Tinkers End

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5 (Liked by Ed)

East Coast Main Line - in the sun

Just thought I would post an update. I have been busy cutting two more over track signal boxes, one for me and one for a guy up near Derby. I also remembered that I wasn't very happy with the steps to get up to them so have been redesigning them with a half landing. Just at the first trial cut and stick phase so I'll hold off posting a picture until I do the next attempt. I have already had requests for the positioning to be selectable which will be a challenge.

In addition I have cracked on with a three lane engine shed. The centre track goes all the way though and each track has an inspection pit within the shed. Here is a pic of progress so far.

IMG_20240408_163335.jpg

It needs a roof with a smoke vent along the ridge and the inspection pits themselves but it's getting there. There is masses of laser cut brick work so it takes quite a while to cut on the laser. What is shown in the picture is all just placed together, no glue, as it will be easier to paint a lot of it before assembly. My plan is to have one half of the roof removable so people can look inside. I had toyed with the idea of clear panels but I don't think it would look right.

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Wow - that's amazing Dave - absolutely love the roof detail.  I was going to say it would be criminal to cover it up but thankfully, you're going to have a removable panel.

How long did the trusses take to cut - I'm assuming all 2mm MDF …….

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Hi Peter. The trusses aren't that bad actually, I think around 15 mins each. Just gives me time to do a few lessons in DuoLingo between cuts or similar. I have a camera in the cutting enclosure which I can watch from my PC in another room so I can see when it has finished. It is the laser engraving of the ends and sides whichreally take the time.

Posted
Rating:
Urrrggghhhhh - the dreaded Duolingo !!

Liz is doing that and it drives me up the wall.  Hopefully, their Spanish pronunciation is a bit better than their French plus, regardless of whether or not your answer means the same thing, if it's not exactly what THEY wanted, you lose !!!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Now THAT…. is an engine shed! Well worth the time you are spending on it Dave, it's looking great. 

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Thanks. Duolingo may not be great but at least it helps me remember some of the Spanish. Don't really use it that much apart from when we are out with our Spanish friends at the weekends.

The engine shed roof struture is now complete and ready for painting but I probably won't do that before our upcoming visit to the UK later this week. Just off for 10 days to see family and friends.

I have also had a request for my warehouse model.

IMG_20240413_121159.jpg

Each section is approx 100mm long and I have been asked for a 5 section version (3 old and 2 new). I am thinking of having a go at laser engraved brickwork rather than the wraps I used on mine. So stretcher bond for the new bits and english bond for the old bits, just for a bit of variation. I though a brick wall was a brick wall so you live and learn. I have a few more buildings I may offer to make once I am back.

Posted
Rating:

DaveH_Murcia said

Just thought I would post an update. I have been busy cutting two more over track signal boxes, one for me and one for a guy up near Derby. I also remembered that I wasn't very happy with the steps to get up to them so have been redesigning them with a half landing. Just at the first trial cut and stick phase so I'll hold off posting a picture until I do the next attempt. I have already had requests for the positioning to be selectable which will be a challenge.

In addition I have cracked on with a three lane engine shed. The centre track goes all the way though and each track has an inspection pit within the shed. Here is a pic of progress so far.

It needs a roof with a smoke vent along the ridge and the inspection pits themselves but it's getting there. There is masses of laser cut brick work so it takes quite a while to cut on the laser. What is shown in the picture is all just placed together, no glue, as it will be easier to paint a lot of it before assembly. My plan is to have one half of the roof removable so people can look inside. I had toyed with the idea of clear panels but I don't think it would look right.

An impressive looking building.  It will be good to see a finished example, all painted and weathered.

Bob

Posted
Rating:
Yes - painted and weathered should be good Bob.

Most of my modelling attempts look reasonable until I get the paint out then I usually ruin them !!

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
I have to say that's my big worry. Being the common male red/green colour blind and, as I say, colour challenged (I can't remember colours) I really need help in that area. Luckily the wife's hobby is painting so I generally call for help.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.