Wombat Creek Consolidated Mines Pty Ltd

Posted
Rating:

A narrow gauge railway between the mines, the sawmill and the explosives factory

Back in service

The narrow gauge mining railway is up and running again. As mentioned in an earlier post, the original siding at the Big Nugget Mine wasn't long enough for three wagons.

By moving the points into the siding closer to the entry points the siding can take three wagons. Now it is possible to shunt two loaded wagons and a brake van for two empties and the same brake van.

Cheers,
Claus
www.flickr.com/photos/ellef/
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
NQR wagons ready for service

The four open NQR wagons have been finished. The colour is very close to the colour used at the Victorian Railways' narrow gauge railways. The numbers are 21 – 24, with the 10's reserved for covered wagons (only the powder wagon is planned at the moment). The one digit numbers will be used for carriages and brake vans.

The wagons are rather light and prone to derailments. I have cut some steel to add as weight. This makes the wagons far more stable but unfortunately too heavy for the locomotives to pull. I will reduce the steel and load the wagons with firewood and other mining necessities.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
New wagons

Two more wagons have arrived at the narrow gauge railway. They stand out with their European look. But they were cheap! $8.50 for the two of them!

Only a joint in the middle of  the floor reveals they are shortened versions of a general Liliput open wagon. From a side-on view the shortening is not visible. The wagons will be put into service as they are, but at a later stage they will be rebuilt.

Last edit: by Claus Ellef

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Big Box of Bogies

Four sets of bogies arrived from Hattons today. The size of  the box is quite impressive! The bogies will be used under the powder (explosives) wagon and the two brake vans with one set as spare.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Wildlife

I have been asked for a few photos of the wildlife around the railway. Here they are!

Spot the wombat!

Koalas near the creek.

PS: Sorry for the shadows!

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Going underground

wct 230514.jpg
With the Bellcord finished and positioned next to the fire station my attention has turned to the tunnel entrances for the mining railway. The entrance near the bridge/creek could be done at any time, but the position of the entrance near the fire station was more 'precarious', depending on the placement of the fire station. Because of the rather short railway tracks around the mine every millimetre counts. The further 'back' the entrance could be set, the better.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
What is a steam roller doing in a gold mine?

wct 230516.jpg
The chief engineer has again been spending money. This time an unusual purchase for a gold mine – an old steam roller. He is certainly not going to start flatting the surface around the mine. Instead the roller will be taken apart. Only the boiler will be used at the mine. It will be installed in the power house powering the poppet head and the rock crusher (battery).

The engineer's main headache: How to get the roller to the mine site!

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
The layout of the Big Nugget Mine

A common problem (for me at least) is lack of space. The Big Nugget Mine will be limited to the area bordered by the slopes seen in this photo.

wct 230520.jpg
It will work out with the interior tramway handling the firewood for the steam boiler, the tailings from the stamper and the explosives for the underground mine.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Grassy slopes

wct 230528.jpg
The Big Nugget Mine is yet to been built, but the grass has grown on the slopes surrounding the place. Even with a proper crossing of the railway, the road access to the mining site is still pretty bad.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Mock-up poppet head

wct 230531.jpg
I have a drawing of a poppet head from the Victorian goldfields. I can't read the scale, but I have made a mock-up in a suitable size to get an idea how it will fit the space available. The base is a bit wide, but the height is right. I don't want to change the proportions, so I will try to arrange the other features of the mine around it.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

I'm learning lots of mining terms I'd never heard of Claus, great stuff  :thumbs:

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Poppet head

wct 230608.jpg
The main frame of the poppet head has been made from 36 pieces of balsa wood. Still to come is 'flooring' at level 1 and 2, stairs from the ground to level 1 and ladders between the three levels. Two wheels are to be installed at the top. They have already arrived by train. To save money the mine manager has decided to reuse the wheels from the steam roller! At the moment the boiler sits in an unusual position. Later it will be properly propped up.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5 (Liked by Ed)
Progress on the poppet head

wct 230615.jpg
Since the last post the poppet head has seen some progress. At the top the bearings for the two wheels are in place and at lower levels support beams are ready to receive the deckings. The whole structure has been stained. Not the colour I expected, but the colour I got! You never know what the weather will do to your timber works.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:

Claus Ellef said

Progress on the poppet head

wct 230615.jpg
Since the last post the poppet head has seen some progress. At the top the bearings for the two wheels are in place and at lower levels support beams are ready to receive the deckings. The whole structure has been stained. Not the colour I expected, but the colour I got! You never know what the weather will do to your timber works.

Looks good poppet! Really great to cat h up on the work you have done. The narrow gauge is coming on brilliantly. 

Posted
Rating:
Item has a rating of 5 (Liked by Ed)
Poppet head almost ready for use

Summer (!) holidays meant no work done in Wombat Creek.

wct 230716.jpg
Back to the Australian winter and work has re-started on the poppet head. A shaft for the two 'cages' going up and down from the mine is in place, and floor boards are down on level one and two. The green doors are probably not true to the original poppet head at the Golden Hind Gold Mine, but I think they tie in with the colour of the wheels at the top.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
That is excellent Claus!

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:

Marty said

That is excellent Claus!

Thank you, Marty

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
You are really progressing in leaps and bounds, Claus. Lovely work.

:thumbs:

Jeff Lynn,
Amateur layabout, Professional Lurker, Thread hijacker extraordinaire

Posted
Rating:
Engine house under its way

wct 230726.jpg
The poppet head will not work without an engine to hoist the cages up from the underground. The previous purchased steam roller has now been modified. The back with the coal bunker has been cut off and the rest mounted on a 'concrete' base. The fly wheels are from the front rollers. A safety valve and a whistle have been mounted on the top. The coal bunker has been replaced by a stack of firewood made from eucalyptus twigs.

Images of old gold mines all show fully enclosed buildings housing the steam boiler. I don't want the engine hidden from view, so the 'poor' fireman will only be protected from the elements by a tin roof.

Cheers,
Claus

Posted
Rating:
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.