Exmoor 2023

Posted
Rating:
#287274 (In Topic #21670)

EXMOOR RAIL - 2023

After the success of last year's show at our new venue, this one is looking to be even better.
It will be held on Saturday 5th August at the same venue. The West Somerset Community College, Bircham Road, Minehead, Somerset, TA24 6AY

OPENING TIMES:
10.00am
 to 4.30pm

There will be around 15 high quality layouts, wide trade support, plus demonstrations & Societies.
Excellent hot and cold refreshments will be available all day and there is free parking onsite.

This is a really friendly show and all are welcome. Hope to see you there!

ADMISSION:
ADULTS: £7.00
CHILDREN: (UNDER 16): £3.00
FAMILY(2+2): £15.00

Last edit: by breakage

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Just a pity it's a bit far for me to 'nip down' Maybe next year I'll  combine a visit to family and drop in 👍

Cheers

Matt

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
It's a good show Matt.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Breaker of Things
breakage is in the usergroup ‘Administrators’

spurno said

It's a good show Matt.

Sounds like you have some in-cider knowledge there Alan….

….I'll get my coat.

Signatures? Where we're going we don't need no stinking signatures!

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I went there a few years ago at the old venue,it was a good show. The member who runs it,Exmoor Dave,a member on this forum comes from the same town as I do.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Hi everyone,

And the answer is, YES  I am still running the show, but a couple of friends from the club are helping with the publicity. There's a lot of work involved in any show that most people do not realise, so when someone volunteers, I am very grateful!!!
Hope to see you at the show,
Best to all,
Dave

Posted
Rating:
David is still running things, I'm just helping out.

Unfortunately, there will not be a bus service between the Minehead WSR and the venue this year.

Posted
Rating:
Breaker of Things
breakage is in the usergroup ‘Administrators’
Adding reply as test

Signatures? Where we're going we don't need no stinking signatures!

Posted
Rating:

The following layouts are confirmed for EXMOOR RAIL 2023

MOORS VIEW - 2MM
UPWEY JUNCTION - 4MM
RED HOOK BAY - H0
HARRISS'S SIDINGS - 4MM
SHEEP DIP - 4MM
ST. OSWALDS - 0.16.5
1914/18 WINTER IN FRANCE - 009
BRADSTOCK MPD - 7MM
ASHMOUTH - 4MM
TOP YARD - 4MM/EM

See you there

Posted
Rating:
The above layouts are just the first batch, so there will be more added soon...........

Posted
Rating:

We've just added two more layouts to the show.

ASHGATE - 009
GARA BRIDGE - 4mm

MOORS VIEW - 2mm
UPWEY JUNCTION - 4mm
RED HOOK BAY - H0
HARRISS'S SIDINGS - 4mm
SHEEP DIP - 4mm
ST. OSWALDS - 0.16.5
BRADSTOCK MPD - 7mm
ASHMOUTH - 4mm
TOP YARD - 4mm/EM

Posted
Rating:
And we welcome two more fine layouts to our show on Saturday August 5th.

THISWAYE - 7mm
VENTEROL-ROUSSET - H0

ASHGATE - 009
GARA BRIDGE - 4mm
MOORS VIEW - 2mm
UPWEY JUNCTION - 4mm
RED HOOK BAY - H0
HARRISS'S SIDINGS - 4mm
SHEEP DIP - 4mm
ST. OSWALDS - 0.16.5
BRADSTOCK MPD - 7mm
ASHMOUTH - 4mm
TOP YARD - 4mm/EM

Posted
Rating:

We've just added another layout to the show.

TUFFELEY ROAD  00 F/S
A brand new  layout, based east of Gloucester in a contemporary setting. All locos are sound-fitted, with Colas, DRS, D B Schenker & EWS represented, plus visiting locos - heritage traction from rail tours.

Posted
Rating:

img046 (2).jpg

Last edit: by spurno

Posted
Rating:
This is our guide cover! Apologies that this has come out so large, but couldn't see how to reduce it! I have to go out now so I'll try again later - but you obviously get the message!!!
Best to all
exmoordave

Last edit: by spurno

Posted
Rating:
It's almost time to head off and begin the set-up…..

Posted
Rating:
Set-up almost finished, just a few to await tomorrow morning. Weather forecast is dull & windy, so ideal exhibition weather - not the beach…….

Posted
Rating:
For those unable to visit UK model exhibitions, I'm sure most of you will have seen the You Tube exhibition posts by "SDJR7F88".

He (or she) seems to attend lots of exhibitions and posts some good video footage.  I thought he'd posted one of your Exmoor exhibition Dave but in fact, it was the Exeter Model Railway Exhibition ...............

Not like actually being there but good to see exhibitions which I wouldn't otherwise manage to see.

Long may you guys keep organising these things - it must be nerve-wracking wondering if attendance revenues will cover the significant cost of running an exhibition.  Certainly since COVID, many have sadly failed to reappear.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Here in Southport, our November exhibition came back 2 years ago and, thankfully, showed improvement last year notwithstanding the loss of the local newspaper whose advertorials were greatly missed.

Our Exhibition Manager is complaining about the lack of good layouts but, in reality. there are self-imposed restrictions that prevent the club over-committing to large layouts that require transit vans and overnight accommodation.  Locally, the smaller layouts are in good supply but they don't have the "kerb appeal" of the big, multi-facetted layouts we all like to see.  That is also true of the club layouts where our own self-imposed limits lead to the creation of smaller OO layouts or mid-sized N gauge offerings.

The local Wigan show last year failed to generate the expected revenue and there are stories circulating of unpaid expenses - not sure how much truth is in those but it is damaging that the rumours are out there.  We are not expecting a repeat of the Wigan (on the same scale) show this year.  Theirs was a BIG event and, if the rumours are true, demonstrates the dangers of over-committment.

The whole situation will be unlocked by the restoration of faith in the attendance figures.  Maybe clubs, who may have been "rivals" or, at least, independant, start to consider joint exhibition ventures - 2 day affairs in a good venue with a good spread of layouts, traders and demonstrations.  We have a 1-day show in a church hall.  That makes good money but relies heaviliy on resources from outside the club to make it a success.  It is not a show-case of the club's ability or talent.  A few quid in the bank is one thing but without the ability to attract new members, the clock will be ticking.

We need to look at Exmoor and other succesful shows to build a sustainable, profitable model (excuse the pun) that can be adapted to suit.  That will, inevitably involve a sea change in the thinking of some - and change sits uncomfortably on some shoulders.

In the interim, long-live the videographers whose travels expose us to the great and the good and who give us the ideas and inspiration to make improvements to our own shows.

Shed dweller, Softie Southerner and Meglomaniac

Posted
Rating:
I'd far rather visit an exhibition than watch a video of it Barry.

Unfortunately, that's not often geographically possible - I've never seen one advertised in my part of France and even if I did, almost everything about it would be wrong for me - not UK outline, wrong scale (albeit only slightly adrift) and way, way too expensive.  Heaven knows where they get some of their prices from but a non-sound loco at €250+ is considered a bargain !!!

It seems to me exhibition planners are in a catch 22 situation - "local" layouts not requiring overnight accommodation certainly keep costs down but one quickly runs out of "stock" to draw on to ring the changes.  Even when exhibitions bring "long distance" layouts in, it's surprising how often the same layout appears on the circuit.  I try to visit at least 2 exhibitions every time I come over to Blighty and, whilst most of those I go to are in the north-east,  I'm amazed at how many of the layouts I've seen previously.  That doesn't encourage me to expend too much effort getting to any particular show.   Having said that, costs can very easily get out of control - nowadays, everyone seems to want their pound of flesh.

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.