Sound decoder in the Hornby Ivatt Std. Class 2

Posted
Rating:
#290065 (In Topic #21867)

Has anyone done it ?

I'm toying with the idea of buying one of the recent Hornby Ivatt Std. Class 2 locos although I don't really know why ………………..

It's DCC ready with an 8 pin socket and is presumably designed with Hornby's own TTS sound project in mind.

If I do buy one, and I do fit sound, I'd want to use a Zimo decoder.  Has anyone done one and if so, is it a tight fit ?

I note the decoder socket is in the tender but is there also room for a speaker ?

Regardless of decoders, has anyone bought one of these locomotives and are they any good ?  I have read that the detail is superb, as is the paint job but the same review had significant reservations about the power and reliability of the motor……………

It's not a cheap locomotive and if it turned out to be just "pretty", I can think of prettier things to spend my hard earned cash on………………….

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
It's a while since I did mine but as I remember it, I took out the socket and hard wired the Zimo MX645. I carved up the tender to fit the speaker and stay alive (Lais). I probably took the weight out as well. I made a cover from fly screen mesh for real coal to sit on top.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Pete - I may well ask more questions about it ………………..

I've just ordered one from Germany - I have a non-sound chip in stock so once run-in, I can at least use it on the layout before deciding which sound decoder might be best.  I'm not sure the "MX" range is still available, replaced, I think, by the "MS" range.  I'll have to check on their relevant sizes once I know how small the tender is …………..:05eek_2:

I've looked online for details about fitting sound to this loco but only found passing comments about the available space, or lack of it - no details about which decoder or speakers were used.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Yep, the MX series has been superseded by the MS, or MN if no sound.

Cheers Pete.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.