ScaleModelScenery Baseboards

Posted
Rating:
#287620 (In Topic #21628)
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
There has been a few references to SMS baseboards on the forum, but I was wondering if any members had bought any and what they thought of them.

For example I understand they are made of MDF rather than ply and was wondering how heavy they are, whether they are prone to warping.

How to choose a model railway baseboard - The complete guide (scalemodelscenery.co.uk)

Ed

Online now: Yes Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed,

I've used several of the SMS baseboards and found them mostly ideal.  

I say 'mostly' as the boards are only held together with two small bolts.  These are perfect if the layout never moves, but I exhibit my layouts, so I added longitudinal strengtheners, both on the front and at the rear at the top edge of the backscene.

They are mdf, and fit together (as a kit) very will indeed - you just need a decent pva / wood glue.

I've not painted my boards, just stuck cork sheet down before laying track.

Hope that helps.

Stu

Stubby47's Bespoke Model Buildings All photos I post are ©Stu Hilton, but are free for use by anyone.

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Yeah, thanks Stu.

Wasn't sure about sealing them with paint or PVA glue first (if I get some), but  you've answered that question anyway.

Thanks again.

Ed

Online now: Yes Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Interesting that they use MDF - I wouldn't have thought that an ideal material for baseboards unless it's very well braced.  Although it's a highly stable material, it has very little lateral strength because there's no grain but then I suppose they probably know better than I do.

I'd still prefer ply...................

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.