Cobalt Point Motors

Posted
Rating:
#199713 (In Topic #11075)

versus Wire in the Tube

Hi All         I am really torn between Wire in the Tube with SPDT slide switches(being able to change the polarity), and going to the bother of Wiring up point motors especially the Cobalt, 40 odd years ago Hammant and Morgan were the best "IMHO" available as I could wire my "Home made colour light (with route indicator) to the point motor. Once the route was set to leave the mainline with a green signal, At least it would be better than the model railway "Equivalent of S P A D S ", as often seen on youtube.  ATB  Kevin

Staying on the thread Kevin.
Online now: No Back to the top

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
I guess Kevin, it is a toss up between spending little in money & and a lot in time using wire in tube, etc  compared to spending lots of money but less time using Cobalts.

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron             Thank you, but I was hoping that you would go along with Gary and Gormo who seem to have made life easier for:) themselves with "wire in the tube". Electrical gadgets do have a tendency to let you down, when you least expect it:sad:. I will have to think about this a bit more and ;-)in the meantime depend on my "Reliable Forefinger" (the one I type with) all the best             Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Sol
Site staff
Sol is in the usergroup ‘Super-moderators’
Kevin, I use 3 methods
wire in the tube
Tortoise/ cobalt
solenoid units like Peco

Ron
NCE DCC ; 00 scale UK outline.

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Caboose Hobbies ground throws will switch the polarity. Simple lever beside the points. Fast Tracks do a wire system switch unit with polarity switching built in. This is low technology (wood!).

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel             I have heard of U P S;-), but Caboose Hobbies, Eebygum etc. sound completely foreign:oops: to me. I suppose they are quite handy for you?? I am currently on "Doctors Orders" to rest with my legs elevated, and in the middle of a long dry spell, I have been unable to visit my Fruit Trees, on the allotment, let alone sit up at my PC all day. But one day, soon, maybe??  ATB  Kevin:)

Posted
Rating:
Hi Ron             That sounds complex;-), I like to keep things simple:???:. That is when I get round to laying my shunting puzzle and that is not a pun, But after buying the Points I read that my "New" Bachmann 08 shunter was not suitable for 1 st Radius Points?? now that really is too much for me to take in?? But that nearly drifted from the "THREAD", Wire in Tube for the Puzzle. ATB Kevin

Last edit: by Passed Driver

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

Apologies - Caboose Industries point lever, Sharp Models in the UK carries them. Fast Tracks is a Canadian company, their Bullfrog range of hand controlled switch mechanisms is excellent. It comes with an SPDT, one more can be added. If you DIY don't use bicycle spokes, use wire used in model plane control systems. Handlaidtracks.com.

Living in North America and modeling UK means extra research and a lot of mail order from the UK. A lot of excellent "HO" items are out there that can be used in OO. Canadian items are a steal given the exchange rate. 

Ee by gum lad, it's ebay or nowt. Or Amazon (my wife has a prime account, free shipping on most things and order today, here tomorrow).

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel       I didn't mean to be rude about you living on the other side of the Atlantic, but sometimes one tends to forget these things:oops:.Thank you for your reply,                    all the best  Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

No offence taken. The point is that there really are a lot of good things out there that most people in the UK are unaware of. The Fast Tracks products are just one example. For most modelers in North America mail order is the rule not the exception. For UK outline modelers it often means from the UK.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel.    I just viewed a Fast Tracks "Expert" assembling a set of points(turnout) and must say that the Expert did make it look easy??
And it might be that easy, but, I'm yet to be convinced. Now if the £ was as strong now as it once was? and I was still drawing a salary, instead of being a pensioner things might be different. ATB.    Kevin

Posted
Rating:
Hi Kevin,

How about this as a manual control:

Blue Point switch machine turnout controller, No electrickery or motor, designed for rod control. $10.95. There is a DPDT snap-action toggle switch inside to change frog polarity, etc., and which holds the switch rails against the running rails. Not sure about UK suppliers.

Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Hi Nigel, that switch thingy looks very impressive and a reasonable price to boot, do you have a name for the manufacturers or a web site? 

Pete. 

it was already on fire when I got here, honest!

Posted
Rating:
Hi Pete,
A-line, and they do not export. Micromark has them on special at this price. Cheaper by 5 and even better by 10. Last I heard they do international mail order. Walthers has them at $13.95. Typical. List is $12.95. Lot smaller than a Tortoise. 
Any issues PM me and I'll see what I can do.
Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips

Posted
Rating:
Are those prices US or Canadian dollars Nigel ?

'Petermac

Posted
Rating:
US, more's the pity. El cheapo would be the wood version from Fast Tracks, based in Ontario. This one takes 2 DTDP switches. Next on my tryitout list. My aim is to have the engines, frogs and Lenz ABC units DCC, the rest hands-on. Luddite control.
Nigel

©Nigel C. Phillips
1 guest and 0 members have just viewed this.