Trying out N Gauge

Posted
Rating:
#287252 (In Topic #21591)
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’

4' x 2' small layout

I started looking at the possibilities of a small N gauge layout over two years ago, but with domestic issues, my mobility problems and then a bereavement, it all got put  on the back burner.

The board measures 1220mm x 610mm and is a left over from the OO gauge garage layout.

I stuck  some 2nd radius cuves down to make an loop and didn't get much further, but after a bit of work on the test Z gauge Noch layout, I fancied something a bit bigger.

Build1.JPG

It seems many Graham Farish and Dapol locos require a  minimum second raduius curve, and to have two circuits on this board the inner would have to be 1st radius.

Second radius on Peco sterack is 10.37" but I was wondering if I'd get away with Kato 9.8" radius for the inner loop and Kato 11" for the outer loop, which I might just be able to sqeeze on to the board.

Kato 4x2.jpg

Not sure f I need the trasition tracks or how happily peco points would fit to them.

I know Mike (Dorsetmike) is using afew bits, but wondered if anyone on here had used their curved tracks and if they had any running issues.

Ed

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Quick test with some Kato 20-110 11" radius curves.

Kato 20-110.jpg

It is a bit near the edge, but I might be able to add something round the sides, just to try and avoid anything taking a nose dive if it does derail.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Ed, it depends on what you want to run. Short wheelbase locos and rolling stock should be fine. Diesels with bo-bo bogies might be OK too. A Deltic or King probably not. You could run a Big Boy up and down the straights 🤪

I've no experience with anything other than Peco track.

A backscene will stop the nosedive to the floor.

Have fun experimenting.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

ATB

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
I've lifted the setrack and I'm just waiting for some more track pieces to arrive, before testing the GF and Dapol stock around the slightly tighter radius curves than that recommended.

Kato Test Track.jpg

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
Barchester is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Watching with interest Ed ( Just a bit small for me lol I struggle with OO !)

Wasnie me, a big boy did it and ran away

"Why did you volunteer ? I didn't Sir, the other three stepped backwards"

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
It's a bit bigger than my other project in Z scale though, slightly less strain on the old eyes Matt :)

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Connected up the first bits of track and quite impressed how well it all goes together.

Don't have to squint to try and get a couple of fishplates to line up as the plastic clips do it for you.

K1.jpg

K4.jpg

It's definitely too near the baseboard edge though.

K2.jpg

K3.jpg

I'm either going to have to attach an extra bit of baseboard around all the edges, or get a new baseboard.

I'm was also pleased to find the points come with extra bits of track, including these two small straights which have the ballasted trackbed shaped to fit, no more trimming sleepers to get the diverging track to fit.

Point Extra Pieces.jpg

Next test is will the locos and stock negotiate the slightly smaller than 2nd radius curves without derailing.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Been running a GF Class 31 and a GF Class 47 for a while round the inner loop with no problems.

But the outer loop really is too near the edge.

toocloseforcomfort.jpg

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff

I'm still debating baseboard size/options and track plans, meanwhile Bob K of this parish did an interesting thread on his layout Tempsford, which shows how to improve the look of Kato Unitrack, if anyone is interested.

N Gauge Tempsford – Your Model Railway

Ed

Last edit: by Ed

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Having read about both the Lymbrook Yard and Trinity Road layouts, which show just what can be done  in 4' x 2', I thought I might try something similar.

For anyone that isn't familiar with either of these layouts, this is a link to Lymebrook Road below, and a browser search of either will produce some YouTube videos.

Lymebrook Yard – Macclesfield Model Railway Group

Both layouts however employ very tight curves which I wish to avoid, so I've ordered a 5' x 2' 6" (1525mm x 762mm) baseboard which is probably about the biggest size I have room for and can also physically manage.

I'm going to use Kato track  and have come up with the following plan.

The orange rectangles represent the visible parts of the station platforms, the imaginary rest being hidden under the raised Scenic section.

The blue and green rectangles are some sort of rail served industries and/or maybe a goods shed.

The long blue strip could maybe be  a river or canal.

Nothing is set in stone yet.

1525 x762 Double Track Twin Platform.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Nice layout. I can see a good location for a signal box.  DC or DCC Ed?

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
DCC Marty, after all it's only two wires  :mutley

Ed

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Interesting track plan you've finished up with there, Ed. Some industry beside the canal would be good. Maybe a wool mill if the era suits.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
It's ended up like this as I found out the Kato Y points are insulfrog, so they had to go.

Some people have also has derailment problems with the #4 points, so I've changed the plan to insert a short straight between the curves and the points.

The industry might be a brewery as I've seen some quite nice Kestral models that might fit.

Brewery Main Building Kit-Kestrel-GMKD1006 | Gaugemaster (gaugemasterretail.com)

Brewery Boiler House Kit-Kestrel-GMKD1007 | Gaugemaster (gaugemasterretail.com)

Ed

Posted
Rating:
I like the idea of a canal, Ed. Those brewery kits do look pretty nice. Are you now just waiting for the baseboard to arrive?

- Darius

Posted
Rating:
The kits look good,Ed, but the price of things has gone through the roof hasn't it.

Cheers Pete.

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
The baseboard should be here next week (fingers crossed)

Kestrel kits are a bit pricey, so I'll have to shop around.

Unfortunately everything in this hobby seems to be getting more and more expensive.

:'(

Ed

Posted
Rating:
This is interesting.

I'd like a continuous-run layout of some sort, but nothing too large, so N gauge would likely fit the bill. My eyes would limit it to being more of a 'watching the trains' layout than operational/shunting (for which I have my OO inglenook) and I'd probably have to rely on ready-to-place structures and scenics.

Will be interesting to see how this one develops. Best of luck with it Ed.

~ James ~
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.