LMS Pull Push Coaches

Posted
Rating:

Finally!

Great work John. :thumbs:thumbs

Watching with much interest ………………………;-)

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I resolved yesterday to get this project moving.  I lined and numbered the coaches.  Today, I weathered the underframes and bogies - these have now been assembled.

I've varnished the coach bodies but I think they need a second coat.

In addition, the trains will, of course, need something to pull them.

I lined and lettered the 2-4-2T, this started life as a BR liveried loco. 

I based this on a picture of 10644 motor fitted in LMS Locomotives.  Note the vacuum regulator on the smokebox.  Cobbled together from various bits of tube and wire.

The smokebox end will couple to the train, so it has a #18 Kadee.

The bunker end is fitted with a screw link.

Lamp is for "ordinary passenger".

Buffer beam piping is vacuum brake, vacuum regulator and steam heating.

The lining has to be just about the most difficult thing.  I used HMRS transfers.  I'm not ecstatic about the result but weathering is yet to come.

For completeness, something I did earlier, the loco for the other train:

Again, 7479 really was motor fitted.  This is based on a picture in an article by Tim Shackleton in an MRJ from a few years ago.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Got the coaches together this morning, gluing the interiors down, but leaving the bodies loose for the moment.  Couldn't resist putting it all together for the first time.

Train #1

This shows the coupling system, a NS hook linked to a loop.  I added some copper wire to represent hoses - this can be adjusted easily and isn't optimised yet.

Train #2, all 3rd accommodation.  Train #1 is a bit posher since it has some 1st class.  I forget to install the coupling at the loco end - easy done.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Very sharp looking John.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Gene, they've taken long enough.  I'm thinking these trains will form the basis of passenger ops on my layout.

John

Posted
Rating:
I thought my couplings might be of interest:

A right licorice allsorts array of couplings.  From left, the NS coupling hook, next a Kadee #5, stuck under the buffer beam.  I had to cut away the front of the bogie  - seems OK.

Next to that something standard, glory hallejuhah, the Hornby cam with a #18 Kadee.  Finally, the driving end with a screw link.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
I weathered the 2-4-2T today:

I used an airbrush, first spraying on Earth, followed by black.  I placed some black streaks here and there using powder.

John

John

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.