Figures..how to paint them

Posted
Rating:
#232752 (In Topic #12748)
Guest user

Easy way to get a human look.

Would anyone be interested in a method to produce a good result quickly..I can produce a short "how to" if wanted. Its based on painting war games figures quickly and accurately using the natural curves of the mould of the figures.
Gary
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Gary and yes please, as I have several sets of 4mm loco crew and seated passengers to paint and I'm changing my old method and paint type and am open to new ways of figure painting.

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Ok…Give me a few days to get my act together, hopefully will help to get a realistic look.  Weathering locos will be a new adventure for me so will have to wade thtough a few online resources.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
No problem Gary and I have a timber floor to sand and seal before I get into the railway room!

Good luck with the weathering research. I assume you have a suitable guinea pig to start with!

Bill

At 6'4'', Bill is a tall chap, then again, when horizontal he is rather long and people often used to trip over him! . . . and so a nickname was born :)

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
No examples to follow...seen some cracking efforts using various modelling methods so hope to get my head round it sooner rather than later.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Go for it, Gary.   :thumbs

Posted
Rating:
Really looking forward to it Gary.

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Likewise! :thumbs

John
Granby III
Lenz DCC,RR&Co Gold V10 A4 Windows 10

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Dapol passenger figures purchased.  Looked at the bachmann figures which were decent but  lacked shadows etc.  I have also viewed the Chinese versions on ebay, about £2.00 for 100 figures, cant see any way of rescuing them,  I would imagine they are fine at the back of the layout.  Just need to run my daughter back to uni tomorrow and will attack them on monday.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Okay Gary, I'll try and keep up with you. I have a box of those figures, the Airfix version, together with a load of white metal ones from John Day, Dart Castings and Monty's. I'll set up a work station and await further instructions .  .  .

Safe trip tomorrow with your daughter.

Bill

Posted
Rating:
Look forward to the tutorial Gary. Brilliant idea and not one that I have seen before.
Those figures from fleabay are a waste of space. I have two packets of them and apart from not being to scale as it said on the packet, they are really poor quality. You pays your money!

Gary

I am no expert but I do what I can, when I can, with what I can.

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
I'm still looking for a pilot bust for my 1/4 scale aircraft, if anyone knows of a supplier.    :cool:

Posted
Rating:
Guest user
Nothing complex Bill, I was shown a  method to paint figures by a chap who made a living at it.

He knocked out hundreds of 15 mm wargames figures a day.  His larger scale figures were a work of art.

Just viewed the Montys models they will come up a treat, they look like lovely castings.

Gary
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Complex has its place, but quick and easy sounds more appropriate for 4mm figures!

Soon,

Bill

Posted
Rating:
[user=269]MaxSouthOz[/user] wrote:
I'm still looking for a pilot bust for my 1/4 scale aircraft, if anyone knows of a supplier.    :cool:
Have you looked at the 'Sportsman Series'? They do 1/4th scale in their range.

Also Tailored Pilot, they do whole pilots but they may do you a bust.

Premier Pilots USA based
Perfect Pilots UK based do partial bodied pilots

Nexus modelling supplies in the UK sell a range of 1/4th bust pilots too.

Hope this helps, all the best John.

Oh, Dr Beeching what have you done?
There once were lots of trains to catch, but soon there will be none.
I'll have to buy a bike, 'cos I can't afford a car.
Oh, Dr Beeching what a naughty man you are!

Posted
Rating:
I've lost so much weight over this move Max, I think I'll probably fit the bill …………………………… :cheers

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Thanks, John.

I'll search those.

Cheers

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=6]Petermac[/user] wrote:
I've lost so much weight over this move Max, I think I'll probably fit the bill …………………………… :cheers
Maybe I'll move, Peter.  I could do to lose some . . . .   :lol:

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
[user=2094]Western Way[/user] wrote:
Have you looked at the 'Sportsman Series'? They do 1/4th scale in their range.

Also Tailored Pilot, they do whole pilots but they may do you a bust.

Premier Pilots USA based
Perfect Pilots UK based do partial bodied pilots

Nexus modelling supplies in the UK sell a range of 1/4th bust pilots too.

Hope this helps, all the best John.

That is a great list.  Thanks, John.   :thumbs

I couldn't find the Sportsman Series, but there is plenty of scope with the rest of them.

Some have moving parts and servos; no less!

I appreciate your help.

Cheers

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Premier Pilots came through, John.   :thumbs

http://www.premierpilots.net/id25.html 

Whoops!

Thanks again.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.