I think I'll leave them in the batch unless someone specifically asks for them to be excluded. Shapeways price with the extra windows is currently 16.25 Euros including GST. If you don't need them they are still 4 useful windows for the odds and sods box.

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
Excellent Peter and yes, at the price, even if those basement windows are not used on this building, they're useful to have in the "bits box".

I'll have a count up about the station canopies, chimney pots and benches, then get on to Shapeways. :cheers:cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Order placed with Shapeways. :thumbs

Apparently the order will be with me around August 20th - can't wait to see what they look like. ;-)

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
That,s quite quick Peter.  Looking forward to the build being carried out.

reg

Posted
Rating:
The build won't be as quick as Shapeways Reg. :oops::oops:  I'm very busy "elsewhere" at present plus, I still have to order some iron railings from Scalelink but, as with everything I order from UK, I'll need to add a few bits to justify the international postage.  It's a matter of deciding what I might actually need, rather than just filling a box to save a few pounds in postage …………..:???::???:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Peter, I got a notification from Shapeways that you had placed an order. Their notification emails always start with "Yippee! You've sold models…."  I hope you have a "Yippee" moment when you receive them. I'm very interested to see how the "Kingsway windows" work out.

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
If I'm the first Peter, I'll expect a huge gift voucher for my next order …………….:mutley:mutley

ooops - got to shut down - bad thunderstorms are forecast from midnight 'till 9am and we've just had the first big lightning flash.  Must disconnect this thing because we can get massive power surges during storms.

"A demain" my friends. :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Oh if only I made enough money out of this to send out gift vouchers, even small ones :cry::cry::cry:

You are the first order for the seats and the Kingsway windows maybe they will become collectors items as first editions and will one day be worth a fortune :mutley

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
:mutley:mutley:mutley

Are they signed editions Peter ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Just pop around with them and I'll sign them :mutley

Peter

OO Bidley
DCC Layout with TC8 Gold

Model Railway Structures

Posted
Rating:
:mutley:mutley:mutley

Ryanair don't go there - Bishop Auckland possibly, but your Auckland doesn't appear to be on their schedules ………………………:cheers

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.