What to do?

Posted
Rating:
#249444 (In Topic #13742)
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I'm a bit stuck.        

After trying out 009 on my test plank, I've now decided I'd like to  have something where I can just watch the trains run round (especially  since I have two Bachmann Baldwins with sound).

I could have a little loop with a few sidings…

.. or I could do a folded figure of eight…

I'm open to all help and suggestion, but maximum size is 4' x 2' (1220mm x 610mm), and preferably slightly smaller.

I don't really want to go go below 9" radius  curves, or an incline of more than 2% (1:50), also due to the Baldwins.

Ed

Last edit: by Ed

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Ed, while the bottom folded plan gives a longer run, I prefer the top plan as it involves more train shunting as well as having a loop to be able to sit with your glass of red and enjoy.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
[user=606]Sol[/user] wrote:
Ed, while the bottom folded plan gives a longer run, I prefer the top plan as it involves more train shunting as well as having a loop to be able to sit with your glass of red and enjoy.
I agree. Go for the top one!

Cheers,
Claus
www.flickr.com/photos/ellef/

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed,

Bit late to this one.

The first plan with dividing back-scene only gives you 50% viewing or operations at a time. Which sort of goes against what you seem to be looking for (watching the trains go by).

The second plan means that a good proportion of the track (somewhere between 10-12 feet) will be on an incline. Why not use a diamond crossing rather than an elevated crossover? Or even a double slip (or its equivalent using a diamond and a couple of turnouts). This would allow running on the outer, on the inner, or on both. The inner track is less than 9" radius as well. How about increasing the width and decreasing the length a bit?

One of the limitations of OOn9 is that although the track is N-scale, the stock is not. When I was doing this I used OO or HO track plans, with adjustment for the narrow gauge track as appropriate. Basically somewhere in between. Trying to compress an OO layout on an 8 x 4 to an OOn9 on a 4 x 2 didn't actually work.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi there,
Initially I though you were planning an N scale layout given that the second plan is more of a mainline looking railway than a quaint narrow gauge set up.  

If that is the case and (a) you are limited to a 4x2, (b) you want to see trains roll by © you want a scenic divide and (d) you might want to dabble with shunting, might I suggest you (or anyone else reading this in N scale) consider the following from Atlas track plans .  To wit…

and perhaps modify it for left hand running by reversing the plan if necessary for you.  The offset of the track at the back would give it a visual interest and I made it a must for my own (relatively) small layout and wish I had done (or been able to do) the same at the front of the layout. Unfortunately I have not updated photos lately and there are few of the back of the layout but I will get some done soon. 

It's double track?  Ok single track it with the single passing siding on the left or right - your call it is your layout - and allow the bigger running space with a smaller yard, not necessarily too long but more than adequate for your stock and a bit of shunting interest… if you change your mind!

Cheers from Australia

Trevor

Last edit: by xdford

Posted
Rating:
Hello Again,
Just following through on the pictures, here is a Budd RDC pair at the back of the layout in several positions to illustrate what I was talking about…

The gentle curve back provides a bit of visual interest and certainly gives the impression of a bigger layout if only in pictures. I took a number of pics of the layout in its early days minus the backdrop in place now and many people I showed them to were increduluous when I told them the size. 

As I said earlier I would have with the benefit of hindsight put an outswinging 200 plus inch redius at the front rather than the straight section!  On a smaller layout as you are planning where the eye can take in the whole layout, it may look exaggerated so I would suggest reducing the curvature a little but keep one just the same!

Hope this helps someone if not yourself as an idea!

Cheers

Trevor
PS,  Near the roof of the cabin which you can see in the last pic (the greyish "triangle")  I had a figurine of a guy lazing as though sitting on the grass, watching trains… that would often be my eye view as well or close to it!

Last edit: by xdford

Posted
Rating:
Have parallel double track as in the bottom one with points cross over. that way you can watch two trains at once running around.

freelance model railways and tramways
index02

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Can't do anything at the moment, I slipped on the stairs and made my already aching arthritic back even worse  :cry:

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Get well Soon… hope whatever you do helps your recovery!  
Cheers from Australia

Trevor

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Sorry to hear that Ed- they build bungalows nowadays I'm told ………………………… :lol:

Hope it's just bruised and that you're soon up and about again.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
We had been looking at bungalows before the current crisis occurred Peter, moving at present is not really viable.

The back is improving, but it's just a case of resting and not moving about more than is necessary.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
oww! Hope your back eases up soon. I slipped on the stairs last winter, gave myself a hell of a shock! Took 3 months for the tail of my spine to stop aching.

Marty
N Gauge, GWR West Wales
Newcastle Emlyn Layout.
Newcastle Emlyn Station is "Under construction"

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
[user=19]Marty[/user] wrote:
Took 3 months for the tail of my spine to stop aching.

Thanks Marty, something to look forward to  :lol:

Actually it's not quite so bad today, but it's very frustrating not being able to do much.

Ed

Posted
Rating:
Sorry to hear of your back issues Ed.
Look on the bright side though, it gives you a bit more time for the planning.
Just for what it might be worth for your track plan, may I suggest two loops with a cross over and points to get you into sidings. That way you will get the best of both worlds. Trains running round and some shunting.
I hope you feel better soon and it is nothing serious.

Gary

I am no expert but I do what I can, when I can, with what I can.

Posted
Rating:

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ed,

I'm on catch-up duty having been away for a bit and am hoping your back is at last easing up.

I've been an occasional back sufferer for decades, after an incident on a snow covered mountain and then, like Marty, had a bad fall needing three months for my bruised cocyx to ease.

Slow and steady Ed, hope to see you soon.

Best,

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Hope you feel better soon Ed……based on years of experience (painful) it seems rest is really the only remedy:cry:…..says he writing in a reclining position after moving one barrow of topsoil too many this afternoon…..

Take it easy…best wishes

John

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Thanks guys.

It's slightly better, but still can't move around much.

Ed

1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.