Something completely different

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member

Some birds of prey

Toto, I remember some time ago you mentioned flies with big eyes. Are these big enough.

Tachnid Fly, Plym Woods, Devon. Taken yesterday with Nikon D3100 with 18/55 lens set to 55 and camera set to P setting.

I'm old, that's why I'm allowed to change my mind, when I can find it.

My Website: index
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Bittern,

Sure are, again, fantastic detail and a fascinating subject.. I wonder if they can actually see or if these as just sensory ?  Another great shot anyway. Very difficult to get given the nature of these insects.

I've still to go through Wednesday nights field trip shots. I'm hoping there is at least one worth while image. If so, it shall be posted.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
No probs Toto. Glad you liked it.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
OK, Hi again,

I've been through my bug attempts and I'm afraid they are not to hot. I will upload one to show you the kind of issues I was having with depth of field.

Keeping it in mind that I was shooting directly on top of the critter looking down its body. This will give you an idea of the kind of front to back focus I was getting. The lens was about 20mm - 30mm away from it. I could not get it side on as I was as low as I could get and could not lie down as it was in marsh land and I had no waterproofs. Anyway,

Dont know what it is ……. I'm not that well educated I'm afraid, I just know I like to look at them.
Due to the poor show of bug images, I thought I'd throw in a few others taken on other shoots I've been doing lately. There are a few good locations nearby including an RSPB hide and wetland sanctuary and also a beautifullt tended war remembrance garden.

her are some more images,

I hope you like.

another

admittedly not the most wild or natural of shots when including a bird feeder but still ok.

You cant go to Scotland without seeing sheep. We like them up hear……. as long as you get a good looking one.

For the plant lovers,

and another

and another

well I hope these were worth the visit.

I'll be back shortly with my photos of the big bird.

cheers Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Some shots of a crab spider, they can change colour (usually white, yellow or pink) to match a flower which it waits inside, when a bee, wasp, hover or other fly arrives with the intention of gathering nectar, crabby pounces and one quick bite to the neck paralyses the prey

Waiting for din dins

Yum Yum 

Minolta 5D, Tamron 90/2.8 macro

A few roses here     https://picasaweb.google.com/107343264059948197611/Roses

Last edit: by Dorsetmike

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Wow…….. amazing images Mike……………. I must try harder :mutley amazing clarity and detail.

I'm back myself with some of my big bird shoot from over the last couple of days.

Unfortunately I have had to be very selective in what I have posted until I assess whether permission is likely to be given for me to post the rest although about 2 zillion tourists were taking photo's of the following from their cars.

anyway a small taster of the more mundane.

here we go, I hope you like.

Landed and taking on fuel,

with the ground crew

OMG !!!! they dont give you much length on the remote control cable these days

G'day

We're off

a couple more from the air,

and another,

and with load ……… the most likely culprit so far to get me the sack ….. oh well.

an old tower is recovered

and the new are in,

and one of trouble,

or is that double trouble,

I was at Grandad's house making crispy cakes with Aunty Carolynne. mmmmmmm

well thats it for now. there may be some more helicopter shots at some point if I can get clearance to air them. They get a bit nervous about these things.
cheers for now

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
And eating them too Toto by the look of her face. Will get back to you on the idents of the bug and birds. Good pics though mate. Getting it right with insects is definitely not easy. The darn things don't keep still long enough and they never land in the ideal position.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Bittern,

I did see others, I fact one in particular was more like one of your dragon flies but I could not get set up quick enough. I was jumping about like a looney which of course would not help. :mutley

Did you have a look at Mike's crab spiders. Wow. I may be wrong but the first bird ( which I have other shots of has red in its colourings as well and may be a Greater spotted woodpecker if there is such a thing. I may be getting the name slightly confused with something else.

The bug………. Don't have a clue :mutley

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
That is what I thought, the first is a Greater Spotted Woodpecker (there is such a thing), the second one is a Great Tit.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Yes I thought as much. I used to get great tits up at my caravan site but they can be easy to be confused with Coal tits. I am a great fan of photographing tits. …….. Aren't we all.

I have more of woody showing the red plumes but I thought that was the slightly better shot. I may post another later.

Cheers for now

Toto::
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Just came back from town after buying a new lens.(well new to me anyway). It's a two year old Tamron 18/200 with in-built autofocus motor that I have to have for AF to work on my Nikon. It cost me £120 which I feel is not too bad. Tested it out a few minutes ago and in a bit I'll add a pic that took to try it out.

Here's a pic: Houston, we have lift off. (female house sparrow on roof about 35 feet away.)

Passion Fruit flower from back garden

Last edit: by 60019Bittern

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Bittern,

Sounds good for £120.00. A good focal range covered there as well so it should lend itself quite well to being what I call a go anywhere lens. I'll look forward to your trial shots.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Our paths must have crossed. A good shot, plenty of detail in the birds wings and the vegetation round about ( which I suspect your autofocus has locked on to ), especially at 35 feet. Looks like you have made a good and lucky purchase. I would have thought that it would have cost more than what you have paid. Auto focus as well.

Do you use UV filters to protect your lenses ? I buy what was Jessops own just as a front line protection against taking a knock. Rather crack a filter than a lens. In saying that, if you are buying lenses which are maybe a bit special, I maybe wouldn't bother as the filter glass could in fact take the quality away from the lens glass depending on the filter quality and it's ability to deal with light. It's a bit of a balance I suppose.

Happy shooting.

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I was lucky too, I picked up the similar Tamron 18-250 on Ebay for £130, as my cameras are Minolta and Sony I don't need any AF or anti shake in lenses it's all done in the camera body so usually lenses are a bit cheaper than for "Canikon" .

The way I look at it is why pay for the AF motor or anti shake mechanism in every lens when you can pay once & get it in the camera. Some will say yeah but the AF is faster and/or quieter, or the anti shake in lens is more effective, how often is that significantly necessary unless maybe you are a professional photographer, or doing natural history research/recording or similar work?

Cheers MIKE
I'm like my avatar - a local ruin!

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I have been out to have a play with it in the back garden and am about to download the results. First impressions however are very favourable as compared to those of my Sigma 70/300. Time will tell I suppose.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Had a new lens arrive today. A brand new Tamron 70/300 with built in focus motor. Gave it a quick checkout in the back garden and more than happy with the results compared to the Sigma that it will replace.

Dunnock enjoying the sun. (This has been cropped to remove the garden)

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
This is one of the first pics I did with the D3200 and using the Tamron 70/300 lens. Caught it just as it burst out from the river.

Cormorant, Plym Estuary, Devon.

Little Egret, River Plym, Devon. This one was on the far side of the river and I was quite pleased with the result.

Last edit: by 60019Bittern

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Hi Bitrern,

Both well framed shots. I particularly like the action of the first shot. Not an easy shot to get. Well impressed.

Cheers

Toto
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Banned
I reckon you have got a thing for birds with long legs…

…and short legs… ;-);-)

Great pics. :thumbs

Cheers, Gary.

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Anything with a pulse really :pedal
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.