Brian White's Model Railway Layout

Posted
Rating:
#225820 (In Topic #12317)
Guest user

Update and New Website Address

Hi,
I joined Your Model Railway Club on the 25th January 2013 and since then a lot of new features have been added (and some not-so-good ones subtracted) to my layout.
First off, I've changed my website (the new one is at : http://www.bew-model-railway.simplesite.com) where you can now look at a lot of pictures, videos and write-ups of the layout.
The really big step forward was the fact that I was able to write some programs to allow some trains to run completely independently without any help from anyone. My DCC controller was originally a Bachmann Dynamis which does work well, but contrary to the "no cables" adverts and in my opinion, seems to battle to maintain control when walking around the layout. Also, the Dynamis cannot be interfaced with a computer. 
I switched to a NCE (North Coast Engineering) system which has a USB interface and although a bit tricky to set up works well. The programming is in Javascript with the help of JMRI and I have to admit, it took me quite a while to get the computer to talk to the locos on the layout but in the end it all turned out well too.
The functions on each loco of course are not all the same but homing in on each loco individually and noting their respective functions, I could write these into the program. For those that are interested in computer control (in parallel to the NCE controller, in my case) and what is possible, a typical program could go like this :
  1. Call up loco address (say Loco No. 15)
  2. Start engine
  3. Switch on headlights
  4. Move loco out of shuntyard at a low speed
  5. When clear of the shuntyard and on the mainline, accelerate to 50% speed
  6. As approaching first station (say Marydale Station) decelerate to 25% speed
  7. Creep into Marydale station and stop
  8. While stopping sound brakes being applied
  9. Sound engine in idling mode
  10. Wait 15 seconds (for passengers)
  11. Sound Guard's whistle for 2 seconds
  12. Move loco out of Marydale station at a speed of 25%
  13. When clear of the station and on mainline accelerate to 50% speed
The program then continues for 4 stations, basically following the above flow chart, and finally returns to the shuntyard, parking in the correct shed.

The fact that the computer programs/s can be changed infinitely adds to the excitement of the layout because at the end of the day it comes down to one's own creativeness as to what can be accomplished. However, I'm also quick to add that it is of course not only the computer that can make a layout hum but also the general all round creativeness of the owner/operator. The attention to detail and creativeness still accounts for 99% of total image of the layout, in my opinion.
Brian. 
Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
It all sounds rather complicated but nevertheless, interesting Brian.

Maybe you could run through how you've done some of those things on here for the benefit of those who would be interested.  You could open a thread under an appropriate heading.  Anyone not interested in "the dark side" could simply skip it ……………… ;-)

'Petermac
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Hi Brian always nice to read about your scenic modelling up dates, Very interesting reading
Best of Luck from South Wales

Noviceman
Online now: No Back to the top
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.