Small O Gauge layout

Posted
Rating:
#235902 (In Topic #13015)
Guest user

How to make a start

Been trying to work out how to go about making a layout in my 12ft x 8ft shed.
I have decided to use one side of the shed so this is about 11ft6inch x 2ft6inch.
All sounds straight forward .
Problem is I just get stuck on how to go about it.
I would like to make an Industrial type layout so small tank locos and wagons would be nice shunting wagons around would be great fun.
I would be very grateful for some advice on how best to make a start.
Sorry if this sounds silly but I just come to a halt when trying to work out what to do and I'm itching to get started.
Mark
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Hi Mark

Everyone has their own ideas when choosing a track plan and environs.

I've either copied and existing area in the real world, or more often just worked out what buildings I would like and then work the tracks out to service them.

So, my current layout is a wharf, with various sheds and an administration building for the Harbour Master and Pilot Offices upstairs; and emergency vehicles downstairs.

The back of the warehouses will have a street scene, with a tramway.

Check out the link below my signature to Port Elderley.

My previous layout (Olpharts Crossing), has warehouses and the refuelling point one end, with the yard and workshop at the other.

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=13158&forum_id=151&highlight=Olpharts+Crossing

I hope that has given you some food for thought.

We are in the throes of selling and moving house (and other diversions), so the railways have been a bit neglected of late.   :oops:

Cheers
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Mark,

Carendt.com or wymann.info/shuntingpuzzles, both are full of great ideas. Inglenooks and time-savers can both be modified to look like the prototypes.

At this point you should decide whether you want a small fiddle yard or sector plate at one end to ring the changes.

If you can use a short wall you could have the fiddle or sector there. If you have a small fiddle or sector at either end that would allow through running as opposed to terminus operations. If you can use both short walls you are golden.

I faced the same challenge when I moved to On30 and a 5 x 4.75 foot "layout room" (in reality a large cupboard which is also the storage space and workshop). I went for an inglenook on a curve, there is actually enough room for an inglenook and a time-saver. See "The Back Mill" topic.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thank you that's given me food for thought I like the Idea of deciding what buildings to have on the layout.
Also using one short wall as well as a long one.
Mark
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Not sure if this is any help Mark, found it some time ago.

http://www.amherstrail.org/ABEL/Downloads/Shelf-Layouts.pdf

There are three O Gauge layouts although the sizes are a bit bigger than what you have available.

Ed

Last edit: by Ed

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Thanks Ed that's very inspiring .
Mark
Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.