LSWR carriage map

Posted
Rating:
#289411 (In Topic #21816)

Pre-grouping LSWR system map

I've recently rediscovered this pre-grouping carriage map while sorting through a stack of framed artwork still packaged up from out move from the UK several years ago. I was doing some research as to when it may have been produced and it seems to date from after 1908, Any further thoughts from knowledgeable enthusiasts would be welcome.

20240107_154726, 700px.jpg

20240110_142640, 1000.jpg

20240110_142654, 1000.jpg

20240110_142705, 1000.jpg

We bought it some 40ish years ago in Ryde on the Isle of Wight, where we lived at the time, due to having all the Island’s stations, as well as my beloved Princetown on it, so we parted with £12.50 and it’s provided interest ever since. I reckon it's a reproduction in a period carriage frame, although I've no idea what period or region, maybe even BR.

I assume the inclusion of golf links was a marketing ploy to lure more gentlemen to travel on LSWR rails in their plus fours!

For an alternative copyable version of this map, visit https://sremg.org.uk/sr_map/lswrmap.html

Best,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Bill,

Having looked at the lines shown on the map I would agree that the date of 1908 is about right for the lines shown. Many branches were added in the first years of the 20th Century and they are all there.
We can discuss more when I see you on the 27th.
:mtrain:

MarkL71A,
Chandlers Ford

Posted
Rating:
Nice but incomplete map - it doesn't seem to show Doncaster - is it off to the right ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Haha and yes Peter, I too think it's probably off .  .  . well maybe way off, but never mind, just head downwards and when you reach Paddington, jump aboard a west coast express, sit back and luxuriate in peace and wonderment.

Hope you and Liz are not too frozen down there. It's just popped above freezing this morning, so things must be getting better, although the bride's got a stinker of a cold and I hope I can steer clear of it until I get off to Blighty at the end of next week and to my annual railway exhibition treat and meet up with Mark again.

Best,

Edit:  Happy Birthday Peter and I hope the birthday fairy brings you something black and steamy         
  • 21,708 topics, 267,708 posts, 507 members
  • Our newest member is workers99
Birthdays:

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Many thanks for the birthday greetings Bill - not black and steamy but small, with wires attached to go inside an existing black and steamy monster so it can talk to me ………….:drooling_2:

I think you're getting the forecast cold snap ahead of us - we've been a positively balmy 10.5 C today although minus 5C is forecast for the weekend.

If you're heading to UK shortly, you need to stay well clear of colds - I understand there's also an upsurge in Covid cases just now too.

Enjoy your trip next week - which exhibition ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Peter, hope you get the decoder to play nicely with you. I'm wary of the UK as I came back with covid last year after a chassis building course at Missenden, so will be careful.

The exhibition has been one I've attended for many years now and is at Eastleigh, not far from where I'm staying.

2024-poster.jpg
Warmer here today fortunately  :cheers2_2:

Posted
Rating:
Following some research, I found an interesting video following the route of the Southsea branch from Fratton to East Southsea stations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=zjwXmut5oUY

I worked out of an office in Southsea for many years, so am slightly familiar with the region.

Last edit: by Longchap

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Fascinating video Bill, it's a shame there is so little left.

Ed
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.