00 Gauge - Ottersford Junction, GWR 1920's

Posted
Rating:

5 times longer in coming than Brunel took making the real thing!

Sorry to hear about all your problems. but you've posted some nice photo's. On the Parkinsons front, I told my doctor that I was concerned about the shakes and he said that because it's in both hands, it's probably not Parkinsons.

I've got enough on my plate with the lung cancer, so that was good news for me.

Cheers Pete.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Mal… !

Ottersford Junction is looking fabulous!! I think the addition of the railway workers cottages is perfect for the space and the little access bridge is spot on.

The curving viaduct is so atmospheric crossing the river valley. You have done a great job.

I too have a stash of railway modelling material purchased when things were cheaper…. phew.

I hope the shakes settle down for you… at least you are modelling 00.

ATB

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Wonderful pictures of a lovely layout.  You have made some excellent progress.

May I ask what paint you used for your GWR colours?  I really like the shades for the light and dark stone paintwork.

Bob

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
That comment about the dreaded C came as a bit of a shock Pete - hope they caught it in good time.

You've done some great modelling there Mal - like Marty, I love the viaduct although I can't see too much of it.  I also like the "field" scenery - rough grass with a few trees and shrubs makes it all look very realistic.

I wouldn't have the patience to make the Governess cart, never mind steady enough hands !!

We have friends who live in Cape Town and they tell us electricity supplies are somewhat erratic, to say the least,  so keep a good stock of candles handy !!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I like all things that Peter likes, as well. The viaduct and scenery is a stunner.

Peter, I had a kidney removed because of a large tumour; no symptoms. Unfortunately it metastasised to the lungs. I was first put on pills, but they weren't up to it so I'm now on immunotherapy. Fingers crossed it'll give me some reasonable time, but who knows. Anyway, we're in England May/June and are having four days on a narrow boat with my old school mate and his wife. We did it back in 2008 and loved every minute. We're going more or less to the same place which is Ellesmere, not the port. A trip across Telfords famous aquaduct and a visit to vermuliens bakery for the best pork pies aside from Melton Mowbray which I can't comment on, but I think we'll have to try it. I'm putting weight on just typing this. :-)

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
You've been having tough times Pete - good luck with the treatment and enjoy the canal.  Incidentally, I see they've drained the Pontcysyllte aqueduct for maintenance - hopefully, it will rain again before you go ………………………

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Peter. I hope the viaduct is open when we get there. A big disappointment if it's not.

No more hi jacking Kaiser's thread. Sorry, Mal.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks guys for all the kind comments.

Pete - so sorry to hear about your current battle but it can be winnable so all the best to you.  At least you've made my problems look small!

Marty - my Dad started me with Tri-ang '00' because it was more realistic than Hornby 3-rail. At the time '0' was naff so everything I got was '00'.  If I was starting again now it would be '0' (assuming I was rich) but how you manage such detail in 'N' astounds me!  I'm looking forward to 'Newcastle' rising again in its new home.

Bob - I had some 'Precision' paints but it was getting low & you can't get liquids delivered now so I took samples to my local paint shop & they mixed me some 250ml 'testers' which are a pretty good match.  It's vinyl so the coverage isn't too good on plastic so I have to do 2 or 3 coats.

20240327_112655.jpg
Apart from the internal staircase this is a reasonable representation of Bearley North Junction Box in 1908 (page 63 of 'Edwardian Enterprise' by Wild Swan).  It's a Gaugemaster kit & was dark green so with shaky hands it was a real p.i.t.a. doing the windows & it needed three coats.

20240327_112457.jpg
I'm afraid the labels have faded because it was a while ago, but the pale colour is 'Sandstone Skin' (PC=0.50 PG=3 PQ=5.90 Pastel Tint Base TCA 1000) & the darker one 'Freckle' (PC=14.5 PF=4.70 PJ=2.30 Deep Tint Base TCA 2000).  I don't know if those codes will help you!

Petermac - there are more pics of the viaduct earlier in the thread.

As I've learnt now that regular working can't be guaranteed, I've made a rough frame out of aluminium angle to hold some plastic sheets to try & minimise the dreaded dust!

20240327_113154.jpg
20240327_112903.jpg
Another view of the station. 'Terrier' 'Ethel' is station pilot in Easewood to Ottersford Railway colours.  His Lordship when he sold out to the GWR asked that the 2 locos owned by the company (named after his eldest son & daughter) be kept in original livery.  (If anyone is interested in the history of the E. to O. Railway in the ancient county of Stormede I can bore them with the details!)

All for now - thanks again.

All stressed out, got addled brains?
Ride your bike or play with trains!

Posted
Rating:
Thanks, Mal.

I like that signal box and the picture of the station. The cover's a good idea too. I should do the same as we live on a sand island with plenty of heat and humidity. I'll probably never get round to it though. :-)

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
I also think the cover idea is a good one but as peterm says "I'll probably never get round to it though. :-)". I think most modellers I know tend to have periods of inactivity for various reasons. The problem is identifying when that is going to be.

Posted
Rating:
You are so right Dave - who'd have guessed the last break would be 3+ years?!

All stressed out, got addled brains?
Ride your bike or play with trains!

Posted
Rating:
thanks Mal,  Newcastle Emlyn will be put back together eventually, it's low on the list at the moment as many other home making jobs take priority.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.