LMS Pull Push Coaches

Posted
Rating:

Finally!

Yes Peter, that's what they are.  You should see Conway Tubular Bridge, Oxford etc.  Each of these can be saved.

John

Check these out too:  http://claudebuckle.co.uk/posters/posters.html  Stunning!

Last edit: by Brossard

John

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sorry John - I misunderstood. :oops:

I thought they were going to be pictures of coaches…………..:???:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I thought so Peter, in hindsight.  I got so excited with the find I forgot to be clear.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
I have printed out the resized (and very small) carriage compartment prints.

I have a cunning plan so don't fret.  The first is to mount the printout on a piece of 0.010" plastic sheet.  I used spray adhesive for this (and had a heck of a struggle since the tin hasn't been used in a long time).  I also gave it a coat of spray matte varnish.

More to come.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
My cunning plan takes shape:

Here, I've laid out the picture frames with one end open to allow for different widths.  The frames are 0.020 x 0.040" strip.

The pictures were cut off the sheet above and placed in the frame.  The location of the end piece was marked and the picture removed.  The end piece was then glued in.  All were done that way.  I then painted the frames using Tamiya Hull Red.

I had to paint them a second time after cutting out because some sanding was required.

I also made some mirrors using aluminum foil.  This worked OK, but wasn't brilliant.

The final result:

I'm quite delighted with the pictures, the mirrors not so much.  I really had to squint to see enough to get the right way up.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Well, my cunning plan went the way Baldrick's used to do - when fitting the pictures I found they were really too big.  I've resized them again to about half the size.  We are in the realm of diminishing returns here - literally - because now the pictures are essentially blobs of colour.

Still, this coach is a learning exercise, next time things will go better.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
What if you built a bigger coach John ......................................:roll::roll::roll::lol::lol::lol:

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
O gauge? Don't tempt me!  One of these days….

John

John

Posted
Rating:
It's been a while since I posted a picture.  Interior progress has been slow but I'm getting there:

The compartments and floor are a module that pops out - for now anyway.  I used cream for the guard and driver compartment, I think is a good colour for that.  I know LMS steam loco cabs tended to be cream. 

You can just make out the driver's console.  I based it on a Cl 108 DMU and actually found an excellent picture of the driver's console.

I reasoned that there would be a speedometer and vacuum gauge.  There would be two levers:  regulator and brake.  The red thing, I'm not sure about - could be the emergency brake.

I've been painting the driver, he's nearly done.  His seat is finished.

There's a handbrake wheel that will be over the driver's right shoulder that is done as well.  This I'm sure about because I have a picture from inside the cab showing the driver and handwheel.

I just painted the picture frames.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Banned
Hi John,

Just a thought… :hmm What about using O gauge station posters cut down to size to fit your picture frames ?

For example… http://tracksidesigns.co.uk/Die-Cut-LMS-Self-Adhesive-Platform-Signs-Black-O-Gauge It looks as if some of the larger 30mm signs could be cut in half horizontally to produce two posters/prints.

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Gasp!  That costs actual money!  There are some great looking travel posters on the site I linked to above.  Besides, it's not travel posters but carriage prints inside the compartments that I need.  Tiny Signs do a self adhesive pack.  There's another site I found today that has more travel posters: 

http://www.allposters.ca/gallery.asp?aid=1030443844&c=c&search=97796&DestType=12&VTP=Start&NetWorkType=s&PAdCopyId=5550886578&ClickPos=1t3&KWID=361280067&VTP=End&gclid=CLvGy9-cmMACFaTm7AodPGcAsw&KWID=361280067&gclid=CLvGy9%2DcmMACFaTm7AodPGcAsw&KEYWORD=Pictures+British+Railways

These look to be able to be saved as well although I didn't try since they are all BR.

Anyway, I've just about finished now and you'll see what I mean tomorrow or soon after.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
[user=565]Brossard[/user] wrote:
O gauge? Don't tempt me!  One of these days….

John

Been there and done that.  Couldn't see the carriage prints inside the coach in O gauge.  Nor the luggage racks. 

Terry

Posted
Rating:
…and you won't be able to see the prints in these either, but I'll know they are there.  I'll make d**n sure anyone in range knows too!

I actually thought of luggage racks…but then sanity intervened.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
I finally got all the parts to come together today:

I got all the pictures installed.  You can't see them here but on the other wall, there's a "mirror" in the center.  I tried using aluminum foil but it's so fragile that I couldn't get it flat.  I ended up painting some strip aluminum - still not great but at least it'sflat.

I got my poor suffering driver installed.  You can just see the handbrake wheel to the side.  I can see errant paint that needs to be cleaned up.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
This is turning out to be a really nice piece, John.

Did they work in pairs, then?

Posted
Rating:
They could work as single coaches but I think more frequently they were  paired with an all third, Max.  There were several loco types used - a few  Jinties were auto fitted (a special gubbins on the smokebox), but I think more  common were 0-4-4T locos.  Many were ex Midland but there was a batch built by  LMS.  Even some 2-4-2T tanks were auto fitted.  I plan to have a Jinty and  0-4-4T as locos for this work.

I've seen pictures of a loco sandwiched between two sets of coaches.

Here's a better picture of the driver's end:

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, John.  I'm trying to get my head around it.

The coach has a driver, so I'm taking it that it has it's own motor.  I assumed that they would operate in pairs, with a driving position each end - much like a tram; so there would be no need for a turntable.

Did they have a steam engine to help with steep gradients?

Posted
Rating:
Ah, not quite Max.  These coaches did not have their own propulsion so the steam loco was required for that. 

Pull Push locos had some special gear that allows the regulator to be operated through the train vacuum.  Locos and coaches that are fitted out for Pull Push service can be spotted by the third hose on the buffer beam (vacuum brake, steam heating pipe and vacuum operated regulator). 

Here`s a good picture:  http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2825228  Note the hoses.  Also note the device on the RHS of the smoke box.

The fireman stayed with the loco at all times and tended the mechanicals.  The driver operated the train from either the loco or the trailer depending on direction.

There were coaches fitted with small boilers that were used on some routes but I don't think they were common.  There's good picture here of a GWR steam railmotor:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_steam_rail_motors

Good questions Max, you`re keeping me on the hop.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, John.

It's going to make a superb model.  Unique and very interesting.

Posted
Rating:
Yes, this operation is interesting to me.  It's something that the manufacturers have neglected for LMS anyway.  Hornby did some  Southern Pu Pl stock for use with the M7 I believe.

John

John

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.