Price of loco decoders

Posted
Rating:
#289108 (In Topic #21783)
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Is it me, or has the price of loco decoders shot up in the last few years.

I want some decoders for some of my new N gause locos and the price of a Bachman 6 pin 36-568A for example, varies between £36.95 and £27.50, not that anyone at the lower price range has any in stock.

I know it's  few years since I bought decoders and that was for 00 gauge locos which might be a a bit cheaper anyway, but I'm sure I used to be able to get a four fnction decoder for around £20, or am I having a senior moment.

Ed
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
I think it may be just the relative lack of supply keeping prices up Ed. Since the pandemic, there seemed to be a huge restriction of chip supply and I seem to recall that car manufacturers in particular were suffering badly, with increasing stockpiles of cars without functioning electronics.

I've been unable to find my preferred Zimo decoders for over 12 months due to low / no stock availability.

Commiserations

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Thanks Bill.

There does seem to be an awful lot 'on order with supplier'.

Posted
Rating:
You're right Ed, the price of decoders has shot up if, as Bill says, if you can find any !

I'm OO gauge and lean heavily towards Zimo decoders.  Only a couple of years ago I could buy their 'budget' non sound decoder for £20 now a tad under £25.   I know sound decoders which were about £100 are now around £120 - again, if you can get them !

When I returned to railway modelling maybe 15 or so years ago, I was amazed at the strides made in quality and mostly at an affordable price.  Today it seems to be heading back to the rich man's hobby it once was - or am I just getting poorer …….

Last edit: by Petermac

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
The Bachmann ones I want are manufactured by Zimo, so could be that's why they're in short supply.

The one I want for a little 08 shunter is an eye watering £40 discounted price, which I suspect is something to do with it's physical size.

:'(

Ed

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.