Triang Series 4 Track (and 3 as well)

Posted
Rating:
#289784 (In Topic #21844)

Upcycling some old track.

Finally decided to have a look at some of the old track I have acquired over time.

First up was a box of Triang stuff. I discovered that much of it was series 4 and there is more than enough to create a basic oval and siding with three sets of points. Unlike the Mk1 grey stuff that warped well out of gauge this stuff seems OK, although I am going to have to the 'Repair Shop' bit on a fair bit of it. Other than the rather wide sleeper spacing and what looks like a bigger than normal rail cross section it looks fine. So far it has been washed and next job is to clean, fix, connect and check continuity.

I have a bit of series 3 as well and the sleeper spacing on that is enourmous.

Just curious if anyone uses the stuff or has had expereince. I do not intend using it for a permanent layout but I do like to see how this older stuff works still. A quick check on E-Bay and there is quite a bit up for sale, but no offers as far as I could see so I do not think I am sitting on a gold mine.

The sleeper spacing of series 4, and 3 actually makes it a good track as a tramway base as filling in the track supports makes it look more realistic.

freelance model railways and tramways
index02
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
The last time I used series 4 was over forty years ago David  :S

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Well I bought some Peco O gauge track joiners this morning and hope they work to get it together. Pretty chunky stuff for 00.

freelance model railways and tramways
index02

Posted
Rating:
Looking forward to see how you are getting on.  There are a couple of good Youtube sites, where the owners fiddle around with old Triang stuff.  One has nickel plated his track!  Take a look at 'Oscar Paisley' and 'Mr Snooze'.

Bob
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.