DYI DCC command Station for A$70 ( about 40 Quid )

Posted
Rating:
#266265 (In Topic #14505)

Computer control using an Arduino Uno

Now that I have your attention - let me explain.

I have been using NCE and TrainController Software for 15years and when I came across a video explaining how to build a DCC Command Control unit that would connect to a computer I thought I would give it a go.
Why ?  Well I do most of my decoder programming using Decoder Pro on my Train computer but there is not much room in the train room and the thought of doing my decoder programming at my desktop computer in a comfy chair was a big incentive to give it ago.

Arduino is an open source hardware and is readily available. There are free programs written by enthusiasts for all sorts of applications ( they are referred to as sketches)

This project was inspired by a YouTube video by Rob of Little Wicket Railways where he shows in detail how to build an inexpensive Digital Command Controller unit based on an Arduino UNO  that connects to JMRI on your  computer.

The components are:
  •  Arduino Uno and USB cable   A$19 including postage
  •  L298P Motor Shield                 A$19.19 including postage
  • 15v power supply ( i used an old laptop power supply )  About A$26 including postage if purchased new,
  •  a few Wires and pins
  •   Arduino Software (free)
  •  JRMI Software free)
  •  Arduino Sketch - free This one is more up to date than the one Rob uses.
Once the Arduino and Shield arrived from Amazon and Ali Express It took me about half an hour to digest the video and have it up and running!   I have now laid two pieces of track on a narrow board that can sit in front of my keyboard and secured the Command station to it so that I have a very mini computer controlled layout and a programming track. Not bad for less forty dollars and a recycled laptop power supply.

Last edit: by gdaysydney

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
:HappyI had completely forgotten about the DCC++ software, and as I have been looking to make a new DCC system using JMRI you came a long at just the right time.

Thanks so much.

Andrew Martin
Small Operating Layout Designs (since 2003)
Modelling pages
Modelling – The Martin Family

Posted
Rating:
[user=2228]iandrewmartin[/user] wrote:
:HappyI had completely forgotten about the DCC++ software, and as I have been looking to make a new DCC system using JMRI you came a long at just the right time.

Thanks so much.
Pleased that my post acted as a memory jog.

You may be able to answer a question regarding using JMRI.  This Arduino project works well but it is only A DCC Command system that connects via a USB port.
I have also built another of Rob's projects ( just as an experiment) that uses infra red detectors to send messages to JMRI - but it also uses a Com port.  How would both systems work with JMRI?. ( To get the infrared detector to work with NCE and TC I have bought a DIY kit from ArCoMora which attaches to the Arduino board and the unit effectively becomes a stationary decoder)

Dave
Notmutley
British OO outline, DCC - NCE PowerPro, Sound chips, Computer Control- RR&Co software

Posted
Rating:
Not sure how to get the Arduino to work with JMRI. I know that you can get the same basic setup using Raspberry Pi (follow this YouTube link for more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtaZ1_L91Bg)

Andrew Martin
Small Operating Layout Designs (since 2003)
Modelling pages
Modelling – The Martin Family

Posted
Rating:
[user=2228]iandrewmartin[/user] wrote:
Not sure how to get the Arduino to work with JMRI. I know that you can get the same basic setup using Raspberry Pi (follow this YouTube link for more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtaZ1_L91Bg)
Hi Andrew,
The arduino DCC +++ needs a computer to connect to JMRI  ( via the USB port)
From watching the video,  using a Raspberry Pi ( with WiFi,  and an SD card) , connected to the arduino DCC+++  takes a step further and gives you a throttle on your mobile phone using JMRI software and negates the need for a desktop or laptop computer.     That's something I might experiment with at a later date.

Last edit: by gdaysydney

Dave
Notmutley

Posted
Rating:
Good morning everyone; this is my first post on this forum, I have been reading here a bit before joining this morning.
As a first, and to give some information on this topic:
the past year I had been involved with a small group (3 people) to develop a handheld controller that will connect to DCC++ (EX) using a Nextion touchscreen, and an AVR or ESP controller. Below a public posting introducing the controller to "the world".
https://www.trainboard.com/highball/index.php?threads/a-nextion-based-controller-for-dcc-and-dcc-ex.146008/

The actual installation details:
https://github.com/normhal?tab=repositories

Hardware required:
1. Nextion touchscreen (preferably 5" enhanced): https://itead.cc/product/nx8048k050-nextion-5-0-enhanced-series-hmi-touch-display/
2. Either an AVR (Uno, Nano, Pro Mini) or an ESP8266 or ESP32

Last edit: by Erik84750

There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Erik and welcome. 

Nice looking TR4 by the way.

Bill

Last edit: by Longchap

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Thank you Bill. I see you reside in France.
We too, a holiday residence in the postal code next to my name. TR-register: earckens.

Posted
Rating:
[user=2305]Erik84750[/user] wrote:
We too, a holiday residence in the postal code next to my name. TR-register: earckens.

But your location says "Ghent - Belgium" ………………land-slip ?  :mutley  (Ah - I'd missed "holiday residence" ……… :oops: :oops:)

Welcome to the club Erik.  :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Yes, for many years now, enjoying old cars and model railways. Our first sports car was a TR4, which we still have and cherish many happy memories of French adventures with various cars and clubs down the years.
Hope your 4 is behaving itself. Ours is pretty much original, despite a rebuild 30 plus years ago.

Have fun,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Don't start me on classic cars ……. I've had my fair share in the past among the most interesting being a 1939 Singer Nine Roadster,  a 1948  Talbot 10 Sports Tourer,  1949 Triumph Roadster and a 1955 Series 1 Land Rover.  (You'll have noted I was "modernising…. :mutley)

How I wish I still had just one of them now ……..

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
[user=2305]Erik84750[/user] wrote:

But your location says "Ghent - Belgium" ………………land-slip ?  :mutley  (Ah - I'd missed "holiday residence" ……… :oops: :oops:)

Welcome to the club Erik.  :cheers

Residence = Ghent. Holiday residence = Provence (FR).
And in France it will be where my model railroad will be build (starting end of this year, retirement winking :), in our "downstairs"). For the TR4 I had a garage built and a bridge installed; I do not want to trust my car to French mechanics  :lol:.

Posted
Rating:
The best of both worlds eh ?   :thumbs

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
This joke:
"Heaven is where French are cooks, English are police, Italians are lovers, and Germans are mechanics, Swiss are bankers. Hell is where French are mechanics, Germans are police, English are cooks, Swiss are lovers and Italians are the bankers".
Luckily my French friends can laugh with it because they know their mechanics  :lol:.

Posted
Rating:
:mutley :mutley :mutley :mutley

That sounds almost as bad as the world we live in today ……………

'Petermac
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.