A William Clarke style GWR Engine shed building from a kit

Posted
Rating:
#244550 (In Topic #13504)
I would`nt want you to think I hav`nt been busy …..
So, after a lot of thought about an Engine Shed for my ,as yet, unnamed change of layout focus I settled on building  William Clarke style version from Invertrain Models.

There are few if any completed models of this 7mm resin kit on any of the modelling forums that I frequent so the kit has been an unknown entity.

I have chosen the same modifications to the kit as I did for the Station Building kit and the Goods Shed kit that went before.

This time , however, I needed to consider some inside detailing work using slaters embossed stonework sheets, as well as the stonework re-engraving on the outside.  The corners , in particular, needed further work with Milliput to disguise the corner joins.

I was not happy with the supplied shed doors and I decided to remake these with plasticard and make my own hinges from scrap brass.

As before I trimmed the roof size and assembled with the supplied roof trusses to be a separate stand alone unit to aid painting and adding internal shed detailing.

The roof vent also needed to be re-sized to fit the remodelled main roof unit….

Just the window units and chimney to fettle and fit …then into the paint shop…….

Last edit: by Twobolt

Twobolt John
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
The shed is finally ready for the paint stage………

Overall, the project needed a lot of extra remodelling work using Milliput to bring it all up to what I consider to be finescale standard.

I completely rebuilt the chimney stack and added the ridge tiles to match the rest of my buildings for this project.

I think she now looks more Great Western in appearance…….

Twobolt John

Posted
Rating:
Looking very nice indeed – can't wait to see it finished and on your layout.
Gordon :-)

Posted
Rating:
Thankyou Gordon,
Here are some first colour takes of the stonework before final completion……

Twobolt John

Posted
Rating:
Just the chimney stack to paint up and the shed is completed enough to plant in place on my layout.

It`s Sunday afternoon and the shed  is shut  for the time being…………………………………………

Twobolt John

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Very nice  :pathead

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Legacy Member
The business innit.

reg

Posted
Rating:
Looking very, very nice indeed. Is it nearly ready to be planted?
Love that last photo from 'ground level'!

Gordon :-)

Posted
Rating:
Thanks Gordon,
She`s not fully finished yet but has been  planted but not fixed in place yet…….

Meanwhile back at the ranch….. I`m getting on with the whole project…….

Twobolt John

Posted
Rating:
That is a thing of beauty, and I can't believe that I've not seen this post before!Now I need to scour the site for more of your posts…
Cheers,John.B.:thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Brill! :thumbs

Terry

Posted
Rating:
Thankyou John B and Terry,
Despite the Pandemic I have been busying myself with the layout, so it`s about time I continued with the journey…..

Things were stripped back to just the trackwork which was etched primed with Clostermann rattle can grey.

followed by airbrushing with Phoenix Precision track enamels.

as the trackwork wiring and performance has been tested for nearly three years I will leave using a sharp blade to clean the rail tops till after ballasting.

But before then I have used 422 modelling  platform stonework products which I have modified to make more Great Western.

Then a bit of fun with more polystyrene and lightweight filler as an experiment with perspective.

Messy work and then more experimentation with acrylic paints which were referenced to the fibre grass colours to be used later on.

Then time for some railway related lineside Chapel building as a scenic break

Then , to the other end of the station platform some Balsa Wood work making a GWR style coal stage……note the height of the platform which in many cases was much higher to help the poor fireman shove coal into the loco bunkers…..

So, I`m slowly progressing……..

I`d get on even quicker if I stopped getting diverted into yet more loco builds…..

She`s currently in the paint shop……………..

Twobolt John

Posted
Rating:
That small prairie is a handsome beast!!! How much was the kit?

Posted
Rating:
Thanks John,  £300 plus postage.
Not an easy kit to make though.

John

Twobolt John

Posted
Rating:
Bit too dear for a poor boy like me….I'll have to enjoy the experience vicariously through your posts! Can't wait to see her finished and running.

Posted
Rating:
Hello Twobolt,
I have just joined this forum on the basis of seeing your engine shed via Google images. I love your shed and the details you have added. This thread has really inspired me in my yet to be made O gauge layout. 

May I ask how you found this kits quality and where did you get the detail on the roof ridge?

Many thanks.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Rob,
Thanks for your kind comments.

Firstly, I purposely chose resin kits ( Invertrain Models) because the layout is kept in an uninsulated shed and thought they would be least affected by damp… that is successful.

As for the quality of the kits themselves….to be honest I find them expensive for what you get and of a quality ;  average to poor.
I had to do a lot of work to upgrade  them but am happy with the result.

Ridge tiles can be found at S&DModels website.
Replacement roof tiles from Yorkmodelmaking website( although I used the roof exactly as supplied with the Engine Shed Kit )

This kit is the worst for quality parts and I have just discovered that I must completely scratch build a replacement roof as the resin parts supplied have warped badly in this Summers heat wave.

John

Twobolt John

Posted
Rating:
Hello Twobolt,
Thank you for the reply. Sad to hear the kit is on the lower side of quality. Happily, I'm a full time modeller and work with resin every day, so by the sounds of it, It would be best if I just made my shed from scratch. Still, I'm going to use your model as inspiration. 

Out with the Das and carving tools then :-)

Thank you very much for your reply.
All the best to you.

Rob.

Last edit: by RobBush

Posted
Rating:
[user=2285]RobBush[/user] wrote:
Hello Twobolt,
Thank you for the reply. Sad to hear the kit is on the lower side of quality. Happily, I'm a full time modeller and work with resin every day, so by the sounds of it, It would be best if I just made my shed from scratch. Still, I'm going to use your model as inspiration. 

Out with the Das and carving tools then :-)

Thank you very much for your reply.
All the best to you.

Rob.
If you are a master with Das Rob you will produce a far better and satisfying model.

I needed to use dental drill bits to re-engrave all the stonework on these kits as the moulding was terrible.

look forward to seeing your work .

Cheers

John

Twobolt John

Posted
Rating:
[user=1780]Twobolt[/user] wrote:
[user=2285]RobBush[/user] wrote

If you are a master with Das Rob you will produce a far better and satisfying model.

I needed to use dental drill bits to re-engrave all the stonework on these kits as the moulding was terrible.

look forward to seeing your work .

Cheers

John
Wow ! I didn't think they were that bad :sad:
I'd been looking at the Skytrex brick shed, but I really want stone, and it's expensive !

Maybe a new master and fresh set of moulds is the only way to go, then others could be interested as well :cool:
I'll keep you posted here as to what I end up doing.

Thanks.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.