Porthgarrow

Posted
Rating:

A mixed-scale single-board exhibition layout

[user=606]Sol[/user] wrote:
Be interesting to see Rick if the DCC80 Autofrog works with just DC as compared to DCC !
They assure me it will Sol. I dropped into the shop and explained what was needed. 

Rick
Layouts here and here
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
[user=1753]Gwiwer[/user] wrote:
[user=606]Sol[/user] wrote:
Be interesting to see Rick if the DCC80 Autofrog works with just DC as compared to DCC !
They assure me it will Sol. I dropped into the shop and explained what was needed. 
DCC80s duly fitted.  

The results are inconclusive.  They seem to improve running through two of three points in the "reversed" position only.  

I have taken a look at the locomotive and checked all its contacts.  All have been eased out slightly (within the confines of a OO-9 scale industrial loco!) to make better contact at all times.  Nothing has changed there either.  

I next took the N-gauge class 66 for a test run to see whether a bogie locomotive with all-wheel pick-up would fare any different.  It doesn't.  It still pecks over the frogs where the industrial does and runs nicely through where the industrial now does.  

Baffled isn't the word for it.  I have ordered some electrofrog points.  I didn't want to change the trackwork yet again but this needs to be right before I can proceed with the scenic build.  If I have it right these will not produce a short "as is" because where they both feed to a diamond that now has insulated joiners fitted.  We'll see.  

As Sol may remember electrickery really isn't my strong point and understanding the various needs of differing styles of frog is confusing this bear even more than necessary.  Insulfrog would be easier but with slow running speeds it isn't an option with such tiny locos.  

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
The two unifrog points on the viewing area have been replaced with unswitched electrofrogs. The othere may be so treated later but any slight hesitation over their dead spots will be off-scene. 

As this is a DC layout with “one engine in steam” any stray backfeeds are immaterial. The electrofrog diamond will be wired to and switched by a DPDT switch. It is now fitted with the required insulated joiners on the frog rails. 

The OO-9 track is now therefore down and includes the wagon turntable. This rotates by hand but is unpowered and adds an authentic detail. A dismantled wagon is shown on the spur - one or two of these will eventually be placed around the line.  The other wagon is a wide flat which will be a part of the “engineering” train normally out of use but which will make occasional trips. 

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
More wires have been fitted.  And a few more IRJs.  I have eliminated almost all of the shorts.  There is just one section which still produces a short when the loco attempts to run through but not when the loco is elsewhere.  I'll hang fire until the new software beds in before attempting to upload a diagram.  I'm sure the fix is easy from here - it's just that I haven't a clue what needs fixing.  

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Screenshot 2023-04-03 at 21.39.51.jpeg
OK.  Almost everything works as it should.  IRJs are fitted at all joins within the black hoops thus:-
Four in the big oval to the left - one at each frog rail off the diamond, one at each frog rail off the point.
Two in the small oval to the centre - one at each frog rail off the diamond.
Two in the small oval to the right - one at each frog rail off the point.
Power is fed to the toes of each point as can (just) be seen.  Red for the inner rail, black for the outer.  On the far left side both are wired black but the inner rail is correctly connected under the board to the "red" circuit.
Additional feeds are provided to the diamond via the DPDT switch which also controls frog polarity
An additional "red" feed is provided between the two points on the main circuit i.e. between the two IRJs.
Everything works as intended which ever way the points are set except …..

A short still arises within the large black hoop.It doesn't matter whether both points are set for routes to the diamond or only one.  A short shows in the section between lower left point blades and the diamond.  There is no short on any of the other three routes off the diamond nor from the lower right point through the diamond to the wagon turntable.  

Puzzled.  

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
I have to admit defeat. I cannot find the short across the diamond. Better minds than mine cannot find the short across the diamond. The multimeter cannot pin it down either. 

The diamond has been removed. 

The altered track plan is as shown and is all working fine.

The shed roads require relocation; the turntable road has already been relocated. 

I can at last proceed to the scenic stages which will include the standard gauge line and Porthgarrow station. 

BB8EA32F-74FA-4CE2-B780-AB34DEFC955D.jpeg

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
A pity Rick coz if as you say, 4 IRJs on the diamond & thus isolated from the turnouts & the frogs wired to the DPDT, then all should be good.
Without seeing an actual drawing/schematic  showing the IRJs and wiring & me not be able to teleport to the UK, I am at a loss.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Breaker of Things
breakage is in the usergroup ‘Administrators’

Sol said

A pity Rick coz if as you say, 4 IRJs on the diamond & thus isolated from the turnouts & the frogs wired to the DPDT, then all should be good.
Without seeing an actual drawing/schematic  showing the IRJs and wiring & me not be able to teleport to the UK, I am at a loss.

Those are certainly all words…….I genuinely have no idea what any if this means 😁

Signatures? Where we're going we don't need no stinking signatures!

Posted
Rating:

Sol said

I suspect there is a fault somewhere in the manufacture of the diamond.  Being N-gauge (or OO-9 in my case) the tolerances are very fine and the margins for error small.  It's a distinct possibility.  I still have an otherwise good diamond crossing which might see use in a future project.  And I can remove a little under-board wiring and the DPDT switch.  

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Following satisfactory testing of the revised track layout minus the dodgy diamond ballast is now going down on the narrow gauge line 

IMG_3286.jpeg

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5 (Liked by Ed)
More ballast down. The ng line is almost completed now. The first structures are glued down too - the loco shed and the arch. The latter will form the scenic break and eventually will carry a pathway leading to the beach. 

IMG_3294.jpeg IMG_3295.jpeg IMG_3296.jpeg IMG_3297.jpeg

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
The layout is erected and standing on its feet. The curved Daler Board for the backscene is being fitted. The photographic sheets of overcast sky are placed to ease the tube-rolled curl before fixing to the card. And the only floor space in the room is fully occupied!  

IMG_3478.jpeg IMG_3479.jpeg IMG_3480.jpeg

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
After a certain amount of faffing about the backscene is up. 

This is formed from Daler board, reinforced to double-thickness at the joins and edges, and has an ID Backscenes printed paper overcast sky applied to it. M

Also now in place are the first supports for the upper level which will accommodate the standard-gauge station. A base will be cut from foam-board with the hillside built around it. 

IMG_3500.jpeg

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Not the best photo because the near-zero workspace prevents good access by tge camera for now. 

But it records the fitting of the upper foam-board “deck” upon which the standard-gauge station will be built. 

IMG_3547.jpeg

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
More “general arrangement” pictures. 

The empty skip rake is shown; the other is filled with stone. Damaged skips lie around. Two cottages (one resin moulding) will fit in the scene and just visible in front of those is the heavy-duty winding gear to raise and lower items for the quarry line. 

Two brand new Accurascale Siphon G vans straight from their boxes sit where Porthgarrow station will be built. Stone walls are placed in indicative positions; some are resin others Vollmer card. 

The beach and quayside will be built on an outrigger bolted to the front below the narrow gauge line. A stone sea wall will separate the two. A further small outrigger will be necessary where the standard gauge line runs off-scene in order to accommodate a two-coach-plus-loco train. 

IMG_3550.jpeg IMG_3551.jpeg IMG_3552.jpeg

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
The upper level is ready to have buildings and track placed for spacing. The train will enter and leave through the twin-arched bridge. 

IMG_3572.jpeg IMG_3573.jpeg IMG_3574.jpeg

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Steady progress is being made. 

The upper level is fixed. The station platform has been created from two sheets of foam board topped with Daler card and is also fixed. 

The platform facing will be Vollmer stone-print card and the surface topped with Metcalfe pavers and fine sand. 

Some of the structures are still moving around in order to develop the best fit. The cottages have moved to the lower level because there is currently no way to get road access to them on the upper level. 

IMG_3584.jpeg IMG_3586.jpeg IMG_3587.jpeg

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Stone steps. Handrails not yet fitted but part-painted. 

Scale Model Scenery laser-cut kit with Scalescenes random ashlar download skin 

IMG_3593.jpeg IMG_3594.jpeg IMG_3596.jpeg

Platform part-paved as well 

IMG_3591.jpeg

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Porthgarrow has two current exhibitions booked.

Twickenham & District MRC Open Day on Saturday 29th July.  Kerswell Hall, Wills Cresecent TW3 2JF 10.00 - 16.00
Hayle Railway Modellers exhibition Saturday and Sunday 18th / 19th November.  Venue TBC likely to be Hayle Day Care Centre, Commercal Road TR27 4DE

I had better crack on with the build!!!  

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Going to be a cracker of a,travelling show layout Rick. Also a good way of demonstrating the different gauges.

Following along.

All the best

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.