Posted
Rating:
#230704 (In Topic #12626)
Guest user

Hello all I am Dave

Hello all,I am pleased to join YMRC. Have recently retired and hoping to create a OO gauge layout. My direction leans to a brewery themed project. Have a good grounding in DIY but have much to catch up with regarding modelling. Would be glad of advice with regard to suitable soldering stations for general electrics and also kit building in brass and white metal. I am aware that Antex have discontinued what appeared to be suitable.
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Ed
Site staff
Ed is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Hi Dave.

I don't use a soldering station, but I'm sure someone will be along soon with some views and/or recommendations.

:Welcome

Ed

Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Welcome, Dave.   :cheers

Posted
Rating:
Welcome  :hiYou could try Weller which are a very well known name in soldering irons.

"The only stupid question is the one you don't ask"
Regards.
Tony.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Dave.  I have a Weller 50W soldering station with tip temp. feedback.  These are pricey but very good.  I only use mine for kits though.  I also have a Weller stand alone iron that is good for general purpose.  A soldering station might be a bit unwieldy for soldering wire to track because it needs to be moved a lot.  A stand alone might be better.

Word of warning (I've fallen into this trap a couple of times) don't buy cheap irons, I've had a couple and the tip has oxidized almost immediately.  You should expect to spend a few pounds for a decent iron.

Look forward to hearing about your modelling efforts.

John

John

Posted
Rating:
Hello Dave,

Welcome to the club.

Jeff

Jeff

Posted
Rating:
Hi Dave,

Welcome to the club. Soldering irons, hot topic around here. Really depends on what you want you want to do. Unlike John I go for cheap and cheerful. And you need more than one. My latest one cost $15, 15 Watt, pencil type with micro tips, temperature regulated, and has been going strong for over a year now. Big jobs I use the 60 Watt iron, $20, 2 years old. In between jobs I use a 15-45 Watt iron. $15 and 5 years old. If you regularly use tinner the tips last for a couple of years. Corrosive flux is the kiss of death for the tips. I use water based organic ones. Unless you are trying to solder steel, corrosive fluxes are not necessary for brass/white metal as long as it's clean and grease-free.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Site staff
spurno is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Hi Dave and welcome to the club.I have a cheap soldering station from Lidl's,about £8.00 which seems to be ok for general use but then i'm not into white metal or brass kits.

Regards

Alan

Born beside the mighty GWR.

Posted
Rating:
Ted
Inactive Member
Hi Dave
 Welcome to the club .
 A brewery theme sounds  a great idea .
 Why not nip up the road  to Yarmouth , I think the old
 Lacons Brewery buildings are still there .
 Regards Ted

Posted
Rating:
Inactive Member
Welcome to the site:hi (even if you are from the Dark Side  S:twisted::twisted:folk)

The original Lacon buildings were demolished between 1980 and 1997. To be replaced by flats and a supermarket LACONS BREWERY - Gt YARMOUTH

Luckily Lacon's had deposited their brewers yeast for safety  in the National Yeast Bank and now Lacon's have been revived https://www.lacons.co.uk/ in GY.

I hate to say it although the brewery is in GY the head office is in……..Lowestoft…

Still worth  a visit though:cheers

I'd advise using the search function and you'll find all sorts of useful information hidden way in these files…

A welcome from North Norfolk….

Now I've finally started a model railway…I've inherited another…

Posted
Rating:
Hello Dave and welcome. :Welcome
Terry

Posted
Rating:
Welcome Dave from a fellow Suffolkonian (now living elsewhere). I think it is the better side of East Anglia - dark or not. Nice info from The Q though. Good luck with your endeavours and I have to say, I like your idea of a brewery themed layout. What era are you toying with?

Gary

Gary

I am no expert but I do what I can, when I can, with what I can.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Dave welcome from Cornwall.Piran

Posted
Rating:
Hello Dave welcome to the club.

Always try to look on the bright side of life!

Barney

Posted
Rating:
Welcome Dave… You will find lots of help here no matter what it is you're trying to do. I know that I have been inspired and helped numerous times, even though my small level of experience means I can't pass very much on myself!

Mike
Pig Hill Yard - a small Inglenook shunting layout for my boys, in 00.
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.