Loco facilities

Posted
Rating:
#245237 (In Topic #13540)
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
In the days of steam, were there small stations that may have had a steam loco with coal & water facilities but no shed?

I was thinking of having such a facility on one of my stations but don't have room for a shed.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Absolutely.  You might have had a loco in steam tucked away in a bay platform or loco siding ready either to carry out the occasional (and perhaps unplanned) shunting moves or to assist on the main line as required.

Provided it was coaled and watered it could stay there all day if necessary.  Stations which had locos used in such a way always had water and some would have had coal - either from a wagon left there for the purpose or from a small heap on the ground.

Who needs a shed?

Last edit: by Gwiwer

Rick
Layouts here and here

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Thanks Rick.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
Moor Street Station had a crane, water devil and what could be bags of coal, (could be lamps!), plus lumps on the platform. Small coal bunkers would have been for the devil. Locomotive coal consumption was closely monitored, even several hundred weight, hence the  possible preweighed bags. 

I can think of several branchlines where the shed was disused, removed or burnt down, but that maintained coal and water. Often the coal was on a platform under a water tank. Steam engines went through water a lot faster than coal. 2000 gallons of water would take 5 minutes.

Not as common as modeled. And not on mainline platforms.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Indeed, Sol,
Watlington [terminus] , a branch from Princes Risborough of the GWR had an engine shed until 1872, which burned down, its replacment burn down again in 1906 and never replaced, the loco being stored and serviced in the open! Pannier 4650 was the last loco to be used, I think in mid-50s. The site did have an unusual carriage shed, goods shed, small signal box and an interesting short platform with a wooden extension, the station building is a little beauty.
 I can send you some drawings if needed, or you could try and source 'The Watlington Branch of the Great Western Railway' by Brian J. Dickson. (No ISBN number)It has a number of 4mm scale structure drawings, etc.
John Ahern photographed it, and made certain warm recommendations that it would make a 'compact branch terminus' in the 1950 [September] issue of The MOdel Railway News'.

Good luck,

Douglas

Last edit: by Chubber

'You may share the labours of the great, but you will not share the spoil…'  Aesop's Fables

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

In the land of the slap-dash and implausible, mediocrity is king

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
This is where it will be stabled at my station Marabost

The standard brake van will be used on the normal outgoing goods       while the brake coach wil be on the Watchit Mixed goods.
There will be a coal load wagon once every few days, gets unloaded       & the empty wagon will go back to Bruton.

Ron

Posted
Rating:
 Hi Ron,
Adelaide Station in the 50's had a coal platform and water facilities but no engine shed or turntable, I think Brinkworth and Wallaroo also in SA also did not have such a cover for engines.

Many branchlines in the UK as well as Australia did not have sheds so in short go for it! 

It  a) was more common than you would think
    b) It is your railway!

Cheers

Trevor

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Thanks Trevor

Ron
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.