Blossom Hill 2

Posted
Rating:

A small 00 Branch Line

I understand your dilemma Bob.

Although I'm from "oop north" and therefore a die-hard LNER/LMS fan, I do like the sleepy GWR branch lines so often modelled.  The industrial north usually suggests those "dark satanic mills" of urban and industrial landscapes requiring quite large layouts to create the proper image whereas anything "south-west" can so easily conjour up pretty little villages served by the occasional shiney locomotive bringing a few passengers and collecting cheeses, the odd milk churn and a bunch of spring onions - all clean, green, dainty and flooded with sunshine as opposed to my black, soot covered noisy clanking monsters spitting nasty steam everywhere……………………..

Hmmm - I've almost presuaded myself to change to "GWR" …………………"almost" being the operative word !! :mutley

I do however, wish Hornby would get fully involved with TT120 - it should, and could be a fantastic scale to work in.

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:

Petermac said

I understand your dilemma Bob.

Although I'm from "oop north" and therefore a die-hard LNER/LMS fan, I do like the sleepy GWR branch lines so often modelled.  The industrial north usually suggests those "dark satanic mills" of urban and industrial landscapes requiring quite large layouts to create the proper image whereas anything "south-west" can so easily conjour up pretty little villages served by the occasional shiney locomotive bringing a few passengers and collecting cheeses, the odd milk churn and a bunch of spring onions - all clean, green, dainty and flooded with sunshine as opposed to my black, soot covered noisy clanking monsters spitting nasty steam everywhere……………………..

Hmmm - I've almost presuaded myself to change to "GWR" …………………"almost" being the operative word !! :mutley

I do however, wish Hornby would get fully involved with TT120 - it should, and could be a fantastic scale to work in.
a
Just to add to my thinking.  Last year I decided that I would order a TT:120 Class 08 in BR Green.  While not GWR, I thought I could run it with some wagons and use it to test the track until something more suitable is available. However, looking at the latest catalogue, it is unlikely to be released until Autumn this year.  The promised GWR Castle does not even feature in the  listings.  The announcement of the J50 was very welcome news, but that too will not be available until at least November this year if it arrives on schedule.

I could buy one of the Pacifics currently on sale, but that would not really suit a sleepy branch line, nor would it really prove the track that will be used by smaller locos.

Posted
Rating:
Another Rethink……

I sat down, rather frustrated a couple of nights ago to decide where I wanted to go.  My heart is not in another 00 gauge layout as I really want to try TT:120.  As mentioned above my progress has been hampered by the lack of suitable locos and rolling stock for the layout that I wanted to build - a GWR branch line.  Then the light came on.  Why was I so interested in such a narrow subject?

I began to rethink and at the end of the process I concluded the best option would be an east coast mainline setting.  In TT:120 there is a reasonable range of of items available and more in the pipeline.  An 8 x 4 board should give me enough space to  build a busy through station with a double track mainline and maybe a branch leading off and some goods workings to a nearby shed or industrial facility.

So, Blossom Hill could well turn out to be something entirely different.  On reflection, my original intent was to remember Sparky and the original Blossom Hill.  Hardly a branch line:

11_101815_310000002.jpg

Last edit: by Bob K

Posted
Rating:
I can understand your concerns Bob.

There's a massive difference between the East Coast Mainline and a sleepy GWR branchline - I originally had that same problem - which do I opt for.

Whilst I loved the idea and track simplicity of a branch line plus the huge scenic potential, I grew up near York and well remember drooling over the wonderful A4 "Streaks" and other Gresley masterpieces hissing at the platform during their brief stops between London and Edinburgh so mainline it had to be.

Until 5 years ago, I had the space but now think a branchline would have been more suited to my present truncated "train room".  However, the dice had been cast and, as the second hand value of stock makes one cry, I had little choice other than to stick with north eastern region albeit with smaller locos and trains.

Provided you don't attempt to model the whole of the ECML, or Kings Cross pre "modernisation", I'm sure you could select a smaller, intermediate station, all of which had goods facilities coupled with branchline connections, I'm sure you'll have great fun, particularly as you say, the RTR stock is already available.

Really looking forward to seeing what develops.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
What are you going to use for control Bob, DC, DCC or the new Hornby HM7000?

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
We had a member many years ago & Petemac will remember him  - Owen Lotfhouse with his MN&S  Railway & I asked Own what is stood for - Midland, Northern v& Southern & this allowed him to run anything.
The owner of Kernow Model Shop was a member & a staunch GWR man but did say. if he likes a loco of any parentage, it can run on his rails.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:

Ed said

What are you going to use for control Bob, DC, DCC or the new Hornby HM7000?

Ed

It will be DCC.  I have a couple of Prodigy systems from previous layouts. I am not going to bother with sound as I found it quite annoying and ended up turning the sound off after a while of running.

Bob

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5 (Liked by Ed)
Last week I sent off for some locos as I am keen to get something running.  They are all secondhand but listed as new and cost around £100 each.  I have quite a bit in the kitty from the sale of my N gauge stuff, so it seemed like a good idea to reinvest in the layout.

There are two A4s and an A3:

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 13.20.52.png

Posted
Rating:

Sol said

We had a member many years ago & Petemac will remember him  - Owen Lotfhouse with his MN&S  Railway & I asked Own what is stood for - Midland, Northern v& Southern & this allowed him to run anything.
The owner of Kernow Model Shop was a member & a staunch GWR man but did say. if he likes a loco of any parentage, it can run on his rails.

Not a bad approach as there is always that bargain out there that needs a good home!

Posted
Rating:
Oooo… this is exciting! A4's and A3's and a mainline! Bob… Reg would be equally excited. Bring it on.

All the best

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:

Marty said

Oooo… this is exciting! A4's and A3's and a mainline! Bob… Reg would be equally excited. Bring it on.

All the best

Thanks Marty. I am still accumulating the additional track that I will require.  I will also need some lengths of flexible track and curved platforms.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Wish you luck with curved platforms Bob, my N gauge Metcalfe ones are becoming a bit of a nightmare  :mutley  

Ed

Posted
Rating:

Ed said

Wish you luck with curved platforms Bob, my N gauge Metcalfe ones are becoming a bit of a nightmare    

Ed

I have an idea that I wish to try out Ed, that I will reveal once I have sorted out the track plan
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.